GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,157
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, craig171
» Online Users: 1,181
3 members and 1,178 guests
Cookiez17, flirt5721, John

Old 05-03-2001, 01:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Angry

I am appalled. That's the only decent word I can use to explain how I feel.
Old 05-03-2001, 01:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax
Actually the site has been up for a while. The ZTA pin is actually from my 'home' chapter and from the year the chapter was chartered.

Since ownership is difficult to prove, it's just about impossible to 'go after' these collectors.

Barbara

Old 05-04-2001, 12:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Post Sorority/Fraternity pins for sale on the 'Net

Hey all you GC'ers.... check out the new "pin selling" site that went up this past week....
http://www.VintageFraternityPins.com

What do people think of this?

------------------
Oh, Kappa Kappa Kappa Gamma,
I'm so happy that I am a
Kappa Kappa Kappa Gamma,
Nobody knows . . . how
happy I am!
Old 05-04-2001, 02:38 AM

I hate the fact how collectors make money off something that people like us hold sacred. I've seen a Pi Sigma Epsilon pin from our founding year go on sale on Ebay and if only I had the money I would have bought it to keep it off the hands of non members.
i guess it's just hard for these collectors to understand how we feel about this topic. Theyr'e so selfish! Our national headquarters just told us to put in our will that our survivors not put the pin for sale, and instead either return it to nationals or bury us with it.
Old 05-05-2001, 07:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

This whole thing makes me sick. The nice thing is that when I've bought pins/bidded, members of my sorority were really nice about asking whether I was a member or not. It just shows that so many of us care about our heritage and keeping our pins safe. Just keep in mind, y'all, what comes around, goes around!
Old 05-06-2001, 04:01 PM
GreekChat Member

It's unfortunate that they are obviously out to make a good profit off of their findings. While I don't think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, at least they seem to be trying to return the pins to their respective fraternities. Unlike some sellers who don't care who they sell to (ebay, anyone?).
Old 05-06-2001, 09:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to pirate00 Send a message via Yahoo to pirate00
On one hand, it shows how much the non-Greek population admire our pins as things of beauty, which they are. On the other hand, if they wanted to possess a fraternity/sorority pin so badly, then why didn't they go through the process of joining a GLO like the rest of us? I imagine a member of any organization (GLO, Elk, Mason, etc.) would be extremely upset if they saw their objects that are reserved solely for their members or bretheren up for grabs to the general public! As for me, I will ensure that I am buried with my pin.

-pirate00
Alpha Phi Omega www.apo.org
Kappa Upsilon www.geocities.com/apoku_99
East Carolina University www.ecu.edu

"As scouting is worldwide, so should Alpha Phi Omega be worldwide, gradually in the colleges and universities of all nations."
-- Frank Reed Horton, Founder

"To be of service is a solid foundation for contentment in this world."
-- Charles William Eliot

" I believe in sharing Alpha Phi Omega. I tell people about it all the time. And
certainly I know the good feeling that comes from sharing APO with others through
service projects."
-- Jack McKenzie, National President

[This message has been edited by pirate00 (edited May 06, 2001).]
Old 05-08-2001, 10:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pirate00:
On one hand, it shows how much the non-Greek population admire our pins as things of beauty, which they are. On the other hand, if they wanted to possess a fraternity/sorority pin so badly, then why didn't they go through the process of joining a GLO like the rest of us? I imagine a member of any organization (GLO, Elk, Mason, etc.) would be extremely upset if they saw their objects that are reserved solely for their members or bretheren up for grabs to the general public! As for me, I will ensure that I am buried with my pin.

-pirate00

[This message has been edited by pirate00 (edited May 06, 2001).]
I probably will be buried with an Alpha Phi Omega pin as well, but since in my chapter, the tradition is that you pass down pins to your littles, the pin that I had when I left college was the one that I bought after I gave my pin to my little. SInce then I've put pins through the wash (they don't survive that well) and other similar things. OTOH, I bought on ebay an Alpha Phi Omega pin from the 1950's that is about half the size of what I have now. I'm happy I have that pin and I'm not really sure how I would have gotten it if they didn't sell such things on ebay.

Fortunately with Alpha Phi Omega pins (the standard ones) being brass and non-jeweled, the bids don't get up into the stratosphere, the way the ones for other GLOs do.

