Welcome to our newest member, lopezsae
» Online Users: 1,467
3 members and 1,464 guests
Cranberry, Sciencewoman, Xidelt

Old 08-28-2003, 06:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Phi Delta Theta (UTX-Arlington) violated hazing policy, lost lease

Phi Delta Theta violated hazing policy, lost lease
The fraternity lost their house after allegations of hazing in May, and Alpha Tao Omega members moved into the vacant house this month.

By Christian Ragunton and Brad Rollins
The Shorthorn staff

One fraternity has assumed the house lease of another after hazing allegations led to the two-year suspension of the Phi Delta Theta chapter.

An investigation into allegations made by a pledge determined that some of the fraternity’s members had violated Texas Education Code policies on hazing. Fourteen members were disciplined by Dean of Students Austin Lane with penalties ranging from disciplinary probation to suspension.

“We can’t be extremely specific with the details of this investigation,” Dr. Lane said. “The fraternity as a whole was punished.”

The event allegedly took place at the former Phi Delta Theta house in May. Lane declined to characterize the actions he found to be hazing.

Federal student privacy law prohibits release of the members’ names.

Shumon Farhad, former Phi Delta Theta president, declined to discuss the allegations but said he rejected the description of the incident as hazing. He said he was suspended for a semester but plans to return to the university in the spring.

“I don’t really think it’s fair, but it helps put things in perspective,” the public relations junior said. “For me, I was having fun — the whole fraternity life. It reminded me that school was most important. It showed me who my real friends are.”

He declined to answer questions about the investigation or its aftermath. Phone calls to other members of the fraternity were not returned.

Founded in 1968, Phi Delta Theta was the oldest fraternity on campus. Farhad said the group’s suspension is a loss for the university’s campus life. He said it had inducted the most new pledges in fraternity history, and it would be up to the younger members whether the chapter was re-established after its suspension.

“We were an important part of UTA tradition,” he said. “It’s really just unfortunate.”

Elizabeth Wade, who oversees Greek life as assistant Student Activities director, said the Alpha Tau Omega took over the lease and moved in Aug. 1. The house, one of the larger fraternity houses, is located at 707 S. Davis St. and is a bookend of Greek Row.

“When the house became available, we expressed interest in it, and, fortunately enough, we were granted,” said Zach Walker, public relations junior and Alpha Tau Omega member. “We regret that the Phi Deltas had to leave campus, but we are very grateful to be able to move into a house.”

Allegations of hazing were investigated by a committee that included Wade and Student Activities Director Mardie Sorensen.

“At that stage, the allegations are treated as potential violations of the university’s handbook. The person also has the option of calling the police and filing charges against the fraternity,” Lane said. “Fortunately, this case was never brought to that level.”

A spokesman for Oxford, Ohio-based Phi Delta Theta International Fraternity, said his group actively opposes hazing.

“Hazing is ultimately the opposite of the founding principles of what a fraternity stands for. The principles are based on friendship, learning and rectitude, and hazing is definitely a violation of rectitude,” said Jason Julian, the fraternity’s risk management director. “We take a very anti-hazing stance because it’s something we don’t want in our fraternity.”

Lane said the university has had two reported instances of hazing in five years, a figure he said was a small figure considering the number of organizations on campus.

He emphasized that hazing rules extend to all campus organizations — not just fraternities or sororities.

“Think about the consequences associated with hazing. Think about your academic careers. Think about your loved ones. Think about your families. Think about the dangers associated with hazing,” Lane said. “Hazing will not be tolerated on campus.”

The Phi Delta Theta fraternity was governed by the Interfraternity Council, whose president, Steve Reilly, could not be reached for comment.

As for members of the fraternity, Farhad said they had gone their separate ways, relationships strained by the stress of the investigation.

“I wouldn’t say anyone parted on the best of terms,” he said. “But I don’t regret my experiences. They were good times.”
_