GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,145
Threads: 115,589
Welcome to our newest member, lopezsae
» Online Users: 1,485
0 members and 1,485 guests
No Members online

Old 02-24-2003, 10:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Book Discussion

Hi All!

My chapter is having a book discussion in a couple of months. The title of the book is "It's the Little Things: Everyday Interactions that Annoy, Anger & Divide the Races" by Lena Williams. My question to you is, if my chapter invited you or an organization you are a member of to our book discussion, would you attend? Why or why not?

Last edited by 12dn94dst; 02-25-2003 at 12:04 AM.
Old 02-24-2003, 10:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Kelli, I for one would like to if I could!

I am sure it could be very enlightening for all who attend, listen, adn learn from it!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 02-24-2003, 11:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I would absolutely attend. It would be wonderful to have a thoughtful conversation about a book with a group of intelligent and well spoken women. How could I possibly miss such an opportunity? Plus, who knows, I may end up making a friend or two.

I've been needing to find a book to read -- I think I just might check out this one.
Old 02-25-2003, 12:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sistermadly
Yes, yes, YES! I hadn't heard about this book until now, and now I'm regretting using my Amazon gift certificate on a CD.

Why would I attend? Because I think I'm in a special place to understand both sides of the equation. I can understand why people get defensive on all sides of racial arguments. I can understand why feelings get hurt on all sides. I can understand the reasons why/how social and historical baggage work to keep a system of racial divisiveness in place. I'm dedicated to fighting against such a system in any way possible, and I'm especially interested in finding solutions to it that come from a woman's point of view.

Edited to add: I'd also be interested in a discussion that moves beyond the black/white dichotomy and broadens the discussion to include other ethnicities as well.
Old 03-29-2003, 04:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

I'm bringing this back up because 1) the book is an interesting read and has opened my eyes to some things even though I'm only halfway through it and 2) I'd like to do a little publicity for the event and appeal to the ATL GCers to attend.

The Cafe is scheduled for May 10th. We're working on firming up a location. In addition to the book discussion, there will be spoken word and art displays.