GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,158
Threads: 115,583
Welcome to our newest member, Christos-Cyp
» Online Users: 1,214
1 members and 1,213 guests
scrapinfificat

Old 07-14-2014, 12:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Droid vs. iPhone

Cell phone wars. Which do you prefer? Droid or iPhone? I have a Galaxy S5. I love this thing. When I originally bought it, I looked at the iPhone, but I didn't like the interface, the battery life is shorter, and the entire iPhone itself can literally fit inside my screen. They're too small.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator

If the iPhone 6 rumors are true, the gap will be closing very soon. Apple makes a very good product and if I hadn't dumped so much on apps that I use constantly from the app store, I would have probably gone to the S5.

I really wish these products weren't so damn proprietary though.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 07-15-2014, 09:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Droids give you more for your money. I have a Razor Maxx. With Apple, you're pretty much just paying for the name/brand.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to EagleChick19
Kevin,

Here's a link saying that the iPhone 6 won't be released until 2015 due to production problems.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/07..._says_delayed/
Old 07-15-2014, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

There are actually 2 iPhone 6's as rumored "out there". One is a 4.7" screen, the other is a 5.5" screen. It's the 5.5 that they're saying will not come until 2015. The 4.7" (which is larger than the iPhone 5) will come in September, by most accounts...

Last edited by shirley1929; 07-15-2014 at 01:32 PM. Reason: changed 4.5 to 4.7, which I believe is correct
Old 07-15-2014, 07:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I have only had Android phones because of the screen real estate and the ridiculous proprietary chargers. I like that all my devices can use the same charger. I don't understand why Apple can't use a micro USB like every other device on the planet. It's annoying. I do have an iPad now and it bugs me that I have to use a different charger for it. I like the way the Android OS integrates with Google so flawlessly. I like Google Maps for navigation. I like the additional menus that my iPad doesn't have. I have a Samsung Galaxy IV now and love it. Before that I had a Droid Razr and before that the original Droid. My work phone is a Droid too. A lot of it is about the screen real estate. But some of it is the variety of options and integration with other things.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I've only ever had Android phones. But I have an itouch and I used to have an iPad. I actually ditched the iPad for a Samsung tablet.

I'm not an apple fan (except for laptops) I don't care for the user interface of their OS and greatly enjoy how much more customization is available on the Android platform.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:05 PM

My husband had one of the early Droids. He was literally counting down the days to his contract expiry date so he could switch to an iPhone. He now has an iPhone 5.

I have an iPhone 4s and I'm happy with it. I'll probably go for an iPhone 6 once it's released.

The most important feature to me is that the phone can MAKE A DAMN CALL. It's first and foremost a PHONE. That's down to your service provider. Verizon has the best coverage I've found - I can get a signal in East Bumblefuck.

(But I still miss my StarTAC ... that thing could probably have gotten a signal from the moon.)
Old 07-17-2014, 02:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
The most important feature to me is that the phone can MAKE A DAMN CALL. It's first and foremost a PHONE.
Word.

A Samsung Galaxy (1, I think) was my first smartphone, and it was The. Buggiest. Nightmare. Ever. I hated it so much that I did something I did not think I would ever do when I got rid of it before I had finished paying for it. This happened after I needed to get on a conference call, and I was 45 minutes late because the bleeping thing developed some gremlin that would not let me dial. I could not use my phone as a phone, and that was the last straw.

I got an iPhone 5 the next week, after marching into the T-Mobile store, slapping the Galaxy down on the counter, and demanding something, anything, that was NOT a buggy nightmare.

I am not really an Apple fan-girl and I don't get the Apple obsession some people have. In addition, every phone I've ever had has features I like, features I don't like, elements that are great, and elements I wish worked better, things it does, and things it doesn't do, and the iPhone 5 is no exception to any of that. It's not magic or anything super-special. But I will say that, in general, it does what it advertises that it will do, with very little drama. That is a HUGE point in its favor.

(My favorite phone I've ever had? A Blackberry Pearl Flip 8220. If the iPhone handled email the way that phone did, I'd be **way** more in love with it.)
Old 07-17-2014, 10:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
My husband had one of the early Droids. He was literally counting down the days to his contract expiry date so he could switch to an iPhone. He now has an iPhone 5.
This is me. I hate hate hate hate my droid. Just hate it.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I love my iPhone. I've always had iPhones. I have a 4S, now, but I was due for an upgrade to a 5S. It's just that it's too much like the 4S, so, I'm keeping it until Apple releases another phone that's much better than the 4S. I love Apple.
HARRIS/WALZ 2024
Old 07-18-2014, 03:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfulgreek View Post
I love my iPhone. I've always had iPhones. I have a 4S, now, but I was due for an upgrade to a 5S. It's just that it's too much like the 4S, so, I'm keeping it until Apple releases another phone that's much better than the 4S. I love Apple.
I'm keeping my 4s until either it stops charging or I've saved up enough to get at least the 16gb 5s (gold) without losing my unlimited data—that is, unsubsidized by my provider.

I entered the smartphone world with a Droid, and while it did have some positives, it was slow as Christmas and the most random things would crash. I won't say my iPhone is perfect, but I do prefer it.

Part of that could be that I've just had better luck with my apple products all-around, though. Phone, computer, and tablet.