» GC Stats
Members: 326,187
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο

Old 02-15-2004, 10:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dakareng
hbo film

For those of you who have access to HBO, I thought I'd mention that our own Carrie Chapman Catt is one of the characters on tonight's movie "Iron Jawed Angels". She is being played by Angelica Huston. Mrs. Catt was a leader in the movement for Women's RIghts in the 1920s. We saw a very moving dramatic presentation at convention telling her story. While I'm sure HBO will overly dramatize the events, I thought I'd let you all know about it.
Old 02-16-2004, 04:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to erniegurl00 Send a message via Yahoo to erniegurl00
I'm glad I saw this thread when I did. I was able to catch most of the movie. I'm not sure how dramatized it was, but it was very good!

I found some pictures of Carrie Chapman Catt online, and these show her wearing her arrow. I love looking at old pictures of members. I think it is interesting to see how they used to wear their arrow. (ie. In this case pointing downward.)

Picture one
Picture two

I think we shall all be proud of what our members have accomplished, no matter how great or small.
Old 02-16-2004, 10:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
Send a message via AIM to Lady Pi Phi
I don't have HBO, but I'm wondering if they'll bring it to The Movie Network here in Canada?

Did they talk about her membership in Pi Phi in the movie?
Old 02-16-2004, 01:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Pi Phi
I don't have HBO, but I'm wondering if they'll bring it to The Movie Network here in Canada?

Did they talk about her membership in Pi Phi in the movie?
They never mentioned Pi Phi during the part that I saw.
Old 02-16-2004, 06:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to suzipiphi Send a message via Yahoo to suzipiphi
I saw the movie last night and I think my friend was about to kill me b/c everytime she was on or they said Carrie I kept saying "she's a pi phi!".

Also in both the pictures that erniegurl posted Carries badge is pointing down. That got me thinking, isn't the badge supposed to be always pointing upwards?? I'm confused!

They never did mention Pi Phi but it was amazing how much she has done for womens rights.
Old 02-16-2004, 11:19 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not sure why the arrow was pointing down, but this is an idea I had. (Karen, correct me if I'm wrong.) I know during the convention in the 30's Pi Phi decided to replace I.C. Scorosis with the letters on the badge. Maybe around this same time they decided the uniform way to wear the badge? If you have ever seen old pictures you'll see members wearing the arrow everywhere...in their hair, on their collar, on the right side of the blouse.

Personally, I would feel weird wearing a pin in my hair.
Old 02-17-2004, 05:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dakareng
I would guess that is indeed why her arrow is not pointing up. My friend, Fran the archivist, could tell us exactly but you are correct in saying that the pin was not always worn in a uniform manner. I think it was before the '30s though. IC Sorosis actually became Pi Beta Phi in 1887. I used to work with a chapter that had an original IC charter.... their archives were so much fun for a heritage nerd like myself.

If you ever have a chance to go to St Louis, you must check out the historical displays!