Threads: 115,590
Welcome to our newest member, Mr. Doom
» Online Users: 1,348
2 members and 1,346 guests
gatordeltapgh, Xidelt

Old 02-20-2003, 11:02 PM
Banned

Online Alumnae Chapter?

Okay, on the NPC-Unofficial list there is talk about online alumnae chapters (especially Surfing Sisters). I was thinking that this could be a fun thing - especially for those of us that are not close to an alumnae chapter and miss the sisterhood, etc. Does anyone know if this is something possible for AOII or should I e-mail Sherry to see if this is a possibility (but only if others are interested as well)?

Thoughts?

Roses!

Sarah
Old 02-21-2003, 09:00 AM

Go for it, Sarah. I don't know if it's possible or would be allowed, but it can't hurt to ask. As a former Rose Member, I know that we revamped that program into the new AOII Always alumnae program. If it's not possible, hopefully we'll be willing to talk to those women in other sororities who have created a successful online alumnae group. I think AOII could always improve our online presence and communications efforts! It's good now, but it can always improve!

DZ's Surfing Sisters (http://www.surfingsisters.org/) is just wonderful, especially how they can be part of that AND a traditional alumnae chapter. I also think Kappa Delta Online (http://kdonliner.tripod.com/) does a great job. Do any other sororities have an official online alumnae chapter or online newsletter similar to these? I don't mean "private sides" with annoying message board software, but truly user-friendly communities that encourage their audience to USE it. (I know, I'm a web message board snob, but some are so much better than others!)

Of course, if you're not a dues paying member of your local alumnae chapter--please join! It's an easy way to support AOII an an alumna member. It's really easy to check the list of alumnae chapters on the official website. Also, if you don't have an alumnae chapter near you and you're not in a position to start one--join AOII Always. I think AOII Always info was in the last To Dragma, and is available on the Sisters Online site.

Roses,
Christin
Old 02-21-2003, 09:19 AM
Banned

My sentiments exactly

I actually joined the AOII Always program because I am not near an alumnae chapter and my attempts to start one in this area for the most part fell by the wayside (not completely giving up, but putting it on hold for a while. . . .)

I have another question to ask Sherry so I'm going to send her an e-mail today.

Christin, I'm assuming that this would be something you might be interested in joining as well?

Sarah
Old 02-21-2003, 04:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Count me in!!! I really like the Surfing Sisters format. Another thing is that they had SS t-shirts made and a "land" meeting at convention. How fun that must have been!

I don't know if any other NPC group that has gone so far as DZ or KD has but Beta Sigma Phi has many on-line chapters. Although, ASA has online chats once a week.

I also agree with Christin about the message board format. I am all for user-friendliness.
Old 02-21-2003, 05:36 PM
GreekChat Member

The private side discussion boards are neat but not well used. I think that the friendships that have developed here on AOII GC are proof that alumnae (even if a mere few) could really benefit from more on-line communications.
Roses,
AOIISilver
Old 02-21-2003, 08:56 PM
Banned

Okay, I e-mailed Sherry and I'll let you all know what she says (she's out of the office until Monday). I basically told her that it could be an extension of the AOII Always program - for those of us that are looking for more of the sisterhood and philanthropy but don't have the benefit of an alumnae chapter. So that she can't come back and say that this is what the AOII Always program is for. . . . I'll keep you posted!

Sarah
Old 02-22-2003, 05:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I would love to participate in something like this as well! I think that if they changed the sisters online part of the AOII web site to be more like GC, I think it would be used a lot more than it is. I also think it ought to be open to everyone (active or alum) whether or not they are a member of a traditional alumnae chapter. Thanks, Sarah, for raising the issue!
Old 02-22-2003, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Beryana
Christin, I'm assuming that this would be something you might be interested in joining as well?
Yes, ma'am...and that would be in addition to my involvement with the ongoing reorganizations efforts of the Columbus Alumnae chapter!

Christin
Old 02-22-2003, 09:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by rubyrose
I also think it ought to be open to everyone (active or alum) whether or not they are a member of a traditional alumnae chapter. Thanks, Sarah, for raising the issue!
I was actually thinking something more along the lines of Surfing Sisters in that it is an alumnae chapter but collegians could be non-voting members. This would be a special way for those of us who are not able to participate in a traditional alumnae chapter to still experience the sisterhood.

Sarah
Old 02-22-2003, 11:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Beryana
I was actually thinking something more along the lines of Surfing Sisters in that it is an alumnae chapter but collegians could be non-voting members. This would be a special way for those of us who are not able to participate in a traditional alumnae chapter to still experience the sisterhood.

Sarah
I see what you are saying. I checked out the Surfing Sisters web site a little more closely and read that they allow collegians to subscribe and participate in chatting but not officially join the chapter. It seems like a great way to accomplish what you are talking about. Interestingly enough, while I was checking out their website I also read in there somewhere that they have over 400 sisters who are members.
Old 02-26-2003, 10:33 PM
Banned

Okay, I got a reply from Sherry. Basically she said that she is interested and would like more information to pass on to the powers that be! Shall we give it a go coming up with something to give to Sherry to pass on?

If you want to PM me your e-mail address we can set up a mailing list to pass around info easier (easier to save/collect!). Also, if you know anyone else who might be interested have them e-mail me.

Roses!

Sarah
Old 02-27-2003, 10:39 PM

Sarah--check your PM box! I'm so excited!

Roses,
Christin
Old 03-03-2003, 08:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rubyrose
I think that if they changed the sisters online part of the AOII web site to be more like GC, I think it would be used a lot more than it is.

In the new Membership Information System that HQ is having set up this year(?), the message boards are going to more interactive like GC where even 'communities' can be set up. The bulletin boards in MyAOII are there until such time as the news sytem is in place . Maybe if we GC-types use them more, more members will get in the habit to view/use

Roses,
Shala
Old 03-03-2003, 09:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by NeonPi
In the new Membership Information System that HQ is having set up this year(?), the message boards are going to more interactive like GC where even 'communities' can be set up. The bulletin boards in MyAOII are there until such time as the news sytem is in place . Maybe if we GC-types use them more, more members will get in the habit to view/use

Roses,
Shala
Cool! I knew that some of the concerns raised about an online alumnae chapter are the facts that we have AOII Always and Sisters Online. I'm still trying to figure out a way that an online alumnae chapter would be different than those. . . . If the new message boards are going to be more like GC (user friendly) then that would be great! (BTW, I do get onto the website occassionally and see what new info has been posted on the message boards - definitely not as active as GC!)

Roses!

Sarah
Old 03-04-2003, 12:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NeonPi

Roses,
Shala
Shala,

I am glad to hear that they are looking to revamp the message boards. I was so excited when they put Sisters Online in place, but I definitely think it could be better utilized. Perhaps just a little reorganization is what is needed to help it catch on. I do think that the "Surfing Sisters" concept adds a little bit more above and beyond a message board though. It sounds like good timing for exploring this whole idea given that IHQ is looking to put something new in place.

Roses

rubyrose