Members: 326,144
Threads: 115,589
Welcome to our newest member, Toeshoes
» Online Users: 1,586
0 members and 1,586 guests
No Members online

Old 06-28-2001, 09:52 PM

Question blind date?

One of my sisters is setting me up on a blind date with one of her bf's friends next week (just coz she swears I need to get out of the house). I have never seen this guy before nor talked to him and Im not even expecting anything (right now I just have a "blah" attitude about boys, since I'm post breakup), just to gain a pal at most...but what if we don't click, or he turns out to be a jerk? I don't want to make my sister or her bf feel bad by trying. How do I let them know that I didn't like the guy they brought?

Also what do I wear? I know first impressions are important, but to what extent? She said that it'll be just dinner and a movie...I know I could ask HER what she would be wearing, but of course, I would need to let my own style shine through right?

Feel free to also share your own blind date stories. Thanks!
Old 06-28-2001, 10:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
ALWAYS look good, thats not open for debate.
Smell good too.

If you are really worried about hurting your friend because you and the boy don't cluck you could just sleep with him .

Look good, feel good, pick the food you like to eat. Have three or four possible lines o conversation worked out.

Blind dates are fun.
Old 06-28-2001, 11:58 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks guys, for your advice. Hey James, I wasn't really expecting a guy to respond so fast, but it was great to get a guy's point of view, even if he was kidding about some things *laughs*

As always, ill keep your advice in mind newbie! LoL yeah ill definitely will fill u in about the scoop when it happens. It's so amazing how I meet all ya great people I can tell stuff to here in GC!
Old 06-29-2001, 12:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Hey! I think a blind date could be just the thing! Even if it doesn't work out at least it'll be something to do for an evening, right? I am a proponant of blind dates although I have only been on one! Here's how that one worked out...

4/29/91 - Tracy goes on blind date with dude
5/4/91 - Second date with dude
5/18/91 - Dude comes back to NYC for visit
5/30/91 - Tracy goes to Norfolk to visit dude
6/1/91 - Dude asks Tracy to marry him
6/30/91 - Tracy quits job, gives up her apartment and moves to Norfolk to be with dude
8/22/91 - Tracy and blind date dude marry!

Now, almost 10 years later, we're still together, still happy, with two kids, two dogs and a station wagon Isn't that a happy ending (except for the station wagon part)?

------------------
@~Tracy~@

By the light of the lamp, by the light of the lamp, by the bright shiny light, by the light of the lamp...if you are a DeeZee, you're the best that you can be, by the bright shiny light of the lamp!
Old 06-29-2001, 12:46 AM

Thumbs up

WOW Tracy, that's great! That's like, a total urban legend but it's not a legend! "like there's this girl who met her husband on a blind date and they're still inluv after all these years"...hehe

while im definitely not looking into the marriage aspect yet, Im all for a good time. But who knows, right? Ill keep y'all posted!

ps: what's so bad about a station wagon?

------------------
"To supress our feelings only makes them stronger"--from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Old 06-29-2001, 02:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
the cool thing about a blind date or first date is that you don't have to worry about not offending him, just be at your best. That's what makes it fun . . . exaggerate yourself in fun ways
Old 06-29-2001, 10:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Red face

Okay, I have a blind date story!! It was the summer before my freshman year of college. I was working at social services and there was this guy who was really cute who worked in the office next door. Well, he was married, (unfortunately lol) but he had a younger brother, who was the same age as I. Anyway, it turned out that he was going to be attending Morehead for college as well. Well, the guy brought me a picture of his brother and I was so excited because he was really cute too!!! Well, I was really pumped about the date, because we had talked on the phone and stuff and he was also really nice. Finally, we made plans to meet face to face. Needless to say he looked NOTHING like he did in the photo I was given. He had long hair, (it was short in the photo) and if nothing turns me off more, it's a guy with long hair. It also looked like he hadn't brushed it in about a year!! Anyway, when I saw that it was him, I almost turned around and went home (we had met at a gas station close to my house)I about passed out, really!! I decided that not going through with it would be too mean of me. I went ahead with the date, and actually had an okay time...he was nice. However I couldn't get over how much he looked NOTHING like he did in the photo. We never went out again...however we did become friends.
Old 06-29-2001, 05:21 PM

Rach that's pretty funny! Although at least u guys became friends..i mean, it's one thing not to look anything like the pic, but to have an asshole attitude to match it..well that would suck!

newbie, i dunno if it's "cheating"...lol but my prospective blind date and i have been communicating in AIM and he also emailed me his pic. so i guess that takes the "blind" off the date right? well he isn't bad looking (kinda cute actually). can i email it to u and tell me what u think?

