GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,158
Threads: 115,583
Welcome to our newest member, Christos-Cyp
» Online Users: 1,438
1 members and 1,437 guests
MTSUGURL

Old 06-18-2000, 04:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy **NOT SO ACTIVE CHAPTER**

Hello to the women of Alpha Kappa Alpha, Sorority Incorporated. I am not a member of your sorority, but I am very interested in becoming a devoted lifetime member in the future. I am currently a Junior at a university where I know there is a chapter of AKA. I am trying my hardest to find out about activites they may be having and or functions so that I can be present. I have discovered that 9 of the members graduated this past May, so there are only 6 members remaining. How would any of the members suggest that I go about seeking these members out if they do not hold very many functions. I appreciate any comments and/or opinions on this subject matter.
Old 06-19-2000, 09:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Well, having only six of my sorors on your campus could pose a slight problem if the university you attend is very large. However, I'm sure they know that there is the possiblity that other young ladies are interested in our sorority. I know that my undergrad chapter held a retreat during the summer to get ready for the following school year and set up goals we wanted to accomplish.

Maybe the remaining members on your campus will be thinking of ways to handle events and activities for the next semester. So, be patient and wait to see what they do. If after a while the inactivity continues, contact your Greek Life department if your campus has one and ask for the names of members. If they will provide them, you may contact them and inquire about any activities/events they may hold in the future. Good luck.
Old 06-19-2000, 01:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Thank you AKAtude and One Of a Kind for your advice and words of encouragement, they are well appreciated.
Old 06-20-2000, 12:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Hi! I am not a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority but I just had to share this with Sophisticated1. I just transferred to a school and I was told that there was no chapter of AKA on campus. I was very disappointed but I refused to give up. Early on a saturday morning, I awoke determined to find a city wide chapter and any other information on this organization. Imagine my horror when I discovered that my home computer would not allow me access to the internet. I decided to go to school and use the computers there. In the pouring rain I ventured out with my raggedy umbrella. When I arrived at school (soaking sneakers and all), I headed straight for the computer lab where I spent literally hours searching for a chapter that would cover my school. When I finally accepted the fact that no such chapter existed (at least I couldn't find it), I gave up and headed for home. When I got to the front door, I realized I left the umbrella. I went back to retreive it and as I came back down what to my wondering eyes should appear? A member of AKA, it was all I could bear! I politely introduced myself to her and she assured me that there was indeed a chapter on campus. She said it a lucky thing that I ran into her on that day because she rarely wears the bag that she had with her (the bag had the AKA insignia on it which was how I spotted her). If you are determined and keep looking you'll probably find the other members at your school. (A little prayer wouldn't hurt either)
Good luck!