Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,320
0 members and 1,320 guests
No Members online

Old 05-29-2003, 12:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Does your family show Greek Love?

Just curious, do you have relatives who are members of Greek Lettered Organizations? If so, how did they respond to you becoming greek?
Old 05-29-2003, 12:20 PM
GreekChat Member

First person to go greek.....

...in my family, so I kicked off the Legacy of RHOyalty!

My family is steeped in PHA-mily legacy. So all they wanted to know was when I was pursuing the Light.

I did have a (now ex) boyfriend trip out on me though. He's from the south. This fool phoned me long distance to say, you did what?! I wanted you to pledge DEF, so I could pledge OPQ and we could be a real "couple" and a greek "couple".

I was like WOW! Just how SHALLOW is that?

I also noticed elders in my life who were greek, came out of the woodworks to comment. And most of them ain't seen an ACTIVE day in their 'hood probably SINCE they pledged.
Old 05-29-2003, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

My family has Delta's, Ques, AKA's, and Kappas that I'm aware of.
As far as I know, I'm the 1st SGRho. My
Que cousin was the first person I called after I crossed and he was happy for me. His Delta mom was not however --you know, she was happy but not..ALOT of women at my old church (I'm not an active member anymore) are Delta's and when they found out well let's just say they still speak to me.

All kidding aside, all the greek people close to and in my family were happy for me and glad someone from my generation kept the tradition going on the west coast.

Last edited by NinjaPoodle; 05-29-2003 at 12:57 PM.
Old 05-29-2003, 01:35 PM
GreekChat Member

And being a first.....

Thats cool Soror NinjaPoodle. My family was just like "Uh-huh that's nice sweetie". Basically, if you like it, we love it.

I did have one aunt though that was kinda trippin. I think she watched school days one too many times.

She came at me talking about...... "Well I don't think you should have did it, you are so much more than a pretty face. Being pretty is superficial, and I hope your not trying to get all Bougie/stuck up on us. Just cause you went to college, don't come back home thinking you all-a that.....Cause I met some of you "sorority girls" and ......blah blah blah"

Then in the same breath asked about scholarship opportunity's for her daughter (my cousin). I was like Oh-no not my shallow sorority...... We don't really study, we just FLOSS, we're Sigmas now.
Old 05-29-2003, 11:42 PM
GreekChat Member

My aunt is an AKA, but that's all that I know who's greek in my family.

When I told my mom after I crossed, her first question was "So does that mean you have sorors now?" I thought that was cute since my mom isn't greek.

For the most part my family and close friends are cool with me being greek.
Old 05-30-2003, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

Re: And being a first.....

Quote:
Originally posted by Aurora6

Then in the same breath asked about scholarship opportunity's for her daughter (my cousin). I was like Oh-no not my shallow sorority...... We don't really study, we just FLOSS, we're Sigmas now.
LOL!
Old 05-30-2003, 10:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Well Sorhors,

I have a sister and two cousins that are sorhors, a brother-in-law that's a PBS, my nephew's wife is a Delta, two cousins that are AKA's, another female cousin's a Zeta, one of my male cousin's a PBS, another is a Que, and my sweetie is a Kappa. And several of my older male cousins are Kappas, etc. and the list goes on and on like break of dawn. Seriously, noone really cares what you pledged as long as you stay active and informed. More of my greek relatives will be the first one to say that you didn't join just to wear a tee shirt or to gain a personality- now get off your butt and live the motto, creed, etc.

Serioussigma22
Old 06-01-2003, 11:36 AM
GreekChat Member

don't even get me started!

