Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,369
0 members and 1,369 guests
No Members online

Old 09-17-2009, 09:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Councils for APO

What councils are Alpha Phi Omega on at various universities and what other groups are in those councils. I would imagine that if Gamma Sigma Sigma is on campus, they would be on the same council, but are they "Other greek councils" with groups like KKPsi and Tau Beta Sigma Band or are they "Service Councils" with groups like Circle K, Rotaract and Alternative Spring Break?
Old 09-18-2009, 12:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Explicit
At WPUNJ, the chapter is on the UCGC Council - United Cultural Greek Council. At other colleges it could be called the Multicultural council. I think they put us there since we accept people of all cultures, though most of the other organizations on the council are culture-specific.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explicit View Post
At WPUNJ, the chapter is on the UCGC Council - United Cultural Greek Council. At other colleges it could be called the Multicultural council. I think they put us there since we accept people of all cultures, though most of the other organizations on the council are culture-specific.
Could someone join more than one of the *other* groups on the council?
Old 09-18-2009, 09:41 AM
stargazertechie

At Grand Valley we are not considered a "greek organization" but rather fall under the Service and Advocacy board. It does limit what we are allowed to do as a fraternity (cannot call our pledges "pledges", must call them new members, etc)
Old 09-18-2009, 01:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazertechie View Post
At Grand Valley we are not considered a "greek organization" but rather fall under the Service and Advocacy board. It does limit what we are allowed to do as a fraternity (cannot call our pledges "pledges", must call them new members, etc)
Do they limit how long the intake process can be? And do you use any sort of program that is modified in things other than terminology?
Old 09-18-2009, 02:45 PM
GreekChat Member

just as it was mentioned above we were never allowed to be on any councils. We fell under the oversight of the community service department. They never really got on us about pledging or any chapter functions but they did tell us what service projects we could do and how many brothers had to show up. Anything on campus had to be cleared by them.

This also hurt our ability to fund raise and get money from campus. Our budget was overseen by the department which gave us a stipends each semester. Not the best way to operate but those were the rules.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:36 PM
GreekChat Member

At most schools they may have one or more greek councils (NFC, etc.), which usually have the various social GLOs.

As we are not social, APO is usually put in with all the other campus organizations, which usually include the professional GLOs as well. If schools organize the 'non greek' groups further, APO would probably be put with service orgs.
Section 71 Chair
Old 09-19-2009, 12:07 AM
stargazertechie

As for limiting us on intake etc- we're not limited on our intake process at all. We're looking at 10 weeks for new member ed this fall, and working on instituting the pledge program of excellence.

We pretty much just substitute "new member" for pledge, and I believe that our president said that the "P" on the pin stood for preperation, which makes sense.

Yeah, we slip up every once in awhile, but the PC ninjas havent dropped out of the celing yet to break our necks so I'm not too worried!
Old 09-19-2009, 08:45 AM
88Lover

at my school, APO is considered a Service Student Organization, which has caused a few problems. Since people just see us as a student org., people will either join their first semester during their freshmen year and never return once they join PanHel or IFC or they join their Senior year so they can have Greek letters
Old 09-19-2009, 08:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emb021 View Post
At most schools they may have one or more greek councils (NFC, etc.), which usually have the various social GLOs.

As we are not social, APO is usually put in with all the other campus organizations, which usually include the professional GLOs as well. If schools organize the 'non greek' groups further, APO would probably be put with service orgs.
At GT when I was there, APhiO, OPhiA, KKPsi, TBS, and AKPsi were all considered just "student orgs". Only social GLOs were part of councils.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
Could someone join more than one of the *other* groups on the council?
You can join another group on that council, but it seems frowned upon. So you can try and join another group on that same council, or in a different council (which is not as frowned upon).

Old 09-22-2009, 09:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
You can join another group on that council, but it seems frowned upon. So you can try and join another group on that same council, or in a different council (which is not as frowned upon).
I meant two groups that on the council *other* than APO. So the council is something like "asian sorority 1", "asian sorority 2", "asian fraternity", "hispanic fraternity", "local black sorority not allowed on in local NPHC", etc...
Old 09-22-2009, 11:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I meant two groups that on the council *other* than APO. So the council is something like "asian sorority 1", "asian sorority 2", "asian fraternity", "hispanic fraternity", "local black sorority not allowed on in local NPHC", etc...
The council is represented in that fashion, yes. It's mostly hispanic fraternities and sororities. I got confused with what you were saying. If a different sorority or fraternity member wanted to join another group on that council, they could. But that would be EXTREMELY frowned upon. It would be seen as an extreme act of disloyalty. Furthermore, since both groups would be considered social GLO's, one would have to disaffiliate with the first group before trying with the second group.

APO at WPUNJ is considered a service GLO even though we're in the UCGC council. What groups you can join is monitored by type of organization, (social, service, or professional). So technically you can join 3 GLO's on the campus. I'm an APO, I am also a Tri-Beta (professional). I would be free to join one social GLO, regardless of council.

Does that make more sense now?

Old 09-22-2009, 01:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
The council is represented in that fashion, yes. It's mostly hispanic fraternities and sororities. I got confused with what you were saying. If a different sorority or fraternity member wanted to join another group on that council, they could. But that would be EXTREMELY frowned upon. It would be seen as an extreme act of disloyalty. Furthermore, since both groups would be considered social GLO's, one would have to disaffiliate with the first group before trying with the second group.

APO at WPUNJ is considered a service GLO even though we're in the UCGC council. What groups you can join is monitored by type of organization, (social, service, or professional). So technically you can join 3 GLO's on the campus. I'm an APO, I am also a Tri-Beta (professional). I would be free to join one social GLO, regardless of council.

Does that make more sense now?

Yes, it does. So functionally it sounds like the remainder of the the UCGC is made up of social fraternities/sororities, even if they are "ethnic". Did APO join it by choice or did it get assigned there?

Is there actually anything preventing you from joining more that one professional fraternity? Someone with a double major or a minor should be able to join more than one, right?
Old 09-22-2009, 02:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yes, it does. So functionally it sounds like the remainder of the the UCGC is made up of social fraternities/sororities, even if they are "ethnic". Did APO join it by choice or did it get assigned there?

Is there actually anything preventing you from joining more that one professional fraternity? Someone with a double major or a minor should be able to join more than one, right?
One can join more then one professional, but they must be a different type.

My dad is a member of a social, and 2 professionals: law and business.
Section 71 Chair