GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,159
Threads: 115,585
Welcome to our newest member, LynchMob66
» Online Users: 1,167
0 members and 1,167 guests
No Members online

Old 08-15-2022, 07:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Mississippi State

Anyone have any insight on recruitment? I have a close family friend rec girl that dropped. Are there any snap bids or COB opportunities there? She is OOS and lost down south with this process.
Old 08-15-2022, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator

I read that several sororities dropped all the out-of-region girls, probably trying to take only people they knew since some groups discourage recs. I knew it would bite NPC in the butt in their hell-bent quest to not have the sororities discover anything about the girls until they got to recruitment. ARE THEY KIDDING? AT A BIG SCHOOL?

There are several newer groups that are likely to have openings--tell her to sign up for COB immediately! Did she drop or was she dropped?
Old 08-15-2022, 08:47 PM
GreekChat Member

She had a full schedule the entire time. I encouraged her to keep an open mind but you know how hard that is for teenagers to not get caught up in the 'tiers". Before they would let her drop completely, she spoke with (3) Gamma Chis and the chair of recruitment advising her to stick it out. I know that Alpha Chi Omega is new on campus and will likely take a big class. I tried to convince her to give the pref options a chance but she was devastated to see her invites after feeling confident most of the week. Now, she is licking her wounds and second guessing her decision to drop. I am wondering if snap bids are common on this campus. Do the women register for COB after Bid Day? Is that through Panhel or directly with the chapters? Any advise as to the protocol at this campus may help guide her to her forever home. I don't want to create a false sense of possibility for her if this campus doesn't offer grace to those that have dropped. Thanks!
Old 08-15-2022, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator

I used to be the assistant Panhel advisor there. Generally, the only snap bids came from the chapters whose invitations were not the ones the girls who dropped out had wanted. She can sign up for COB now with Panhellenic but tbh, snap bids are often quickly and silently extended to girls who are known by the chapters already.

I don't know what you mean by extending grace to those who have dropped? No one will be opening more spaces for dropouts.
Old 08-16-2022, 08:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
I don't know what you mean by extending grace to those who have dropped? No one will be opening more spaces for dropouts.
At campuses that I am familiar with, like Indiana University, for example there are always at least half a dozen chapters that didn't reach total or missed quota by a few who are listed on the Panhel website as participating in COB. My question is, would this be expected there. Or, as you say, do the chapters just quietly extend a few snap bids to round out their classes after bid matching? I recognize that the chapters that may come up under quota are likely the ones that she rejected for preference. But, that's not always the case on all campuses. Just trying to get a feel about what the COB process is like on this campus.
Old 08-16-2022, 09:38 AM

MS State has half the number of chapters that IU has. It’s a whole different animal.
Old 08-16-2022, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator

The chapters who might be embarrassed about missing quota are the ones who quietly COB under the table. There are likely to be several girls known by chapter members who were dropped with much regret and they--or girls who might not even have rushed--are usually the first choices.

I have known schools that immediately list who's COBing but I doubt that State would be one.
Old 08-16-2022, 12:23 PM
GreekChat Member

The time for snap bids (if any chapters did not make quota) is over. Chances are the chapters she had left are the ones who had the highest chance of not making quota and needing to snap….

As for COB, best thing to is to have her let the GL office know she is interested & to please pass her contact info on to any eligible chapters. It would probably help to grovel a little so they know she regrets her decision to drop and actually IS interpreted in pursuing opportunities with ALL chapters.
Old 08-16-2022, 03:54 PM
GreekChat Member

My niece is at MSU. Two things she mentioned to my sister were a lot of PNM's asked her about SIP for Pref. The other speculation was a lot are dropping or considering SIP because the chapter that currently doesn't have a house. I know a message was sent out to PNM's about the chapter and they will have a house in Fall of 24 which she assumed was an attempt to try and keep PNM's from dropping or SIP'ing for that reason.
Old 08-16-2022, 04:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks all. I just heard from her and she accepted a snap bid. She needed that day to get over her disappointment and realized she was overreacting. She's very happy about how it worked out.
Old 08-16-2022, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

Yay! Can you tell us where she went, since we don't know her name?
Old 08-16-2022, 06:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Good her story had a happy ending. May she have an amazing sorority experience!

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story
Old 08-16-2022, 07:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekOne View Post
Thanks all. I just heard from her and she accepted a snap bid. She needed that day to get over her disappointment and realized she was overreacting. She's very happy about how it worked out.
That’s great news! She is EXTREMELY fortunate that she got a second chance so quickly. It does not turn out this way for most PNM’s who withdraw.
Old 08-16-2022, 08:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDG View Post
That’s great news! She is EXTREMELY fortunate that she got a second chance so quickly. It does not turn out this way for most PNM’s who withdraw.
I agree. She and I have been talking about the process all week and while I encouraged her to stay strong and persevere, she could not manage her disappointment without a day to take a breather. I do feel she was fortunate and I am confident she will find happiness where she has landed.
Old 08-16-2022, 09:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekOne View Post
I agree. She and I have been talking about the process all week and while I encouraged her to stay strong and persevere, she could not manage her disappointment without a day to take a breather. I do feel she was fortunate and I am confident she will find happiness where she has landed.
It’s hard to remember what it was like to be 18 sometimes when we’re talking to PNM’s. I had a “perfect” rush pre-RFM until the morning of Pref when only one chapter invited me back. I was devastated. My mom (who was not Greek) just couldn’t relate to my disappointment, especially considering all week I had been telling her DG was my favorite. I still remember like it was yesterday, going from 4 house to 1 and feeling sooo rejected by the other 3 even though I preferred the 1 invitation I still had. Nothing about being 18 and going through rush is rational, haha!!