Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,633
1 members and 1,632 guests
No Members online

Old 01-02-2002, 12:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Angry That one guy/girl

ARGH. I love my job but there is this one guy who makes coming in every day miserable. He thinks that the rules do not apply to him, that vacation is only for him, and I get stuck doing his stuff.

Do I care about historical/heritage vehicles? No.
Am I here just to serve him? No, I have my own work.

"You're off Friday? No, you can't be, I am. What if I need you to make a phone call to respond to one of my voice mails?" I'm not kidding, that's a quote I got before Christmas.

I thought I'd have a better attitude this year but he's ruined that already. Anyonee like this in your environment?
Old 01-02-2002, 12:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh Karen--I can definately relate. There are definately people in my company too that take full advantage anywhere they can. But seeing as how I was just off for a full 2 weeks, its harder for me to get upset today. But I know how that goes and I am always here to listen!
Old 01-02-2002, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

This guy is so bad, he actually asked me where his desktop was on his computer. Now he is bothering others trying to get some CD images printed.
Old 01-03-2002, 01:10 PM
GreekChat Member

my boss! she is famous (at least with me and my co-worker friend) for asking us to write up a presentation or report or whatever and when you are done with it she requests an electronic copy of it...because she wants to put her name in the footer of each page to pass out at the important meetings....so basically she takes credit for all of our hard work. She never introduces us to anyone - like the important big wigs - even when someone new starts, she doesnt introduce us. she also does this alot..."hey sarah can you call jim for me and tell him that i need the stuff that i told him about yesterday"...wtf? i mean why do i have to call people i dont even know for her...stuff that doesnt even regard me? im not her assistant! blah!
Old 01-03-2002, 01:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dzsaigirl
And that my friends is the main reason that I have chosen a career in which I will only have limited contact with grown ups!
Old 01-03-2002, 04:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Another Account Executive I used to work with was really, really snotty with anyone she considered to be "beneath" her. We were going over some press releases one day and I handed my copy to her and told her it needed to be faxed to her client and she handed it to her secretary saying "I didn't go to college to send faxes". Ugh, that made me so mad. Especially since that secretary had a degree. She was just trying to gain public relations experience which is why she was there.

I took the press release from the secretary and said, "They didn't teach faxing at my college either, but I'll see what I can do." And sent it myself.
Old 01-03-2002, 05:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Too funny! I didn't know you worked in public relations KillarneyRose.

Today, I had to do briefing books which royally sucked. Of course, they aren't for his project but he wanted me to reorganize them to his liking. Let's just say it didn't happen...
Old 01-03-2002, 05:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KillarneyRose
I took the press release from the secretary and said, "They didn't teach faxing at my college either, but I'll see what I can do." And sent it myself.
Good for you!
Old 01-03-2002, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I work with the public, and even though I'm in children's and teen services I still have to answer a lot of ref questions from adults. Working with adults reminds me why I chose to work with children. Adults are so whiny, especially when it comes to the computers. They think rules are for other people. They hate children. I hate people who hate children.

And my boss...let's just say that we all secretly call her Big Chief Micromanagement. I'm seriously afraid that if I express an original thought between now and August, when my probationary period is up, she'll fire me.
Old 01-04-2002, 10:43 AM
GreekChat Member

So today I get to hear him complain about his pool table. Why am I so blessed? I truly hope he decides to take his retirement in June. Or at the very least next January. At least the others in the department feel the same way. HE complained because I scheduled him to work the auto show at 8 Monday morning. We start work at 8 every damn day, why is this any different?

I work with children too, only mentally, not chronologically.
Old 01-04-2002, 12:36 PM
GreekChat Member

If it's a co-worker who is giving you grief, keep in mind you don't have to go THROUGH an equal to get to the boss. An equal can be redirected rather easily. "Would you like me to ask the boss if I can assist you with your workload? Is it too much for you?" If all else fails put your mental abilities to work set a trap to sabotage him/her. (mean? maybe)

If it's a superior-you can still gain the boss's ear if you plan it out.
Just keep your ideas to yourself until the opprtunity presents itself- ie.casual meeting, "Julie has a good idea, but I was wondering what would happen if we took THIS appoach..."

If it's THE boss-sorry, but he/she signs the paycheck and if they want you to make make phone calls or help out in another department you can choose to stay or leave. It is a pyramid system with a certain value being place on each person in the company. Who's time is more valuable for a specific task. Surely one wouln't expect the boss to type his/her own leters when they can be meeting with another corporate head. Likewise, is the secretary going to spend her time sweeping the doorway when contracts need to be mailed out?
It all boils down to the future you want with this current company.
If it's a filler job, just suck it up and get a nice letter of rec. out of it. If this is THE company, get creative and a bit more aggressive so the "Boss" can see your potential within the realm of teamwork. Most succesful people surround themself with talent and they describe the dream employee as "HUNGRY". Hungry means they will work hard to get what they want and they want it all. The end result is usualy good for the boss.
Old 01-04-2002, 02:45 PM
GreekChat Member

He's still complaining about his damn pool table! Anyway, I got the books out and he's grumbled but as OUR boss said "THey were damn good and done before deadline. I'm impressed". He is one of those people who has to be buddy buddy with everyone (as he was with the guy who had this job before me) instead of letting people do their work. I know he has a lot of experience I could draw from if he'd ever just get to it.