Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,509
0 members and 1,509 guests
No Members online

Old 07-17-2002, 02:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Why did you choose DG?

I was just wondering everyones reasons for choosing to be a DG?

mine is really stupid, but lucky I made the correct choice because I love being a Delta Gamma! Even going into my 4th year I still love it, maybe more then ever!!! Here is my reason:

The girl I was talking to on day 1, asked if I had a job and when I told her I had never worked she didn't make me feel stupid and spoiled like a lot of the girls in the other houses made me feel. Also we talked about how neither of us wanted to go to a small farm town school because we didn't like the smell of cows, which is probably the stupidest thing I have ever had a conversation about during rush but it was just so quirky that I loved that I felt like I really connected with the girls, and she had jimmy choo shoes on, I am a big shoe freak!! And when i cried during our pref ceremony I knew it was the house for me.
Old 07-17-2002, 12:50 PM
GreekChat Member

The summer after I graduated high school, I was dating a guy who just happened to be a TKE at Akron. When I had mentioned to him that I was seriously considering going through recruitment, he told me that I my personality would fit best in with DG or Alpha Gam. So I kept that running through my head the whole week of recruitment.
I didn't sign up to go through until the Thursday before it started because my parents weren't exactly thrilled that I wanted to do it. So I started off the week and during the first two days of recruitment, I met a lot of wonderful women and decided when I had to drop my first house that Alpha Gam just wasn't for me (nothin against them cause I love them now....but I just had a bad experience with the girls that I did know in that chapter in 99). I ended up preffing DG and ADPi and I was blown away with DG. I was paired with Kristi, one of the women that I had gotten to know that week, and it was wonderful....you could see the sisterhood and the bonds. So after pref I debated with myself for about 15 minutes on whether I wanted to suicide DG or put ADPi as my second choice and take a chance on going there. Of course I decided just to go DG cause that was the only one that I knew I would be happy with. I love my chapter and I'm so proud to say that I am a DG!!
ITB,
Andrea
Old 07-17-2002, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm happy to say that I chose DG for purely the right reasons. Before rush started, I was COMPLETELY clueless of the process and the houses reputations at my school (U of Texas). I'm originally from the Northwest, and didn't know a soul at my school before I got there. All I had to go by was the Rush booklet they sent me beforehand! At first I was basing my opinion soully on stupid things - like the fact that I thought Pi Phi's letters looked cool, etc. But I was also a double legacy from my sisters to another chapter, and was almost certain that if I liked the chapter at UT, I'd continue the tradition.

However, as soon as Rush started, I realized I just didn't feel right at the chapter I was a legacy to on campus, and knew that I couldn't see myself there. When I first visited DG, the girl I was paired with was so full of energy and so cool that I immediately felt comfortable. The more I visited the chapter, the more I knew I fit right in. My sisters (blood) luckily were happy with my decision to pref DG b/c they had many DG friends and were glad I'd found a place I was happy with regardless. So, I preffed DG and hoped and prayed I'd get a bid - which luckily I did! Looking back on it all, I knew I picked the right place because I had zero pre-conceived notions prior or during Rush, and chose the place that my heart told me to choose!
Old 07-17-2002, 10:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I was rushing as a sophomore, and I really wanted this sorority that historically didn't take sophomores, so I talked to EVERYONE that I knew to try to have them talk me up. Well, I was talking to this Sigma Nu, and saying, "Yeah, I really love (blah blah-blah) sorority and the girls are really smart and cool, but I know they don't take sophomores." He said to me that yeah, they didn't unless a girl's legacy, but then he suggested Delta Gamma to me. He said that he thought I'd really like the girls, and that they were getting a really good reputation on campus, and that the sorority was quickly improving. Well, I practically laughed in his face. My only impression from DG's was when they started screaming and squealing at Homecoming because they started playing an N' Sync song. I mean, PLEASE! Why would I be part of a sorority who's colors were PINK and BLUE (girly colors) and who squealed because an N 'Sync song started playing. I had only met one DG, she had lived on my hall, and I liked her, pretty much, but my impression of her was that she was sort of "little girl" as well (PS, Jen, I love ya now!). Well, the first day I walked into the room of the sorority that I had my heart set on, and this tall, amazon-looking girl with no personality greeted me. All of the sudden, I felt relieved. I didn't want THIS sorority, so I said straight out, "You don't take sophomores, do you?" She kind of fumbled for a response, replied something about not worrying about that, and I got cut first round. What's funny is that a friend of mine who had LOVED DG and had her heart set on DG got cut first round, but invited back to the sorority that I had my heart set on. Anyway, the point of the story... A couple of rounds later, I went into the DG room, and knew I was home. It was kind of a depressing feeling at first, because I was SO sure I wasn't going to be DG, but third round solidified that this was the place that I was supposed to be... SKIT DAY!!! There were two girls, Jackie and Ann-Margaret, who did the main roles, and I was laughing so hard I was CRYING!!! Then, the next night, pref night, I left with tears streaming down my face. I knew that's where I was supposed to be... and I begged Jennifer (the girl that I didn't like that much, who preffed me) to let me keep the cream rose. She said that if I went DG I'd get it back... I think I still have the rose, somewhere. :-)
Old 07-21-2002, 11:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Pref

Got another question, stolen from oh-so-many boards...

Who did everyone pref?
I preffed Kappa and (of course) DG
Old 07-23-2002, 11:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I pledged in the spring semester and there wasn't a formal rush. I was invited over to the DG house because one of the girls I had worked with was a DG. So after going over there a few times and hanging out and meeting the girls, I got a big and accepted. I didn't even look at the other houses. There's just something about Delta Gamma that I liked, and of course still like. I just knew when I was pledging that I would get something out of it. I'm moving into the house next semester and I'm really excited!
Old 07-24-2002, 10:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaGammaStar Send a message via Yahoo to DeltaGammaStar
Actually...I only preffed Delta Gamma.

But let me tell you why.

I go to a very small school (1100 students) and we only have three sororities. After the third night of rush (skit night), I was dropped by Tri_Delt because the skirt I was wearing (we did rush in January and I had a nice long plaid skirt with a black shirt, actually one of my favorite outfits) was not their type. I also knew that I didn't want to be with them and was really glad of the drop. The same night I was also dropped from Phi Mu but I never heard of a reason from them. Up until skit night, I was torn between Phi Mu and DG. I loved all of the DG's, but it seemed like Phi Mu had such an awesome program and I liked a lot of the girls for the most part. During the conversations around the skits, I realized that I didn't want to be with these girls because they ONLY wanted to talk about Phi Mu and not get to know me at all and it really bothered me for some reason.

So needless to say, I was thrilled the next day when I realized I was only going to have to go Delta Gamma's pref and I knew that it was the one for me. I also felt so honored because I was preffed by the President of the chapter who later because one of my two big sisters!

That's my pref story.

Colleen Erin
Eta Eta
Old 09-06-2002, 11:52 AM
GreekChat Member

I fell in love with DG during skit round as well. I really wasn't sure about them after open house/ first round but I didn't get invited back to many for the next round so I decided to give each of them another chance. I found the DG girls to be really laid back and chill which I liked but they still weren't my favorite. It wasn't until skit round when they were doing their skit that made me laugh so hard. I knew then I wanted to be a DG and it was the only invite I got for pref round which suited me awesome. I pledged a fwe weeks ago and am loving every minute of it. The girls have been so nice to me and our new member educator doesn't mind me asking all these questions about all the events we have to do. I am so glad I gave DG another chance during RUSH because they are awesome and I love them so much!

P.S. Im at Clemson University - any of my sisters out there from Clemson chapter of DG??