------------------
"To supress our feelings only makes them stronger"--from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Old 06-29-2001, 05:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by gammazetagrl:
newbie, i dunno if it's "cheating"...lol but my prospective blind date and i have been communicating in AIM and he also emailed me his pic. so i guess that takes the "blind" off the date right? well he isn't bad looking (kinda cute actually). can i email it to u and tell me what u think?

Oh, hell yeah Cami!! I'm curious to know, esp. if he's hot . heheheheee. Are you two getting along?
Old 06-30-2001, 01:54 AM
GreekChat Member

I've been on only ONE actual blind date. I came home from Easter lunch at my aunt's and my coworker wanted me to go out on a double date with her boyfriend and his friend whom I'd never met. I didn't really want to but thought what the heck could it hurt.
So the four of us went to a restaraunt to munch and drink and then went to the movies. I had a good time. It was weird though because the guy was 26 and I'm 21 and it turns out his brother and I went to elementary through high school together. I had even once prank called his house. He game me props for that.
Old 06-30-2001, 09:38 AM

Hootie, that's pretty funny! why did u prank call his house, if u still remember?
Old 06-30-2001, 10:56 AM
GreekChat Member

I went on a blind date last night. Originally it was just going to be my friend Laurie and her bf, but she ended up getting one of her bf's single friends to come along. He was cute and really nice, but he is shorter than me and I am 5'3. I did have a great time bc I am not looking for anything serious since I leave for school in August. I would be willing to go on a group date again- he's really quiet and so am I so an alone date wouldn't work- even though he is short. So have fun on your blind date too gammazetagrl!
Old 06-30-2001, 01:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by gammazetagrl:
Hootie, that's pretty funny! why did u prank call his house, if u still remember?
Like I said, his brother, Joe, and I went to elementary school through high school together. I don't rememeber the exact reason why but my friend and I got this great idea to call Joe and pretend we were from Baskin Robins. I told him if he could name 31 flavors in 31 seconds he'd win a free waffle cone. LMAO...I think he got like 5. It was sooooo funny.
We were such rebels.
Old 06-30-2001, 01:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to gphi2k
I'll share my blind date story just because it's pretty funny how it all ended up.

A close friend of my mother's (who I've known since I was 5) worked with a guy my age who he thought i'd be great with and so he asked me if I'd be willing to let him give my phone number to this co-worker. I said sure. He called me and we got along really really well and agreed to go to a baseball game. So we meet down by the stadium and...well...how do I say this nicely? He was NOT my type at first sight. What does it mean when there is LESS than no attraction? Repulsion seems so harsh.

Anyhow, I digress...he turned out to be a bit of a dumb lug. He had nothing intellegent to say and he bored me to TEARS!. By the third inning I was in the bathroom crying to my best friend on my cell asking how I could get out of this date. Pretty sad scene. So, at the 8th inning, when I could no longer take it, I told him I had a really bad headache and wanted to go home. I assured him it was nothing personal (teehee). So rude me, who didn't know how to deal with it, ignored his 5 subsequent phone calls (the power of caller ID). Yes, it was rude and mean but I just didn't want to talk to him again and I knew I'd never see him again.

Fast forward about a year and a half. This same family friend meets my boyfriend and really really likes him. This family friend tells my boyfriend that there is a job at his place of work that would be great for him. So my boyfriend applies and gets the job. I think no more of it, until he comes home from his frist day of work and says "some guy at work says he went on a date with you?" . I told him the story and he laughed, unable to fathom what my family friend was thinking in setting us up. My boyfriend asked him what happened with him and I...Apparantly blind date guy replied with "I never touched her man!" followed by "we just weren't compatible" LOL.

Now, they're quite friendly and even hang out with eachother once in a while.

It sure was awkward at the comapany Christmas party!

Lesson for you all. Always be nice to blind dates...you never know when or where you'll see them again!!!