GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Alpha Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,172
Threads: 115,577
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,591
4 members and 1,587 guests
JayhawkAOII, John, Phrozen Sands

Old 06-14-2006, 04:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Rush Experiences

My recent experiences meeting Thetas in random places has me in the mood to start this thread. *Along with reading rush threads.*

I want to start a rush thread for all the Thetas. I would love to hear all you ladies giving your thoughts on going through recruitment and what you thought about Theta the entire way through.

I must say that Theta was at the top of my list the entire week. I loved the house the first night, but by Philanthropy night, I was SOLD! Not only did I meet the most amazing women during rush, but our philanthropy really hit home. I was thinking about my entire life during the presentation, and what I was doing with it. I had always wanted to adopt children instead of having my own because there are just so many children out there that need a loving home with good influences and support. My fiance has been supportive, but still wants us to have our own. So obviously, Theta was tugging at my heart even more by now. I met several women during rush, but one girl stuck out. They were all so amazing, but this girl felt like a best friend and sister INSTANTLY. She stuck with me throughout my entire experience and we talked about everything imaginable trying to get to know each other as fast as possible. How happy was I to see that she was there to lead me through Preference. She was teared up when I walked in and it honestly felt like I belonged no where else but here with this girl as my sister! The tears started to fall as she gave me a big smile and sat down with me. When the night was over, I had the same feeling as I had from the moment I walked into the Theta house for the first time. I didn't want to leave! I had barely any sleep that night. I thought about Pref until early the next morning when I finally crashed. I got up about two hours later exited that I hadn't recieved a phone call. I ran to the bid day festivities and almost fell to my knees seeing that the ladies of Kappa Alpha Theta wanted to extend me a bid!!! I ran to the house and leaped on the girl that had been with me through rush. She was standing there with a huge smile on her face and hugged me. She said from the moment she met me, she knew I was her rush crush.

I hold rush dear to me because I had such an amazing experience. Jordan and I have been the closest of friends for the last 6 years and still talk everyday. I love Theta just as much now as I did at initiation.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I started college at University of Kentucky. I went through recruitment my first semester there and I felt like their recruitment process was more of a "circus" atmosphere which turned me off. So I quit the next day. I also had quite a few friends from my high school and hometown that also were going there as well so I didnt feel a huge need to join there from lack of knowing people. As my academic goals changed I also felt a need to change schools in order to pursue my new direction, thus EKU. I had some friends who were Theta's at EKU. They pleaded with me to rush and I told them i really didnt feel like sorority life was my thing, but if it would get them to shut up about it, i'll do it (with the intention of not pledging). Right away I felt at home with the Thetas. I loved 3 other chapters too so my decisions were difficult at first. As the week progressed however I knew more and more that Theta is where I belonged and decided that yes I would like to pledge them. As we all know there are no guarantees with recruitment outcomes so I kept hoping and praying things would turn out. Each time I was invited back to Theta i got so excited. Finally, preference day came, and while i had a full schedule, and I did like the other chapter I went to, I knew I wouldnt be truly happy unless I was a Theta. I also knew that the other chapter really liked me and odds would be high of getting a bid from them, if i didnt get one from Theta. So in order to feel some control over that part of my destiny, I suicided my bid card to Theta (eventhough they tell you not to do that!). Things worked out to my favor, I pledged Theta, became quite happy, and my whole experience through the rest of my first undergraduate career was outstanding I'm also enjoying the alumnae experience quite a lot as a permanent alumnae secretary to Hanover, being the corresponding secretary to my local alumnae chapter, and on the Facility Corp. Board to Uk's chapter, all in addition to attending alumnae events to both UK and EKU

A side note:

I think half of someone's experiences in Theta, as well as all organizations is in part to how much one puts into it. So if you are a Theta/Alumnae, or from another chapter and you are wondering about your experiences as to why they arent or havent been as outstanding as many of us here describe, ask yourself how much time and effort did you put into your time as an undergrad. Did you make it a point to meet and get to truly know as many sisters as possible? Did you go to or take part in as many opportunities as you could? Same for alumnae. Are you participating in your local chapter? Have you thought about starting a chapter? Being a chapter advisor? A volunteer? If you dont like how your group is currently being run or whatever get involved and see how you can go about changing it (odds are if you are unhappy with how the group is being run, you wont be the only one but it takes someone to speak up and take initiative otherwise nothing will change). Get involved!