GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,156
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, Aliciasmith
» Online Users: 856
1 members and 855 guests
Low D Flat

Old 03-23-2008, 10:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool Need your Feedback!

Hi! I am a college Junior in a School in New Jersey. I am looking to Start a new chapter of a Divine 9 (NPHC) Organization. Our School only has 3 recognized orgs, in which I don't like their views, nor how they carry themselves. In the surrounding areas one chapter is either suspended or something near that. and another school wont allow use to do membership intake there (I guess because of liability). I have a group of 6 Interested men willing to do what is necessary. Who should I contact? What do I tell them? (Its not easy starting a chapter of a Divine 9 org, I have been told) We are willing to do anything that is needed. Please help me in any way possible. Thank and Happy Easter
Old 03-24-2008, 12:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Didn't you already ask this question?

Old 03-24-2008, 12:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
To start a chapter of an NPHC organization you must first decide which NPHC organization you'd like to pursue. That decision has to be made on your own -- we can't tell you which one is best for you.

After you decide which one to pursue, then contact that organization and inquire about their expansion/extension procedures. You may discover that your school once had a chapter, or that there is a nearby chapter which includes your school on the charter.

My advice to you is that from the moment you make contact with the organization, be professional, like a job interview. Starting a new chapter is a big risk and a lot of work for NPHC organizations, so don't be surprised if they are not interested in expanding at this time.

(It will help if you already know active alumni members in the area of the school.)

Good luck, Brother.
*smh*
Old 03-24-2008, 01:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGreekMan View Post
Hi! I am a college Junior in a School in New Jersey. I am looking to Start a new chapter of a Divine 9 (NPHC) Organization. Our School only has 3 recognized orgs, in which I don't like their views, nor how they carry themselves. In the surrounding areas one chapter is either suspended or something near that. and another school wont allow use to do membership intake there (I guess because of liability). I have a group of 6 Interested men willing to do what is necessary. Who should I contact? What do I tell them? (Its not easy starting a chapter of a Divine 9 org, I have been told) We are willing to do anything that is needed. Please help me in any way possible. Thank and Happy Easter
Remember that these organizations are also made up of those that are in alumnae chapters and many became members at the alumnae level so what one chapter does is not necessarily a representation of an entire organization which has thousands of members. Perhaps by becoming a member of one of the organizations on your campus, you could change that chapter's direction and be a positive influence in getting them to act in a way that honors their organization. Remember that it's not just about what an organization can do for you but what you can do and bring to the organization.

If you insist on bringing a new org to your school, you must first do the research and find out which one is best for you. You can't just contact a chapter of the NPHC and inquire about which org can come to your school. We don't work like that. You need to know which org you want to be a part of and then contact that organization or the nearest alumnae chapter to your school since every undergrad chapter is under the advisement of an alumnae chapter. This is all we can tell you. I suggest that you research all 5 of the NPHC fraternities starting with their international websites and read the book "Divine Nine" for an overview of their history. All the NPHC organizations are equally great. What sets us a part mostly is our histories and philanthropies. Good Luck with your research.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGreekMan View Post
Why would you be allowed to do membership intake at another school? This is only the case for schools that share the same charter and that is not the norm. Again, you need to contact the organization at the national level or the nearest alumnae chapter to see what's possible regarding your school but do this only after you have chosen the org that's best for you.
Contacting different undergrad chapters to see if they share the same charter (which again is not the norm) will get you no where as you have already seen.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Alumni.