Threads: 115,591
Welcome to our newest member, Mr. Doom
» Online Users: 1,191
0 members and 1,191 guests
No Members online

Old 09-06-2004, 10:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Maryland Chi Omega

I am just curious to know why there aren't any Chi Omega Chapters in Maryland. I guess it is just because Chi Omega hasn't had the chance to colonize there?!? We are huge overall so you would think that since there are a considerable number of schools in Maryland, that our sisterhood would have taken at least a few schools over by now!!! Any ideas?
Old 09-07-2004, 10:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Well, I don't have an exact answer for you. I do know that there are MANY factors that go into a colonization - alumnae in the area, interest of the campus, the NPC oon the campus and how it is run, greek support from the campus and community, etc. I personally see our National as being very careful with their expansion so that each chapter we open has a 110% chance of succeeding. What's most important is having the greatest number of successful chapters, not just the greatest numbers.

Just my opinion though...

I live in the NYC area. I would love to see a Chi O chapter near me - and there are tons of schools with greek systems - Rutgers, UConn, Columbia, etc. For some reason we haven't expanded here. But I'm sure there is good reason. If they ever do, though, I'll be first in line to volunteer!!!
Old 09-07-2004, 12:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I definitely see what you mean! I think a large part of Chi Omegas decision would be based on the number of alumnae willing in the area! You would think that since DC and Baltimore are right there, that there would be plenty of sisters! Who knows!
Old 09-07-2004, 01:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
Screech.........CRASH! (oops)

I am surprised that they are not in Maryland. University of Maryland College Park has a large Greek system. I don't know if there is a chapter at University of Delaware. If not, the closest chapter to Maryland is at my old school, George Mason U in Fairfax, VA
Old 09-07-2004, 02:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jill1228
Screech.........CRASH! (oops)

I am surprised that they are not in Maryland. University of Maryland College Park has a large Greek system. I don't know if there is a chapter at University of Delaware. If not, the closest chapter to Maryland is at my old school, George Mason U in Fairfax, VA
There's also a chapter at American down in DC.
Old 09-10-2004, 11:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Actually, Chi Omega was at the University of Maryland for a millisecond in the late 90s or early 2000s. They didn't have a colony there but they did take over the Gamma Phi Beta house which lost their charter due to low numbers. Fraternity row, which houses Gamma Phi Beta was going through renovations and I believe Chi Omega decided to not colonize, try to get members, until after the rennovations were complete. Which is a great idea because without a house on UMD, you're doomed. And obviously something happened during that process for them to back out and they disappered. If you weren't on campus at that time you wouldn't have known they were even "there" but I guess in truth they really weren't. But the house did have Chi Omega on it.

I think Chi Omega would be great at UMD but the school is very competitive and some of the houses are struggling so there is always that argument of do you want to bring another group on campus when some houses are struggling.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I am an alum of the University of Maryland at College Park. From both a university book and Chi Omega publications, your fraternity chartered their Delta Beta chapter in the 1920s. Chi Omega's website has the founding date as 1923. I want to guess that it closed in either 1926 or 1929.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:48 PM
GreekChat Member

It looks like the OP hasn't posted in over 2 years, but I for one would love to see a little more expansion in this area. Jill and Lil Hannah are right about GMU and AU probably being the closest to UMD.

Does anyone know if the Greek chapters at UMD are still struggling like aabby said? It'd be interesting to find out if there are any plans to expand more on the East Coast...especially since it seems like our alumnae base out here could only be growing.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to hazelle
Around the 80's our chapter at College Park, Maryland folded and then so did the Kappa chapter..both of these were major early houses on campus. Would give my right arm to start us back up--as would some of my Kappa alum friends....the Greeks at U Md have always been really strong and members were quite active on campus. Wish books like PLEDGED really could add to prospective members' interests instead of confusing and irritating many Greeks as I have heard. And of course, the MTV series only added to the negativism.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZetaGirl22
sorry to crash your board.....

But in answer to your question about UMD/expansion. Total at UMD is 95, but they have it set up a little funky in that quota x 3 (which would normally equal total after accounting for graduating seniors at any other school) does not really ever come close to total. So every chapter does informal recruitment. And there are still a good number of chapters not at total and still several chapters that are well under total. So for those reasons, its unlikely UMD will open for expansion any time soon. And to be successful at Maryland, and chapter really would need a house, which would be a very difficult feat indeed, as there is NO space open to build. The only sorority which still owns property at UMD that does not have an active chapter is Alpha Xi Delta, which was formerly occupied by Pi Kappa Alpha until they got their house on the row, and now it serves as housing for female transfer students (its pretty much impossible to get campus housing as a transfer). I hope your questions were answered.
Loved by a Zeta Psi
Old 03-01-2007, 04:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Maryland alum- new to the board- just did a search for my campus and found this thread. Wanted to add to what Aabby757 posted. Chi Omega explored colonizing either my sophmore or junior year spring 95 to fall 96. They never had their letters on a house (perhaps briefly a banner on the shell of a house during renovation?- hazy.) Gamma Phi got their house on the row back for a year or 2 before closing in 2000 (they didn't close when their house was closed for renovation, but since they hadn't bought into the university renovation plan and I guess ChiO was willing to pay GPhiB would have lost their house to ChiO.) I remember that there was some concern about Chi Omega taking a chapter house away from a chapter that was already established on campus. I was a Rho Chi end of my junior and into my senior year and Chi Omega was not participating in rush in anyway. I believe they had a meeting or 2 on campus, but your HQ decided not to move forward with the effort. I remember reading about it in the Diamondback and I was very involved w/ rush w/i my chapter.

Last edited by CZAXOTerp; 06-06-2007 at 05:31 PM.