Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, ibtisamkhan
» Online Users: 1,032
1 members and 1,031 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 08-15-2001, 09:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Red face Please Help ME!!!!!!

Hi sisters I'm new here i'm a DG at Adelphi University Omicron Chapter. I love my chapter and never once doubt my decision to pledge DG but I hate to admit it's lacking some spirit! Adelphi only has 4 sororities on campus and we're not allowed to have houses. We are a small frat of 39 compared to som of the other chapters but the biggest on our campus. The girls in my chapter are somewhat clicky, not always doing things together i wa hoping u could give me some suggestions about rushing new members and activities to bring us together. Thanks ITB luv me
Old 08-22-2001, 02:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

I am a DG from Morehead State University. Hopefully I can give a little advice since the chapter I am in went through a pretty rough time last semester. It seemed as though everyone hated going to meetings and everyone disliked everyone else. It was unbearable for a while and it seemed that no matter what, we all just couldn't get along. One of the things that we did that seemed to help was a fire-side. I'm not sure if you know what that is...just in case you don't...it is where you all get together and just gripe about all the things that are going badly and then try to work out a way to fix them. Basically anything goes. It really can get pretty heated at times though so make sure you set up some guidelines before you do this...like pass something around a circle and make it a rule that you can only talk when you are holding the object. Otherwise things could turn into a one on one cat fight. Lord knows you don't want that. If you get things out in the open....like what has been bothering the girls and what has given them negative attitudes you can work on that. Getting things out in the open also keeps things from building up and becoming a lot worse than what they are now. Sometimes though, you kind of just have to let the girls work things out on their own. Maybe they all just need a break from each other. I know that at the end of last semester everyone was wanting to turn their letters in and complaining about how awful it was being a DG at Morehead because no one could get a long. We went home for the summer, came back and things are totally different. It has been wonderful!! Our sisterhood has never been stronger. We are all getting along, we look forward to meetings...and thank GOD it came when it did cause we are having rush right now. Things have just been great!!! I have never been more proud to be a DELTA GAMMA from MOREHEAD STATE. I also suggest that if you guys are having rush right now...that you try to fix things before you have rush parties...because potential new members can sense the tension between you girls and that is going to turn them off and you don't want that. You want them to leave your house KNOWING they want to be a DG...not wondering if they could handle all the tension that goes along with it. I wish you the best of luck and e-mail me and let me know how things turn out!!

ITB, Rachel

Last edited by CutiePie2000; 06-04-2002 at 12:05 PM.
Old 08-25-2001, 12:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

When in times of sisterhood trouble, we have a candle passing. We pass a candle around the circle and everyone has to say something they admire about the person to their right (the same direction the candle goes)

We will sometimes pass out anchored paper to everone. We write our own name on the crossbar... then the paper gets passed around the circle and everyone write something the like or admire or whatever on the paper. Once the paper goes all the way way around the circle you have something you can always look at to remind you of your sisterhood.

ITB~Denise
Old 08-28-2001, 09:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb Singing can be unifying...or maybe hiking?

I hope you don't think this sounds hokey, but maybe try some DG songs. Perhaps to open or end meetings. If you have any members who are Music/Fine Arts majors, they could help with leading the songs (you can probably buy the Song Book through the Anchora).

Another thing that might be worthwhile might be a chapter retreat, where you all go hiking or something..something to get everyone away from the stresses of school and out into nature where people can feel more "themselves" and feel more connected to each other, rather than pulled in different directions, due to school, family, obligations, etc.
Old 06-01-2002, 03:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb An idea

Okay...I had a problem with girls becoming a little too clicky so at our retreat I gave everyone different color or rope before lunch (try like 5 different colors) and I made them then sit in a circle. I then after I had made them sit in a circle and I had them tie their wrists together. So while tied together they had to figure out how to get lunch and eat it. Imagine the look on some girls faces when they realized what was happening and what they had to do. It was not only an ice breaker but a true example of ITB! Good luck!
Old 07-16-2002, 07:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Just a little forewarning about the fireside chats... I was a new member when they did that, and they separated us... make sure you do that, because for one thing, it brings the pledge class together and any problems that they are having they can work it out, and for another thing, you don't want to unload all your problems on the new girls... it may start them off with a bad taste in their mouth. I loved it, and it helped us SOOOOO much to be able to talk out some things... Sometimes all you need is a little unloading of stress!