------------------
Naraht
Alpha Phi Omega Alumni Volunteer
Old 05-08-2001, 07:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to pirate00 Send a message via Yahoo to pirate00
OTOH, I bought on ebay an Alpha Phi Omega pin from the 1950's that is about half the size of what I have now. I'm happy I have that pin and I'm not really sure how I would have gotten it if they didn't sell such things on ebay.

[/B][/QUOTE]Well, it's a good thing that you received the pin and not a non-Brother, because only Brothers are to possess APO paraphernalia. I wish that along with the APO "store", there was a sort of exchange set up between the brothers where old pins and other things could be traded and sold AMONGST OURSELVES and not with the general public. This would be a place where all used paraphernalia would end up, and other fraternities/soroities could model this system as well. What does everyone think of this idea?

-pirate00
Alpha Phi Omega www.apo.org
Kappa Upsilon www.geocities.com/apoku_99
East Carolina University www.ecu.edu

"As scouting is worldwide, so should Alpha Phi Omega be worldwide, gradually in the colleges and universities of all nations."
-- Frank Reed Horton, Founder

"To be of service is a solid foundation for contentment in this world."
-- Charles William Eliot

[This message has been edited by pirate00 (edited May 08, 2001).]
Old 05-08-2001, 08:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Have Pirate or Randy ever purchase a fratenity lavalier from the APQ/GSS website. http://members.tripod.com/~APQGSS/newbindex.html

Check it out.

------------------
JayBEE!

Ay-Phi-Que!
Alpha Alpha Lambda Chapter
Alcorn State Unversity
Fall, October 18th 1980
President, Brothers of the Rising Sun, Atlanta Alumni Chapter of Alpha Phi Omega
JayBEE's State Of Mind
The AyPhiQueGammaSig Family Homepage
Old 09-21-2001, 04:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Sorority/Fraternity pins for sale on the 'Net

Hmmm....

Quote:
Originally posted by imsohappythatiama
Hey all you GC'ers.... check out the new "pin selling" site that went up this past week....
http://www.VintageFraternityPins.com

What do people think of this?

------------------
Oh, Kappa Kappa Kappa Gamma,
I'm so happy that I am a
Kappa Kappa Kappa Gamma,
Nobody knows . . . how
happy I am!
Old 09-21-2001, 10:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Angry Argh!!!!

This makes me so mad!!! I have personally bought six Alpha Phi pins, which were being sold on E-bay, including a 50-year pin, which are not only hard to come by, but an honor to possess that only a lifelong member should get to enjoy.

I have spent a lot of money trying to make sure non-Alpha Phis don't get their slimy hands on our pins. (Sorry, this just makes me so angry!!) I hope all Greeks who are able, will try to outbid these non-Greek "collectors."

Sorry for being so harsh, it is just an issue I feel very strongly about.

Greek Love,
Jen
Old 09-22-2001, 09:49 AM

It bothers me a lot... I didn't see any AEPhi pins on the site imsohappythatiama posted, but I have seen one or two on ebay (and I don't check there all that often).

On the one hand, I don't mind that they're available for sale *to sisters* (or even to new members) who want a badge with some history behind it. If I have a daughter and she joins AEPhi, I will give her my badge - but I may decide I still want a badge of my own, and I don't know how happy I'd be with a shiny new one from national.

On the other hand, non-members are buying up these pins, as well as those of other GLO's, and either turning around and selling them to members for a profit, or disassembling them for the pearls/diamonds/gold/etc they're made from. Ugh. Makes me sick.
Old 09-22-2001, 10:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Question

Should we be more upset that members (or their estates) are selling the pins for a quick profit, or that people with no connection are buying them?
Old 09-23-2001, 01:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Angry BOTH!

Quote:
Should we be more upset that members (or their estates) are selling the pins for a quick profit, or that people with no connection are buying them?
BOTH! Definitely both. It is sad that these pins aren't kept by the heirs of these women who pass on or sent back to IHQs. The ones I really, really hate are those "collectors" who outbid sorority members on their own pins.

It is like when Michael Jackson outbid Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, George Harrison and the estate of John Lennon for all the publishing rights to the Beatles' songs. IT IS JUST PLAIN WRONG!

Again, sorry, I feel so strongly about this! I hate thinking that some random person out there has the Alpha Phi pin I hold so dear.

Greek Love,
Jen