GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,151
Threads: 115,578
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,389
4 members and 1,385 guests
Cookiez17, shadokat

Old 09-15-2006, 09:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sairose Send a message via Yahoo to sairose
Graduation stoles! Help!

Me and one of my sisters are graduating in December, and we've noticed a few greeks get graduation stoles...they're really nice...but where can you get them? I asked a Chi O here where to get them because I always see Chi O's at graduation wearing them but she said it was a gift so she didn't know.

We want red satin sashes with white letters on one side and maybe embrordary on the other side. We would rather buy plain sashes somewhere and take them to our local greek store to have the lady who runs it make them for us. We found one store that sold plain sashes (primeheritage.com) but you have to order at least 12.

Can anyone help? We just want plain red sashes!
Old 09-15-2006, 10:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Could you buy the red satin and have them made? It would probably be faster and cheaper that way. The "greek store lady" may be able to make them, or a seamstress in the area.

/Ordered mine from sororityspecialties.com but they don't do custom ones...
Old 09-15-2006, 10:37 AM
GreekChat Member

i think i've seen some SAI's where graduation stoles. i'll check with some of the girls i know. congrats on your upcoming graduation!
Old 09-15-2006, 10:50 AM
GreekChat Member

StichZone might be a possibility.

As an alternative, you can get custom cords, rather than stoles, from Collegiate Regalia. (I'll admit, I like the cords better. But that may just be me.) The minimum order for custom cords is 3 dozen, but since they are a lot cheaper than stoles, it might be something the whole chapter wants to go for. Or, since there are no Greek letters involved, you might be able to order "in stock" cords for another group with red and white as their colors, like ACR, QC or ASA. There wouldn't be a minimum order if you did that. Just a thought, FWIW.

ETA: In one of the "Similar Threads" identified by GC, I found this link to the Sash Company.

Last edited by MysticCat; 09-15-2006 at 01:11 PM.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:00 PM
GreekChat Member

If you end up having to buy extra cords or stoles, you could probably find girls in your chapter who may want to buy the extra from you...and of course, there is always E-bay! As long as there isn't a graduation date on the sashes themselves, your sisters may want to get some for their graduations even if it isn't at the same time as your own. Also, and this is just a thought, if you could talk your chapter execs into buying them, they could be given as gifts to sisters in the future who are in need of a present or pick-me-up
Old 09-15-2006, 12:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I am begining to feel old. When I graduated we were strictly required to wear a plain bachellor's gown and carry the specific hood of our degree on our arm as we were called forward. We bent forward, the hood was placed over our heads to fall down our backs and our certificate was handed to us with a handshake from the dean of our particular faculty. The tassel on the mortar board was the color of the degree and absolutely nothing else was allowed. We were told that if we showed up with "extras" we had lose them on the spot or be pulled out of the ceremony and our certificates would be mailed to us. We knew that the university was serious because two people who tried to push the issue the year before were pulled out and not allowed to go forward. The requirements were carefully spelled out beforehand and they made it stick. The rationale was that academic dress reflected academic achievement appropriate to our degree. Other decoration was not allowed. As they said, "you dont wear an athletic team letter on your graduation gown and the same reasoning applies to anything else."
Not a whole lot of give and take that day!
Old 09-15-2006, 01:00 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^^^ I think that's why I like the cords better. My experience was similar to yours, although some was allowed. Compared to the stoles, the cords are much more discreet and don't detract as much from the overall uniformity.

To bad for you, dekeguy -- Collegiate Regalia has nice looking Deke cords.

And I'm feeling older all the time.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:01 PM
GreekChat Member

We didn't get hoods for bachelors. I know they exist, but SLU didn't use them. So I think it's fair that we got to wear stoles etc.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
We didn't get hoods for bachelors. I know they exist, but SLU didn't use them. So I think it's fair that we got to wear stoles etc.
I thought hooding was always Masters?? And then at Doctorate you get those funny beanie looking things...
Old 09-15-2006, 01:06 PM
GreekChat Member

There are hoods for all three levels. Look on wikipedia for academic attire or something like that.

/I have a cold, i'm not doing extra work.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
I thought hooding was always Masters?? And then at Doctorate you get those funny beanie looking things...
There are hoods for baccalaureate, masters and doctorate degrees -- they differ in terms of size and design, just as the robes for the three degrees differ in how the sleeves are cut, chevrons on the sleeves and the like.

I think probably very few colleges or universities use hoods for beccalaureate degrees any more.

Wikipedia has a full description here.
Old 09-16-2006, 07:31 AM
GreekChat Member

When I graduated, back in '87, the only baccaulaureates with hoods were those graduating Magna Cum Laude or higher. Cum Laude received a gold tassle, Magna Cum Laude received a gold hood (and a tassle). Summa Cum Laude wore both of those plus a gold medal.