GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,186
Threads: 115,576
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,254
1 members and 1,253 guests
JayhawkAOII

Old 01-10-2008, 02:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to cali_gossip
informal recruitment again

Hi everybody! I have been coming to this site to read tips and such on recruitment and do's and dont's. As long as I can remember, I have wanted to participate in Greek Life to get to know people. I have Spring Recruitment coming up and I go to school at CSUN. I didn't have a good GPA but rushed anyway last spring, and didn't get a bid(I had WAY too many classes). Well, I worked hard this past semester and raised my GPA to a 2.4. I checked a website that said GPA required is a 2.0 but it might be 2.5. Should I take a chance and rush again? Is it worth it? I really really want to do it. Please give me some advice!
Old 01-10-2008, 03:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Keep focusing on your schoolwork for now.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:43 AM
Unregistered-

What SoCalGirl said.

Even though the minimum GPA is what it is, keep in mind that there will be girls rushing with better GPAs. Some sororities might consider you a grade risk. If you really really really want to do it, then do it...but prepared just in case you don't get a bid because of your grades.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:40 PM
GreekChat Member

The higher your GPA, the better your chances. I'd advise you to wait and get your GPA up to a 2.5 or better. If you choose to rush with a 2.4, be aware that some sororities may cut you because of your grades.

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I personally don't think there's much of a difference between a 2.4 and a 2.5 GPA in your situation. Just because a 2.5 will meet the minimum of every chapter doesn't mean you're safe from being cut as a grade risk. You can try spring, but you will have fewer options, if any. Continue to improve your grades and you may be more successful in the fall.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to beebadger
Cali_gossip, If you rushed last spring and are thinking of it again,you must be a sophomore, right? I don't know how important grades are at your school, but if you are really interested in a sorority, I think you should seriously consider doing it again now. If you wait until next year, you'll be a junior and that might be a bigger strike against you than grades. (At least if the requirement is truly 2.0. If it's 2.5, you might not be allowed to rush).
Old 01-13-2008, 05:44 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by beebadger View Post
Cali_gossip, If you rushed last spring and are thinking of it again,you must be a sophomore, right? I don't know how important grades are at your school, but if you are really interested in a sorority, I think you should seriously consider doing it again now. If you wait until next year, you'll be a junior and that might be a bigger strike against you than grades. (At least if the requirement is truly 2.0. If it's 2.5, you might not be allowed to rush).
I like to think that grades are of the utmost importance, and would assume that all 26 NPC sororities feel the same way.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to beebadger
I'm sorry if I gave the wrong impression. I agree that grades are very important and I'm sure all of the sororities feel that way but the OP said she checked a website which said the required grade point was 2.0. I'm sure houses look for higher, but if she has a 2.4 she meets requirements and rushing as an upper class-man next year might not be easy either. (I guess I'm showing my age. I rushed almost 30 years ago and while I like to think we all had decent grades, I don't remember GPAs EVER coming up during rush. I'm also from a less competitive midwestern school). Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Sorry if I gave you bad advice, Cali!!
Old 01-14-2008, 01:53 AM
GreekChat Member

I hate to hijack this thread, but since our questions are so similar I figure I might as well just add here instead of making a whole new thread. I'm going through informal at a large, fairly competitive southern school with a 3.06, is it likely that I will be cut for my grades? Only a 2.5 or so is required, and a 3.01 is average on the campus, but sorority averages tend to be a bit higher( about a 3.1). Any advice?
Old 01-14-2008, 02:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie_queen View Post
I hate to hijack this thread, but since our questions are so similar I figure I might as well just add here instead of making a whole new thread. I'm going through informal at a large, fairly competitive southern school with a 3.06, is it likely that I will be cut for my grades? Only a 2.5 or so is required, and a 3.01 is average on the campus, but sorority averages tend to be a bit higher( about a 3.1). Any advice?
When you say "averages", do you mean GPA requirements?

Visit your school's Greek Life website or call the Greek Life Office and find out exactly what each chapter's minimum GPA requirement is. If your GPA is below that chapter's minimum requirement, and recruitment is competitive (if there are lots of girls vying for few spots), you can expect to be cut.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 01-14-2008 at 02:19 AM.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:20 AM
GreekChat Member

The greek life office says a 2.5 is required, but a 2.75 is reccomended. No minimum requiremembt per chapter is listed other than the 2.75, but I do know the average tends to be higher.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie_queen View Post
The greek life office says a 2.5 is required, but a 2.75 is reccomended. No minimum requiremembt per chapter is listed other than the 2.75, but I do know the average tends to be higher.
If the average tends to be a 3.1 and you have a 3.0, it's a tough call. No one here can tell you with any certainty whether you'll get a bid. Depending on the chapter, that .1 might be the difference between getting a bid and not (especially if there are many girls coming out for a few spots). It could also not matter at all, at other chapters. It depends on the sorority.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 01-14-2008 at 02:28 AM.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:12 PM
GreekChat Member

i have a question about this my self...
cause at my school, a girl just fills out a form to rush, and then she goes through grade check. the chapter never sees her grades, all they see is class standing (number of credits completed) and if they are eligible to receive a bid (all women are allowed to rush).

from this website, i have seen that this is not the case at some more competitive schools... do you guys actually see a girls gpa or transcript or whatever... i would think all those things would be private to a student organization

Forever and Ever my love goes to Royal Purple and Pure Gold
Old 01-14-2008, 02:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepher4Life View Post

from this website, i have seen that this is not the case at some more competitive schools... do you guys actually see a girls gpa or transcript or whatever... i would think all those things would be private to a student organization
Our school did things differently for formal & informal.

During formal, we use the recruitment software ICS, and they list their own GPA in the form, so we do get to see it. Panhellenic does a double check with the Registrar to be sure that the GPA and class standing they listed are correct.

For informal, we would ask the girls to fill out a grade release, sumbit their names to the Greek Life Office, and they would tell us if the girl met our minimum GPA. We only got a "yes" or "no", we didn't get to see the GPA.

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:26 PM
GreekChat Member

For recruitment at our school, PNMs sign a waiver allowing the Greek Life office to check their GPA's. Each chapter sets their minimum and we receive a list of women who's GPA's meet or exceed that GPA and how many credits a PNM has at recruitment time.

Once members are initiated they sign a grade release which allows both the chapter and the Greek life office to check GPA's and credits each semester.

We never find out where those credits came from (ex: transfer, AP, etc.) but we receive information related to GPA and class standing (like if a sister signs up for 15 credits but by the end of the semester has dropped/withdrawn from 9 credits...)