GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,155
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,244
2 members and 1,242 guests
No Members online

Old 07-20-2003, 01:41 AM
Banned

Volunteering

Don't know if this exists in Chit Chat or not so I'm starting one. Do any of you volunteer your time anywhere?

I think you should all spend time volunteering if you sit in front of your computers so much

Hospital: I spent several years volunteering in an oncology ward with patients that had mild to severe cases of cancer. I spent another year working with patients with long-term physical pain and wrote a research article based on my experience there for the Westinghouse project while in high school.

Religious Institution: I volunteered in school to run a giving campaign. Basically I recruited people, and spent a couple days calling students to raise money for little kids. I also woke up really early one morning to go to a Church on the south side and help baby sit kids even though I wasn't Christian. That was a one time thing.

Habitat for Humanity: I did this for a while in college. It was fun, but I wasn't the biggest fan of the religious undertones. At the same time there were a lot of slackers there who didn't have any idea how to use a single tool.

Big Brothers/Big Sisters: This is probably the one program that really changed me. I had a lot of fun doing this and learned a lot about myself. I don't recommend it to most people because it's a big committment but do it if you're looking for something longterm.

I've also volunteered on occasion at homeless shelters. I want to really find something at an animal shelter at some point.

So yeah what have you done? Maybe people can give each other ideas since some of you cool college kids are bored with your summers

-Rudey
Old 07-20-2003, 01:52 AM
GreekChat Member

This college kid is not bored with her summer...for volunteering this summer I help out at a local animal shelter: help clean the cages, walk the dogs, make sure the animals get enough socialization, etc. It's great for me because I love animals, but my heart goes out to those poor animals with no homes...I wish I could adopt them!!!
Old 07-20-2003, 03:01 AM
GreekChat Member

One summer during high school I volunteered at the Red Cross. I did little things like organizing canned foods on the shelves and putting bags of groceries together. Then I would give the groceries to people who came in for them. I also helped out at the blood drives getting people food and drinks. It was a very rewarding experience.
Old 07-20-2003, 07:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Rudey, I am HONESTLY impressed! You ARE full of surprises!!!
Old 07-20-2003, 11:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Let's see....

I've participated in.. :

P.A.V.E = Parent's and Volunteers for Education, basically tutoring underpriviledged kids. 2 years

The Drug and Abstinence Education Program= Name says it all...6 years

Band Camps galore! i just finished with one camp and now I'll be helping my alma mater here in a couple of weeks. Takes a lot of time but well worth it. 3 years

I've done more but I can't readly think of anything right now..
Old 07-20-2003, 03:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I referee for AYSO soccer, which counts as volunteer work/community service since I don't get paid.
Old 07-20-2003, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
I used to coach the local township youth team. Fun fun fun.
Old 07-20-2003, 04:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by justamom
Rudey, I am HONESTLY impressed! You ARE full of surprises!!!
You know, I'm not that bad of a guy.

-Rudey
Old 07-20-2003, 04:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Shine
I just got back from a week volunteering at a summer camp for kids with cancer. I've been doing this for 6 years.

Two years ago I went on Alternative Spring Break and worked with the poor in Mexicali.

I've done other little soup-kitcheny and homeless shelter type things, too.
Old 07-20-2003, 04:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Shine
I just got back from a week volunteering at a summer camp for kids with cancer. I've been doing this for 6 years.

Two years ago I went on Alternative Spring Break and worked with the poor in Mexicali.

I've done other little soup-kitcheny and homeless shelter type things, too.
How'd you like the alternative spring break? A lot of kids from my fraternity were in new orleans this year on one and went to el salvador a couple years back. I hear it's fun but you you get jealous of the other kids that are out partying.

-Rudey
Old 07-20-2003, 04:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Shine
I enjoyed the Alternative Spring Break, but I also went with my best friends and we made fun during our off time going into town and stuff.
Old 07-20-2003, 05:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I used to volunteer to teach swimming lessons to kids through a program at our community center. Did it for a few years, and all the kids were great.

I've also completed domestic violence prevention training, and done some counseling and worked on a hotline through that.

I also give tours on campus and work student orientations (through a campus organization), but we get paid during the summer, so not sure how much that really is "volunteering".

I think some of the most rewarding experiences/jobs are the ones where you're not in it for the $$. Its a great way to get to know different people and expand your experiences.
Old 07-20-2003, 05:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I've done a few things in the past - volunteered at the Boston Food Bank a bunch of times (fraternity and non-fraternity related), helped out an elementary school class, and helped out with some canned food drives in my town.

When my work situation is more settled in Boston I'm going to get involved in more volunteering around here. It really is a great way to spend the day.
Old 07-20-2003, 07:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to docetboy Send a message via Yahoo to docetboy
I've volunteered in every aspect for the Red Cross in Omaha for the past 3-4 years (disaster, pantry, blood drive, office work, hospital, etc.)

I was the 2000 Omaha Red Cross Teen Volunteer of the year

I was nominated for the 2000 Greater Omaha United Way outstanding volunteer award

I donate whole blood and platelets often.

I volunteer for local political campaigns

Old 07-20-2003, 08:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm definitely an advocate for volunteerism. My father taught us about giving back even when we were kids. I'm especially fond of causes which promote the well-being of children.

It's a long story about how I got involved on this project, but I run an event called Miss Volunteer America

http://www.missvolunteeramerica.com/

Of course, my event management company does other events as well, but this is one of the more unique ones.

.....Kelly