GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,165
Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, LatexXUK
» Online Users: 1,138
1 members and 1,137 guests
Cookiez17

Old 02-12-2001, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Angry Very Important Virus Warning!!!

"Here you have," ;o)

IS A VIRUS!!!! DO NOT OPEN IT!!! I work for a computer engineering company, and it has infiltrated our network totally skipping the virus scanner -- none of our virus detectors picked it up! It came to our company through the sherriff's dept. who got it from the school system, and lord knows who else!

It worms through your address book sending multiple messages to all the recipients listed.

Carnation and BUCutie be WARNED since you guys are in my address book!

I'm going to start sending all my emails with "secure" written in the subject line so my recipients will know its okay.

Just look out folks - I'm sure its all over the place!
Old 02-12-2001, 04:05 PM
GreekChat Member

AXO Alum,

Thanks for the info. My Dad who works for a computer company told me about another that has a title in the subject line like "Snowwhite and the seven dwarfs" whatever you do, dont open it.

Kevin
Old 02-12-2001, 04:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks AXO Alum, i will keep a look out for that. Dont forget the "secure" on the subject, otherwise i will trash it. We wouldnt want ANOTHER thing keeping us from reading each others emails

------------------
"He is not perfect, you are not perfect. The question is whether or not you are perfect for each other"
Old 02-12-2001, 05:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to gphi2k
That is SOOOOOOOOO scary.
I'm up in Toronto, Canada. We just got infected too. We're a computer company who supports a bunch of networks, so ALL of the networks got the mail too, so it's EVERYWHERE.
It's more a nuisance than anything else, but i can't believe how wide spread it is.

------------------
Gamma Phi Beta
University of Toronto
Alpha Alpha
Old 02-12-2001, 05:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

Quick Question!
If something is a virus, I was under the impression that it is OKAY to open the email, just not to download anything. Am I right or wrong! Let me know, and thanks for the imformation! My mom will download ANYTHING and EVERYTHING that is sent to her, so I'll let her know NOT to!

------------------
What do you get when you cross an Alpha Omicron Pi and a Sigma Phi Epsilon? A beautiful Chi Omega!
~Love ya mom & dad
Old 02-13-2001, 09:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by gphi2k:
It's more a nuisance than anything else, but i can't believe how wide spread it is.
Yeah, thank goodness, a nuisance is all it turned out to be. Just a pain in the behind for all of us versus something much more serious. But I can't help thinking -- here is some genius who can devise a virus that can spread so fast and not be detected, yet he/she can't use this info to help others -- how lame is that?!

Old 02-13-2001, 10:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Quote:
Originally posted by Hootie:
Quick Question!
If something is a virus, I was under the impression that it is OKAY to open the email, just not to download anything. Am I right or wrong! Let me know, and thanks for the imformation! My mom will download ANYTHING and EVERYTHING that is sent to her, so I'll let her know NOT to!
Yeah, you have to actually download and open the file to get the virus - but the advise is usually to delete the email entirely w/out opening, b/c the file could possibly be self-extracting, and also accidents can happen (when i worked at a computer company one summer in high school, a guy opened an email he knew had a virus attached "just to look", and then accidently opened the file instead of deleting the email b/c he clicked in the wrong spot . . . this is a guy w/ a degree in MIS, making 6 figs a year . . . eh)