well, i am not the first to go greek in my family... on both sides of my family, a lot of the older women are members of other orgs. and i got NOTHING BUT GRIEF when i pledge SGRho. peep this: my grandmother passed last summer and i went home for the funeral. at the wake, i wore an all black dress and wore a little blue and gold pin to jazz it up a little. IN FRONT OF THE CASKET, right after i viewed my grandmother's body, an older lady stopped me--my 2nd cousin--whom i had just met for the first time stopped me and said, "i know you couldn't have pledged that before you talked to me!" i took at deep breath and smiled and said, "let me guess... you are either an XYZ or and EDF" and sure enough, she was. C'MON, NOW--at a wake??? when i told her that my sister wanted to be in her organization, she promptly informed me that she couldn't provide a recommendation because SHE WASN'T EVEN ACTIVE!(hmmm.) it gets worse, though...
before i had even pledged SGRho, my grandfather passed my sophomore year in college. around that time, i had got really interested in greek life and had been going to all the little interest meetings, trying to see what everyone was about. i, OF COURSE, was blinded by the GOLDEN SIGMA SUN and made my choice. the week after, i went home for the funeral and saw several aunts and cousins who were members of sorority XYZ. we didn't get a chance to speak until we arrived at the cemetery, so i was really happy to see all of them and wanted to share my decision to pledge SGRho with them. at the gravesite, all i said was, "i really want to talk to you about something after this". THAT'S ALL I SAID... before i knew it, i was getting straight mobbed with hugs and one of them said, "that's my little XYZ baby; she's going to pledge!" i didn't want to steal anybody's joy at the burial, but later at the recessional, i told them, "well, actually, i am going to pledged SGRho" with a big ol' smile on my little face, thinking they'd be happy for me, and all i heard was discouraging comments for the next 15 minutes. one of them commented on how i was "too pretty" to be an SGRho, but i will never forget what my cousin allison said, "well, you can go ahead and do that-- everyone needs a FOLLOWER". now, to this day i am still trying to figure out how i am a follower for taking the RHOad less traveled? but i will say this: that experience only made me realize that being an SGRho really isn't easy--people got comments, criticisms, and jokes for days. but at the end of the day, i can still say I KNOW WHY I DID WHAT I DID, I DID IT FOR ALL THE PUREST REASONS, and if i had it to do all over again...
you know i would! EEEEEEEEEEE- you know the rest!
"Men often become what they believe themselves to be. If I believe I cannot do something, it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe I can, then I acquire the ability to do it even if I didn't have it in the beginning."-Gandhi
Old 06-01-2003, 04:54 PM
GreekChat Member

My Family

My mother, aunt (now deceased) and her daughter (my first cousin) are our sorhors. I have two aunts who are Zeta's, a cousin who is an AKA, and two of my younger cousins just joined Omega, and their dad is an Omega too.

So, my family had no problem with me going greek. The thing that got me interested is that my SGRho cousin joined a year before I did and after she crossed my mom greeted her with our secret hand shake. I thought 'wow, a secret hand shake. I wanna do that.'

BlueThunder, I am so sorry your family treated you like that. It is good to be part of a group that you can share with your family, but they should respect your choice if you don't 'go their way'. I love being greek, but blood is thicker than water.
Old 06-01-2003, 09:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Wow!

Sorhor Bluethunder don't sweat the small stuff and just continue to enjoy your sisterhood in Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc.

Serioussigma22

Last edited by NinjaPoodle; 06-03-2003 at 12:44 PM.
Old 06-05-2003, 08:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Knowledge1922
my 93 y/o great aunt is a very active AKA. She has has been very supportive and shown nothing but love to me.

my grandfather (deceased) was KAPsi

I also had a great-great aunt who was AKA and a great-great uncle who was APhiA. Both died before I was born.

All pledged through Boston chapters.
Old 06-06-2003, 05:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Sorhor Knowledge1922,

Your 93 year young Aunt is very inspiring and bless her heart.

Serioussigma22
Old 06-13-2003, 01:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool No doubt....

I'm trying to be out like that 93 yr. old AKA aunt of yours. Now that's how you repRHOsent.
Old 06-13-2003, 01:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah!!

<small hijack>

In addition to being that old and repRHOsenting Sigma, I'd also like to be able to pay my dues at that age. Unfortunatly I didn't pay them for a couple of years after I graduated from college, but I've been on a role since. I want Life Member Status. The Life Members in my chapter are some real cut-ups!! These older and wiser members sit on the front rows for Regionals and Boule's and heckel (?sp) the Sorhors on the dais. They are soo funny.
Old 06-13-2003, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Well my older brother is a man of Phi Beta Sigma. He supports me in about everything he possibly could. For all who were at the central region public meeting, he was the tall one with the suit and Phi Beta Sigma tie looking like a Kappa. He would kill me if he read this but if you think about the stereotypes of a Kappa man, my brother would definitely be it.