GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,157
Threads: 115,582
Welcome to our newest member, craig171
» Online Users: 1,400
3 members and 1,397 guests
JayhawkAOII, Phrozen Sands, Xidelt

Old 06-23-2005, 02:05 PM
GreekChat Member

House mothers, dads, directors, and or advisors

Another thread about house directors being required for chapters as well as two recent articles in my The Kentucky Sig got me thinking about the positive experiences of housemoms.

So let's take some time to honor our housemothers, housedads, directors, and or advisors.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Lambda Lambda Chapter of Sigma Chi [University of Kentucky]

Here are the two articles from the June 2005 The Kentucky Sig.

Momma Lee is the current housemother

Quote:
Momma Lee honored by Sigma Chi

Housemother Lee Amic may get headaches from the stresses of managing a fraternity house from time to time, but her dedication to Sigma Chi has not gone unnoticed.

In April Momma Lee was awarded the 2004-05 Edna A. Boss Houseparent Award. The award is given annually by Sigma Chi International Headquarters to honor one outstanding Sigma Chi houseparent, resident advisor, or aide. She was nominated by members of the chapter and Lambda Lambda House Corporation.

Lambda Lambda’s housemother since the 1999-2000 school year, Momma Lee lived in the Woodland Avenue house during its final days and has lived in the Pennsylvania Avenue house since 2001. She has been a constant presence in the chapter and has been there during growing pains and success.

“I’m very honored to have been nominated by the boys and it means a great deal to me to have been chosen,” Lee said of the award. “I hope I can continue to do a deserving job.”

In addition to being named this year’s recipient, Lee will be recognized at Sigma Chi’s 150th Anniversary celebration in Cincinnati on June 22nd. She and the chapter will receive certificates and an award plaque that will be displayed in the chapter house. She will also be recognized on an award plaque displayed at General Headquarters in Evanston, Ill.
And this on Mom Schmidt. A wonderful lady and true friend if there ever was one.

Quote:
Lora Schmidt passes away at 94
Baby Cook offers some fond memories of Mom Schmidt

When Baby walked into the Sigma Chi house looking for a job, “Mom Schmidt’s smile blew me away,” she said.

Elinor “Baby” Cook was Sigma Chi’s house cook for all but one year of Lora Schmidt’s 27 years as Lambda Lambda’s house mother. Hired the year after Mom Schmidt in 1966, she remembers well Mom Schmidt’s dedication to the chapter and the fondness everyone had for her all those years.

“She was a friend of everyone, she never stopped giving.”

For many alumni, the memory of Mom Schmidt sticks out very prominently as they look back on their college years. Mom Schmidt made the inhouse experience so special that Sigma Chis who lived there missed it when they came back for alumni events. Mom Schmidt was involved in just about all aspects of the chapter that she could be, even considering parents. “Parents weekend was very special to Mom Schmidt and she did everything she could to make it special for Sigma Chis as well as their parents,” Baby said.

Baby remembered the dedication the active members showed to her, as well. “Wherever Sigma Chis would go, Mom Schmidt was taken along, even to formals.” She also went to intramural events quite often. In any area she could get involved or assist, she was there, and many years of pledge classes grew to appreciate her.

According to Baby, the UK deans in those days loved Mom Schmidt as well. And if times called for it, Mom Schmidt was ready to defend the chapter in any way she could. “Mom Schmidt would ‘go to bat’ for Sigma Chi in the Dean of Greek Affairs’ once every time she needed to. She probably even saved Sigma Chi from getting kicked off of campus once or twice.” For all her involvement and dedication, though, brothers knew when it wasn’t good to bother Mom Schmidt—during a game of Bridge. “Mom Schmidt played Bridge with the other house moms—they loved Lora--and Sigma Chis knew not to interrupt her in the middle of a Bridge game,” said Baby.

Mom Schmidt retired in 1992 at the age of 80 after 27 full years serving as Lambda Lambda’s house mother. After working so closely with Mom Schmidt, Baby says it was the “togetherness” of the chapter that made all those years worth it. “She was a loving mother, a loving granny, and a loving, loving house mother who put the children above herself. Mom Schmidt did not pick favorites, she loved everyone.”
Old 06-23-2005, 03:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I wish we would have had a house mom when I was in school. Fraternities at Illinois State at that time did not have them.

All the sororitys had house moms. Delta Zeta had a great house mom. She took a shine to myself and several other Alpha Sigs. I guess she was the closest thing to a house mom we had!

ALPHASIGMAPHI
Est. Yale 1845
Old 06-23-2005, 03:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm a Pi Phi at UCF and our house mom (we call her Aunt Mary) was named House Parent of the Year for the 2004-2005 school year.
Old 06-24-2005, 11:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PiPhiGirl2005
Our house mom, Mrs. T, is fantastic. She keeps an eye on all the goings on in the house and serves as a liason between us and the administration. More than that, though, she's like a mom to all of us.

All the fraternities and sororities at Hillsdale have house mothers, though I'm not sure the rest of them appreciate their house moms as much as we do Mrs. T. I know that the Sigma Chis really like their house mom - she always walks around at parties with bowls of chips or pretzels and her camera! They gave her a lavaliere last year so she could wear their letters, which I thought was very sweet of them.
Old 06-24-2005, 05:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

While a Pledge at another Fraterity, There was Mom Buck. All 5' 4" of Her. Damn, She was tuff!

She taught how to be Gentleman, Eat with out being Slobs, How to Eat Butter Paddys for New Pledges so they would not get to drunk!

If you were going to a Formal function, how to Tie Your Tie, Look Nice and Be a Gentleman.

I have respected Her for Many Years even though it did not become My Fraternity.

A Book, By Ruth Dorval Jones "How Did The Catsup Stain Get on The Ceilling", LXA at UNCS.

God What A Read of Back then in the Time Of John Tesch, a Member there.

Met The House Mom at the U. Ks. Chapter one time a fox. Asked Her out, Oh, She was Younger than Me.

If she said Yes, it would have been tough explaining to the Brothers There Why I was sleeping in the Living Room!

Oh, Long Trip on Roadway!

House Moms Can Be a Great Thing, We did not have one when I started The Local and said couldnt afford it! Well, I look back now and say, damn Did We screw up!

Oh, Broke the House Mom Rule!

Need them more no than every from the sounds of the problems!

LX Z # 1
Alumni