Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, TSigmaSlay
» Online Users: 1,091
0 members and 1,091 guests
No Members online

Old 04-01-2004, 04:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Georgia Southern Univ?

Anyone currently attend this school or an Alum? I'm interested in grad school there and just wanted to know about the area/campus/etc.
Old 04-01-2004, 05:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Georgia Southern Univ?

Quote:
Originally posted by TheEpitome1920
Anyone currently attend this school or an Alum? I'm interested in grad school there and just wanted to know about the area/campus/etc.
I just visited GA Southern with my niece last weekend. She is a high school senior who is thinking of going there. The campus is o.k., although the freshman dorms were pretty old. Enrollment is way up (gotta love the HOPE!), so there are quite a few new apartment styled dorms open or opening. Statesboro is a typical small town from the looks of it. I saw nothing interesting or remarkable outside of the college. It is only about an hour from Savannah and the beach though. Cost of living seems pretty cheap. I saw an sign that said apartments "start at $295'. Granted, it wasn't new or upscale, but the thought of getting an apartment for that price blew me away. I paid more than that for my first apartment almost 20 years ago.

GSU is also a big football school. The school won the D-II championship a couple of times.

That's about all of the information I can give you though. Good luck.
Old 04-01-2004, 05:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I attended Georgia Southern. Here's a small overview...

I don't know what field of study your interested in, but they are probably best known for their Colleges of Business and Education. Statesboro is in South Georgia about 45 minutes W of Savannah. It is very much a "college" town, there isn't much of anything else there. There is a mall - it's nothing to speak of. They recently passed liquor by the drink (within the last 6 years), and you can purchase beer and wine in stores. If you want to purchase liquor by the bottle you have to drive to the next county over. No purchase of alcohol on Sundays and Sunday hours (stores and stuff) are very strict 12:00 - 5:00 or they aren't open at all... People in Statesboro LOVE their football team. There are 6 NPC sororities, 11 NIC Fraternities, 1 NPHC Sorority (although there were 3 when I attended), and 3 NPHC Fraternities. Intermural sports are rather big at Georgia Southern as well. I chose to go to Southern as an undergrad because out of all the schools I visited the people there made me feel the most at home. People are friendly whether they know you or not.

I'm not quite sure what else to tell you or if this helped. Please let me know if you have more specific questions.
Old 04-01-2004, 05:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks so much! I'm interested in the College of Education. I don't mind the college town thing. I currently go to a school in an urban area and I prefer the small town atmosphere. How far is it from Atlanta? And is having a car a must?
Old 04-01-2004, 06:04 PM
GreekChat Member

It is about 3 - 3.5 hours from Atlanta. I don't want to say that having a car is a must (many of my friends didn't have them), but it is helpful. You can get by without one if you have friends with them. Public transportation is virtually non-existant.
Old 04-01-2004, 06:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey Soror! I'm an alumni of GSU! It's a great school. I still keep in touch with Sorors there. Let me know when you are visiting and I can give you a few numbers.
Old 04-01-2004, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

I have a senior daughter there now. PM me if you need any more information!