GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Events Is your organization hosting an Event or do you know about an upcoming Event and would like to get the word out? Post all Event related information here.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,164
Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, ibtisamkhan
» Online Users: 1,362
0 members and 1,362 guests
No Members online

Old 04-13-2004, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

ADVICE for starting a GLO

Hi! I am starting a GLO with my best friends. Does anyone have any advice about how we write our ritual and choose our colors and symbols? Also how do we choose our letters? Where do we get pledge pins? Thanks for any assistance!
Old 04-13-2004, 02:36 PM

Think about WHY you are forming a completely new organization and WHAT you want the organization to accomplish.

Your colors, symbols, lettters etc should all stem from this.
Old 04-21-2004, 02:29 AM
GreekChat Member

My advice is to do lots of research because you might find what you are looking for already exist it just might not be on your campus and if this is not the case then all of sorority info should be centered around your principles and have a underlying meaning to its members.
Old 04-24-2004, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

There are many smaller groups (and larger) that are always looking for a new colony. Write down what core things you want in a group and then do a little research.

If you want the group to last longer than your 4 years (unless you're willing to put in a TON of work), joining an existing organization may actually be much easier.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 04-24-2004, 06:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I think it will be easier to sustain your chapter if you join an existing organization, but I think in many cases it will be just as hard as starting your own sorority from scratch. Either way, a person needs to be committed to hard work to reach this goal.

To the original poster: why are you interested in starting a new organization, given that there are thousands of sororities out there? I'm not saying that this applies to you, but there are lots of people out there (I have met some) who say "I just want to be known as the founder of XYZ." If you are interested in starting something that is going to last decades and maybe even over a century like some of the organizations represented on GC, you really need to think about how your organization will be new and different so it can have longevity. There will be a day, for example, when many of the LGLOs will no longer exist because there are just too many of us. It's a reality that newer organizations have to face.
Old 09-26-2004, 02:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to omegamcgee
Why a new one?

We started a new sorority on our campus for a lot of reasons, none of which were that we just wanted to be known as "founders." Our campus is tiny, and there are only two sororities here. We wanted a third option, and we didn't feel like we really fit with the other two. Also, none of us could afford the exhorbant rates the other sororities charge. We don't have a problem with them, we're all friends, but we watned to be different.
Old 09-26-2004, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

What school are you at? How many people are there? and How many people are involved with Greek Life at your school?
Old 09-26-2004, 07:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Why a new one?

Quote:
Originally posted by omegamcgee
We started a new sorority on our campus for a lot of reasons, none of which were that we just wanted to be known as "founders." Our campus is tiny, and there are only two sororities here. We wanted a third option, and we didn't feel like we really fit with the other two. Also, none of us could afford the exhorbant rates the other sororities charge. We don't have a problem with them, we're all friends, but we watned to be different.
Batesville......Batesville.....what school is there? I can't remember...... (I used to live in Little Rock until 2 weeks ago).....is it Lyon College?

By the way...welcome to GC!! Always cool to see more Arkansas folks!

PsychTau
Old 09-26-2004, 08:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
I was a little shocked by your siggy:

"Any sorority founded on 4/20 has to be good...OMEGA SIGMA ALPHA BABY!!!"

I might suppress the drug references right when I started out!! I wanted to give you a little advice and a little encouragement.

First, I wanted to found a multicultural sorority at the University of Georgia, so I got a group of women together. After much research, we determined that the things we wanted out of a sorority could be found in other sororities and that we wouldn't try to put together a brand new group at such a competitive Greek school. We started a colony of a national mc sorority but that REALLY didn't work out because of how the sorority was. The fire fizzled a bit because it was such an emotional thing. I can't IMAGINE how much worse it would have been if we had been trying to found a new organization and it worked out so poorly. I would have been more than devastated.

My advice is to really look into established orgs and think honestly about why you want to found a brand new org. I find it hard to believe that NO sorority out there holds dear the values and mission you do.

My encouragement is to let you know that whatever you choose, if you put your heart into it, you will be a better person for it!!

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 09-26-2004, 08:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to omegamcgee
Yeah, we just realized it (one of our friends pointed it out) and I thought it was funny...we ARE NOT druggies!!! We don't have an incredibly competitive Greek system here, at least not among the sororities. Thanks for all your advice!
Old 11-08-2004, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to HollisterDXiChi Send a message via Yahoo to HollisterDXiChi
How are things with the sorority? How many members do you have, what are your colors, mascot? I wanna know
Old 03-25-2007, 06:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to CUPrez
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaia View Post
My advice is to do lots of research because you might find what you are looking for already exist it just might not be on your campus and if this is not the case then all of sorority info should be centered around your principles and have a underlying meaning to its members.
Gaia! I so agree!

"The Sorority That Puts
GOD First"
A proud member of the United Council of Christian Fraternities and Sororities, Inc.
Old 12-25-2007, 08:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to MsDGP007 Send a message via Yahoo to MsDGP007
Quote:
Originally Posted by omegamcgee View Post
I just wanted to point out that not all sororities charge "exhorbitant" rates; but even so, it does take money to do a lot of the things that sororities are known for. Even the basics, such as renting out a place for a social or conference, insurance, administrative costs like postage and copying, creating a website...all that takes $$$. Even with these basics, a sorority would need a yearly budget of $5K - $10K per year (a local with insurance and no house...just to clarify before someone 'jumps' all over me! ). There can be benefits in joining an organization that already has some of these things plus the experience to guide you through the operations end of a sorority.