GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

» GC Stats
Members: 326,155
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,435
4 members and 1,431 guests
John, shadokat, willTic

Old 04-09-2010, 12:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Kiely Williams' "Date rape anthem"

http://clutchmagonline.com/newsgossi...s-spectacular/

Kiely Williams (former "Cheetah Girls" star and member of the girl group 3LW) recorded this song and video, clearly glorifying blacked-out sex. After being criticized, she released this youtube video...

http://theybf.com/index.php/2010/04/...ck-activities/

...basically saying that not all songs need to have positive messages.

Then she contradicted herself in a written statement (link above) claiming "I wrote 'Spectacular' and made the video to bring attention to a serious women's health and safety issue. Don't shoot the messenger."

I'm sad to see a young woman, particularly one with a fan-base of little girls and tweens, so desperate to be seen as grown and sexy that she's willing to sing "Last I remember I was face down/Ass up, clothes off, broke off, dozed off/ Even though I'm not sure of his name/ He could get it again if he wanted"
and "What he did to me last night felt so good/ I must have been on drugs/ I hope he used a rubber/ Or I'mma be in trouble." SMH
Old 04-09-2010, 09:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow....What a stupid song

Quote:
Originally Posted by laylo View Post
http://clutchmagonline.com/newsgossi...s-spectacular/

Kiely Williams (former "Cheetah Girls" star and member of the girl group 3LW) recorded this song and video, clearly glorifying blacked-out sex. After being criticized, she released this youtube video...

http://theybf.com/index.php/2010/04/...ck-activities/

...basically saying that not all songs need to have positive messages.

Then she contradicted herself in a written statement (link above) claiming "I wrote 'Spectacular' and made the video to bring attention to a serious women's health and safety issue. Don't shoot the messenger."

I'm sad to see a young woman, particularly one with a fan-base of little girls and tweens, so desperate to be seen as grown and sexy that she's willing to sing "Last I remember I was face down/Ass up, clothes off, broke off, dozed off/ Even though I'm not sure of his name/ He could get it again if he wanted"
and "What he did to me last night felt so good/ I must have been on drugs/ I hope he used a rubber/ Or I'mma be in trouble." SMH
I just watched the video from the link you posted. Wow, what a stupid song. The video looks like it was made by a bunch of high schoolers. I wasn't sure what I was watching because you titled it "date rape anthem" but, the entire time I thought she was portraying a prostitute. One minute she is saying the sex was spectacular, while in the same breath she says that she was blacked out and didn't really remember it. What a stupid-stupid song. Is this what music is coming to?

I have to admit that I think Raven had some talent, as well as the other Cheetah Girls. It sucks because Kiely Williams is already beautiful and talented so she didn't have to resort to this. I want my last 3 minutes and 57 seconds back after watching that. Ouch!
Old 04-09-2010, 10:03 PM
GreekChat Member

The video and the song were both stupid, but I don't know why this turned into a "controversy" -- another slow news day.

There are several songs/videos that are risque, but if (general) you don't want to hear/see them, change the station.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
This girl screamed shady to me. She had a baby (I know she mentioned it at least once!) b/t 3LW and Cheetah Girls. She got the job of Cheetah Girl and NEVER talked about her son since then. I know she wanted to pretend to be a child in their movies and all, but it's like he doesn't exist. That's just strange to me.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
The video and the song were both stupid, but I don't know why this turned into a "controversy" -- another slow news day.

There are several songs/videos that are risque, but if (general) you don't want to hear/see them, change the station.
It's bad because so many little girls look up to her as a role model. Of course she can do what she wants, and yes there are tons of other songs like this out there, but I'm pretty sure that 95% of her fan base is compromised of young girls and she should have considered this. If she wants to break out of her Cheetah Girls mold, that's fine, but this was a totally inappropriate way for her to do it, IMO.

True to Gold and Double Blue, our Alpha Xi
Old 04-09-2010, 11:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post

The controversy is about the fact that this song wasn't just risque or about casual sex, it was about being blacked out. Many people would call intercourse with a blacked out woman "rape," and such women often don't understand or won't report that they've been violated because they aren't seen as legit victims. A song and video portraying the act as "spectacular" makes it more difficult for women in that situation. (btw I didn't come up with the name "date rape anthem"-- it's what the gossip boards are calling it.)

The other issue is that her fan base is entirely middle school age and younger. Children could be exposed to anything, but they will almost certainly be exposed to this song as they are the ones who visit her website, google her, etc.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:32 AM
GreekChat Member

I just wasn't expecting so much ass.
Old 04-10-2010, 02:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
I just wasn't expecting so much ass.
I was moderately more prepared because I read the thread first, but still

And yeah, no. Her response/justification did not jive AT.ALL. with the video. The song glorifies being an unrepentant, drunken hooch; it's not trying to shine a light on the issue for the purposes of prevention. She just needs to own her drunken hooch tendencies and take the consequences of the message she put out there.

Last edited by Little32; 04-10-2010 at 02:57 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 03:55 PM
GreekChat Member

She belongs on karma's "Stupid Bitch" list.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:15 PM
GreekChat Member

lol--that statement is a lie.

I don't care for 3LW or Cheetah Girls. Naturi Naughton is making the most of her post 3LW days though.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laylo View Post
["I wrote 'Spectacular' and made the video to bring attention to a serious women's health and safety issue. Don't shoot the messenger."
I would say that this song and video glamourizes and glorifies non-consensual sex (rape), which is horrible.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:59 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
What's a Cheeta Girl?
Old 04-26-2010, 03:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe.ron View Post
What's a Cheeta Girl?
3LW was a crappy girl band that was popular when I was in the sixth grade, then they disbanded, and two of them went on to be Cheetah Girls which were characters in a Disney movie series based off of the Cheetah Girls book series.

All this time I refused to watch this video because I didn't want to give it hits, but I just now watched it and OMG. She deserves to be slapped.

And was the guy supposed to be cute? And most importantly, did I really need to see his pale butt??

True to Gold and Double Blue, our Alpha Xi
Old 04-26-2010, 03:46 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
Kinda like the pussycat dolls?
Old 04-26-2010, 09:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe.ron View Post
Kinda like the pussycat dolls?
Not really. The pussycat dolls is a burlesque group or started out that way. The cheeta girls were a pure girl group. They were invented for a disney movie, but ended up being popular and even touring a bit. And I didn't know about the books.