GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,187
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο

Old 07-11-2001, 01:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AngelPhiSig
Question Small chapters/Large chapters

Okay, I come from a 'small' chapter... Total at our school is 60 for sororities. I know that I know a ton about each of my sisters, and that we are all really close. What do women at schools with large chapters feel? Schools with chapters of 180 etc... do you still feel really close with all of your chapter? Are there little groups? What is it like?

<3 Ali

------------------
"...A dynamic sisterhood of powerful and passionate women maintaining uncompromising principles, igniting positive change, and embracing individuality!"

Phi Sigma Sigma - Gamma Gamma Chapter
---
1-9-4-6 Doohretsis!

Tau Beta Sigma - Delta Omicron Chapter
---
Go Golden Chickens! I mean EAGLES!

There are only a few good things that came out of Clarion- Chris Kirkpatrick of NSync, Kurt Angle (Pre WWF!) and any PHI SIGMA SIGMA!
Old 07-12-2001, 09:30 PM
UMgirl

I cant speak for all chapters when I say this, but from being on a campus where some sororities have a pledge/initiation class of 51 girls and the quote is like 120+, small groups do form. Also it gets to a point where you really dont know everybody. For instance a good friend of mine is in a house and shes a soph. She barely knows the juniors and doesnt know at all the seniors. My chapter hasnt hit the high numbers yet, but I am sure it will b/c it use to be one of the big ones in the past. I just hope that somehow the girls will know everyone. I think alot of it has to do with how involved you are with the house the years after you pledge. I think that an advantage to being a chapter at a small school. You pretty much will get to know everyone.

------------------
"Its Great To Be A Mich-igan AGD! "
Old 07-12-2001, 09:31 PM
UMgirl

I cant speak for all chapters when I say this, but from being on a campus where some sororities have a pledge/initiation class of 51 girls and the quote is like 120+, small groups do form. Also it gets to a point where you really dont know everybody. For instance a good friend of mine is in a house and shes a soph. She barely knows the juniors and doesnt know at all the seniors. My chapter hasnt hit the high numbers yet, but I am sure it will b/c it use to be one of the big ones in the past. I just hope that somehow the girls will know everyone. I think alot of it has to do with how involved you are with the house the years after you pledge. I think that an advantage to being a chapter at a small school. You pretty much will get to know everyone.

------------------
"Its Great To Be A Mich-igan AGD! "
Old 07-13-2001, 10:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
Angel--

I met women at our Convention last summer who were from HUGE chapters, while mine had like 40. It is a bit different, but sisterhood is dynamic and shows itself in different forms I guess. They basically had a lot of girls who were partiers and fun, and then they had a core group of leaders...but everyone liked each other and got along.

I know I couldn't imagine having 200 sisters.
Old 07-16-2001, 01:51 PM
GreekChat Member

My chapter is considered to be smaller at my school (house total here is 95 we are around 50) and it shows with that many. At one sorority during rush I asked the girl I was talking to if she knew so and so (A member of that sorority) and she said no why, was she rushing? And I told her she was a member and she said that she hadn't really met her then. At my chapter a sister's mother just died and we all knew within 24 hours. 20 of us showed up (driving from Chicago and Indianapolis to almost Tenn) to support her and about ten more sent flowers. We are so close that some of the bigger sororities have told multiple members that they are jealous of how close we are. We don't have any cliques, we don't talk bad about each other. I know my sisters, their families, their majors, where they are from and what they want out of life. I have hung out with all of them at many place on many different occasions. I have to say I hate the thought of having more than 80 women. I just don't see those groups being like we are together.

------------------
"...and love her for her womanhood."
Old 07-17-2001, 12:45 AM
GreekChat Member

House total for my chapter is 117, but we are usually over that, around 123. Of course with that many girls, there are some I know better than others. There are groups that are known for always hanging out together, but they are not exclusive. I know I can call any of my 123 sisters and ask what they're doing Friday night, and they will automatically invite me along. I know that if I ever need help, 123 girls will do whatever they can. I know all their first and last names, where they are from, what year they are, etc. And there's not a single one that I couldn't sit down and have a long conversation with. My guy friends in smaller fraternities are always like, "How can you really get to know 123 sisters?" I tell them I don't know, but somehow it works out. My chapter is also known on campus to have a really strong sisterhood, so I guess I just lucked out in that respect.

------------------
"Seek the noblest."
Zeta Love! <3