Threads: 115,583
Welcome to our newest member, LynchMob66
» Online Users: 1,361
1 members and 1,360 guests
No Members online

Old 06-19-2011, 02:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Who has taken the MCAT?

I'm taking the MCAT in just a couple of months. I am currently enrolled in a Kaplan class, and I am honestly really disappointed with it. What I am looking for now is more "strategic" prep and less content review. I feel generally comfortable with the science content and have a strong background in all of the subject areas, but I want more help figuring out how to tackle MCAT style questions and passages. I have access to a lot of practice material through Kaplan, but does anyone have any recommendations for books, etc that address MCAT strategy? Thanks!!
Old 06-19-2011, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

In my opinion the Kaplan books (along with the class) were sufficient for the exam. I'll agree they were pretty material heavy but I felt there was enough review/ practice that I was comfortable with the material.

The best bet is to go over the back exams they give you multiple times. When I took the real thing there were definitely questions that were familiar if not down right identical. And it seemed to work for me (I got a final score in the 30's ) though ultimately I decided med school was not for me.

Hope this helps. Don't often have a chance to post on these forums but when I saw this I had to add my opinion.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Those review courses are a complete rip-off. Every single person I've known who took one says they wish they had saved their money and just bought the book.

So, buy the Kaplan review book, learn it, and do PRACTICE QUESTIONS. Practice questions are the most important thing you can do to prepare.

Good luck!

*Retreating back into my Step 1 study cave.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I second (or I guess third) the above. I also took the Kaplan coure when I prepped for the MCAT. The best thing that helped me were the Kaplan practice questions. I think I ended up going through all the materials they provided from the course, plus at least one extra book of questions. My premed advisor had stored old Kaplan practice questions, and I went through a bunch of those too. I think that's the best way to prep. Good luck!

KappaMD--Good luck on Step 1! The study hell will end soon, only to be replaced with a different kind of torture... 3rd year.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the input everyone!

And good luck on Step 1 KappaMD! I feel like I only just finished with the SAT/AP madness, and now I'm in the middle of MCAT already...USMLE will be all too soon
Old 06-19-2011, 10:26 PM
GreekChat Member

I concur. I only got the Kaplan book (and I got the version from the earlier year, because it was cheaper). It allowed me to focus on the areas I actually needed to work on.

Do the practice questions as much as possible. Also, BEWARE THE FREE TEST ONLINE. AMCAS provides a sample MCAT which is good for test style, but the questions on it are much, much easier.

There was a girl on my test date who was taking the MCAT for her second time. Her first time she had gotten a 30 on the practice MCAT, so she figured she was golden for the exam and stopped studying. She got a 19.

------
KappaMD, when did you start studying for Step 1? I've been going through First Aid for the USMLE during my commute this summer, but I'm wondering when I should really start the studying.

LET'S GO BIG RED!
Let me teach you how to Bucky!
Old 06-19-2011, 11:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOEforme View Post
There was a girl on my test date who was taking the MCAT for her second time. Her first time she had gotten a 30 on the practice MCAT, so she figured she was golden for the exam and stopped studying. She got a 19.
Is a 30 that good that you'd stop studying? That sounds dumb even if the practice test had been legit.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:28 AM
GreekChat Member

I took Kaplan. *Warning- I graduated medical school 10 years ago this month!!* What I found extremely useful with the course were the proctored tests. The MCAT is the longest test you will have taken by this time in your life. It is exhausting. Kaplan gives you a pretty good feel for what it's like to take the test. The scores I got on the Kaplan exam mirrored my real exam scores pretty precisely, as well. Get ready...as far as exams go, the MCAT is the shortest standardized exam you'll take in medicine from now on!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 07-17-2011, 02:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm losing my mind a little...

I have been hearing so many conflicting things about the difficulty of Kaplan Full lengths and AAMCs not matching up with the difficulty of the actual current MCAT. So many of those practice materials are out of date, from before the MCAT became computer based, and I just don't know what to believe. I'm also hearing that the Kaplan section tests are way harder, which I guess is good because I'm bombing those left and right. But then I feel like I have no way to gauge my progress. I know nobody can know exactly what to expect on test day, but gahhh I wish there were a more reliable predictor!

/endrant.

Any other words of advice would be GREATLY appreciated. 26 days until I take it. AHH I'm scared.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:06 PM
GreekChat Member

From my experience, there was no practice test that truly modeled the difficulty of the MCAT. Same with Step 1. Really, you shouldn't use those practice tests to gauge your progress, but as learning tools. However, I would say if you're going through them and still feel completely lost, then you should redouble your efforts. You still have almost a whole month, so don't panic yet! Sorry I'm not more help.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I am taking the Princeton Review Course right now, it's pretty good I think! It has really helped me with the Verbal section especially. I have also heard that Exam Kracker books are the best but haven't really gotten a chance to read those yet because I am still a few months away as well. I opted out of Kaplan because I was told that the material is over simplified.... If your interested I know you can pay for just the Princeton Review Tests and they are supposed to be very similar to the real test.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the input I guess the thought of such an important test being a huge unknown isn't sitting well with me, even though theoretically the efforts I'm putting in should pay off.

CardinalXO, I like the EK books better than Kaplan, and for the price ($100 for the set) they're worth taking a look at. I'm still not a fan of Kaplan, or the idea of a prep company in general, because that's just not my learning style. But they give you access to a ton of resources with the course, which is helpful (I hope?).
Old 07-18-2011, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HannahXO View Post
Thanks for the input I guess the thought of such an important test being a huge unknown isn't sitting well with me, even though theoretically the efforts I'm putting in should pay off.

CardinalXO, I like the EK books better than Kaplan, and for the price ($100 for the set) they're worth taking a look at. I'm still not a fan of Kaplan, or the idea of a prep company in general, because that's just not my learning style. But they give you access to a ton of resources with the course, which is helpful (I hope?).
I'm really disappointed to hear they haven't updated their material since the test was revamped. One thing I think that you should take into account when discussing the MCAT with anyone else is this: Are you a good standardized test taker? Is the other person you are speaking to a good test taker? No matter how specialized the test gets and how far into the field you get, this can NEVER be discounted. I am an AMAZING test taker as is my husband. We can figure out what the question writer wants us to say is the right answer. That is an essential skill in taking these tests. I can honestly say I didn't really study for the MCAT. I took the practice tests and relied on the information I learned in class. For the reading section, being able to read the questions quickly then skim the section for the answers used to be the best way to do the section. Now that it's computerized, I have no idea how best to do this. Gut feeling has gotten me through so many tests. Second guessing myself has always led to ruin so I don't do it. Good luck finishing your studying. Remember, you can take the test more than once.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Last edited by AOII Angel; 07-18-2011 at 03:23 PM.