GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,144
Threads: 115,588
Welcome to our newest member, Toeshoes
» Online Users: 1,487
0 members and 1,487 guests
No Members online

Old 04-27-2009, 03:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Getting More Involved

Hey. I recently was initiated into a fraternity at a medium sized liberal arts school as a freshman. I now kind of worry I don't have a ton in common with the chapter, and hang out a lot more with my independent friends and friends in other fraternities. Next year I am rooming with an independent. I find at fraternal functions I just don't really dig the whole thing too much. I love our parties, and I like the shacking opportunities Greek Life provides, but is it worth paying dues to be a member that just sort of chills apart from the fraternity? I mean, I don't really mind the dues because I don't pay them myself. I was a hell of a rush, and I get along with most everybody. Would it be chill to de-brother and rush again in the fall because I have contacts at other places who I know will make my pledgeship light? I worry that I'm just kind of too old for a lot of this stuff, I mean I already have business connections that will hook me up regardless of Greek affiliation. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganstalicious View Post
Hey. I recently was initiated into a fraternity at a medium sized liberal arts school as a freshman. I now kind of worry I don't have a ton in common with the chapter, and hang out a lot more with my independent friends and friends in other fraternities. Next year I am rooming with an independent. I find at fraternal functions I just don't really dig the whole thing too much. I love our parties, and I like the shacking opportunities Greek Life provides, but is it worth paying dues to be a member that just sort of chills apart from the fraternity? I mean, I don't really mind the dues because I don't pay them myself. I was a hell of a rush, and I get along with most everybody. Would it be chill to de-brother and rush again in the fall because I have contacts at other places who I know will make my pledgeship light? I worry that I'm just kind of too old for a lot of this stuff, I mean I already have business connections that will hook me up regardless of Greek affiliation. Thanks for the feedback.
As to you joining another fraternity, go read about it somewhere else here. There are probably ten similar threads in the most recent sections that would give you that answer.

You joined a fraternity for the social aspect of it, admittedly most freshman join for that reason and by the grace of God find the true reasons for joining a fraternity. A fraternity is a collection of intangibles, and things like brotherhood don't always jump right out at you. Brotherhood is a two way street, you only get out of it what you put into it. If you want to begin to like your fraternity get actively involved, become a committee chair. If you're personally invested in chapter operations you'll take more pride in what you do and be able to interact with and get to know more of your brothers. Every fraternity has the group that comes to parties and dosen't participate anywhere else - don't be that guy. Maybe you'll find you have a lot more in common with the chapter if you try to hang out with them more and put some effort in on your part.

By the way, you can party and "shack up" without being in a fraternity.