GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,200
Threads: 115,576
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,071
3 members and 1,068 guests
amIblue?, navane
Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 07:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Ask an AKA...Random Questions...

Sisterfriends, if you had the opportunity to ask an AKA a question about LIFE AS A MEMBER of Alpha Kappa Alpha, what would you ask? Remember, LIFE AS A MEMBER, NOT HOW TO BECOME A MEMBER?

SORORS, if questions are posed, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO ANSWER...(Repeat) YOU DO NOT HAVE TO ANSWER!

Sorors, let's see what happens.

Just because a question is asked, does not guarantee you will receive an answer.
Old 12-29-2004, 08:15 PM
GreekChat Member

I have a feeling that people will become mute all of a sudden. Waiting to see how it unfolds.

ETA: Good question. People THINK they KNOW, but they have NO idea.
Old 12-29-2004, 08:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Thank you AKA2D '91 for creating this topic.

Madam, how do you deal with those who approach you simply because of your membership in Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Incorporated?

How has your perception of Alpha Kappa Alpha grown through the years?
Old 12-29-2004, 09:28 PM
GreekChat Member

1.How do you ladies feel about members who decide the org isn't for them anymore because of the actions of their particular chapter?
2. Do you sometimes feel that all of the activities, $$$, and service can be overwhelming?
3. Do you always feel a connection with other members such as those older or younger than you? If you don't does it seem strange?

Last edited by exquizit; 12-29-2004 at 09:33 PM.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:33 PM
GreekChat Member

How much of your time is spent...

As a member, are you doing something for the community every week?
Old 12-29-2004, 10:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by exquizit
2. Do you sometimes feel that all of the activities, $$$, and service can be overwhelming?
3. Do you always feel a connection with other members such as those older or younger than you? If you don't does it seem strange?
I'll bite. I'll say yes to both. Being an active (financial and physical) member of AKA is very time-consuming and costly. However, I love AKA and what we stand for. I made a pledge that I intend to keep. So, I do it willingly. Yes, I do feel a connection with my sorors. It supercedes when and where you were initiated. We have all taken a pledge to AKA and her ideals.

Quote:
Originally posted by wannabeina As a member, are you doing something for the community every week?
Due to the nature of my work, I do something for the community everyday. However, I do not necessarily have community service projects that occur weekly...about twice a month.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OrangeMoon
Thank you AKA2D '91 for creating this topic.

Madam, how do you deal with those who approach you simply because of your membership in Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Incorporated?

For me, its all in the approach...for the most part I am cordial and open.

I am approaching two years of membership. I have an increased respect for the women of Alpha Kappa Alpha. There is so much more than the public perception. It is indeed a "SERIOUS MATTER".

Old 12-29-2004, 11:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
1.How do you ladies feel about members who decide the org isn't for them anymore because of the actions of their particular chapter?
There are always two sides to every story. My feelings would be based on a case by case situation.

ORGANIZATION is key! To be successful, an individual must know their limitations.......Know how much time you truly have. Know how to prioritize. Know how to save. Know when to say "no".

I feel a connection in that "we" share a commonality and that will never go away. I have the priviledge of being quite close to Sorors that are younger, the same age and older than I am.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: How much of your time is spent...

Quote:
Originally posted by wannabeina

As a member, there are activities that are done for the community. The timeliness depends upon the project.

One example would be tutoring. My schedule does not permit me to participate in this program; but there are members in my chapter that do participate in the program once or several times during the week.

Old 12-30-2004, 03:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Quote:
I think for the most part, interested ladies approach my sorors at the undergraduate level. I fail to see that at the graduate level. As such, my sorority has procedures and protocols that all of my sorors pledge to follow and that is defering to what is written on the website

Quote:
My perception of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. has grown through my years of my stuggle, with my main and with my might, to capture a vision fair... And I have lived my day through my Sorority and I am unable to neglect my sorors

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 12-30-2004, 03:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
It pains me to see some to walk out on their sorors. I guess the biggest thing to know going into my Sorority is to understand that it is Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. and the chapter is secondary. However some folks disagree.

Quote:
I thrive on challenges because that is how I joined my Sorority. It was challenging to wake up early in the morning and make sure positive statements on banners were posted before my "big sisters" woke up. However, that was a long time ago and times have changed... And the activities, monies and services are greatly similar to what needs to be done in my career. So, my Sorority work prepares me for what I get paid to do.

Quote:
I made a pledge to refrain from ill will toward any of my Sorors and I still hold true to that pledge to this day. Do I feel connected as a soror to other sorors? Most definitely. Age is factorless. I have yet to feel uncomfortable around any of my Sorors.

Old 12-30-2004, 03:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: How much of your time is spent...

Quote:
Originally posted by wannabeina
It depends on the chapter. Some graduate chapters have 1-2 huge fundraisers per year. My first graduate chapter works on their major fundraiser for roughly 10 months and maybe 3 weeks per month, which has yet to include chapter meetings.

Undergraduate chapters are asked to do less because most of those Sorors are still in school and we older Sorors expect high GPAs. However, many undergraduate chapters are enthusiastic about being of service to mankind. Although we graduate Sorors appreciate their energy to achieve or core targets, we still impinge upon them that they need to graduate and find suitable careers.

Old 12-30-2004, 08:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: How much of your time is spent...

Quote:
Originally posted by AKA_Monet
Undergraduate chapters are asked to do less because most of those Sorors are still in school and we older Sorors expect high GPAs. However, many undergraduate chapters are enthusiastic about being of service to mankind. Although we graduate Sorors appreciate their energy to achieve or core targets, we still impinge upon them that they need to graduate and find suitable careers. [/B]
What I hear you saying is that if I become an undergraduate member, the community service aspect is secondary to academics until after graduation.
Would it be safe to say that the day to day goal for an undergraduate member is to support her sisters in making it through their college years?

The chapter on my campus is currently suspended, so I have no way of asking or watching them to see what their priorities and goals are. Because they are suspended, I am aware that I may have to wait for an invitation into a graduate chapter.

Thank you in advance for your responses.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:22 AM
GreekChat Member

How do you really feel about an Alpha you don't know calling you "Soror?"

Personally, I wait to be called "Frat" by an AKA first.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Here in the Windy City trying to look cute with my hair blown all over my head.
Send a message via Yahoo to UpPinkies
Quote:
Originally posted by Senusret I
How do you really feel about an Alpha you don't know calling you "Soror?"

Personally, I wait to be called "Frat" by an AKA first.

It really depends on that person. I personally don't mind but some do. To me it is just a greeting, someone is just trying to be nice and open the lines of communication.

And let that Alpha be FINE, then I really don't mind...your included Senusret.
Closed Thread