GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,158
Threads: 115,583
Welcome to our newest member, Christos-Cyp
» Online Users: 1,313
1 members and 1,312 guests
willTic

Old 09-15-2005, 09:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Cool Delta GEMS

I was very thrilled to hear that Delta GEMS (Growing & Empowering Myself Successfully) has been added to Delta's list of national initiatives. Delta GEMS will serve the 14 - 18 year old teenage girls. Although I have heard about a chapter that will have a co ed group.

Has anyone else signed up to be apart of Delta GEMS?

I signed up for Charlotte Alumnae's Delta GEMS and our first planning meeting is Monday evening.

I would love to discuss with others what your chapters are doing with your Delta GEMS members.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to smlwonderdst Send a message via Yahoo to smlwonderdst
I will be working with the Delta G.E.M.S. here in Memphis Alumnae. We have already started planning and will be going through applications on tomorrow. Our first meeting with the girls is Sept. 24. I am soooo excited. There has been a need for this program for a while. I commend Soror Rice for putting this into action.

On a kinda personal note ...

My teenage cousin is turning in an application. Our application asks the girls how they can benefit from a program like this. She said that her family is her biggest support system, but given her surroundings she is not always sure that she will make it once she has to start doing things on her own and supporting herself. She is hoping that this program will give her the tools needed to help her be sure about the that she can be and do whatever she wants.

I am just really excited about this program!!!
Old 09-15-2005, 11:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Gina1201
I signed up for Delta Academy and Delta GEMS. I really am excited about both programs for the upcoming year. Our first meeting with both groups is this Saturday. Plus, we're going to DC in November!!

Cause even when I'm a mess
I still put on a vest
With an 'S' on my chest
Oh yes, I'm a SUPERWOMAN
Old 09-15-2005, 11:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Nice...

Let me be the first Alpha on this site to commend the ladies of DST on their efforts. As an educator/administrator, I can truly appreciate ANY and ALL assistance from adults in the development of our children. But I would expect nothing less from Delta.

Onward and Upward....
Old 09-15-2005, 12:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DeltaVero
Delta GEMS

Miami Alumnae Chapter currently has a program that closely resembles the GEMS initiative. We will incorporate our current program into this program. See www.deltasigmathetamiamialumnae.org and go to programs.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Baltimore Metropolitan Alumnae has had a Delta Teens program for a long time. Our Delta Teens program will not adapt to the Delta GEMS format. They are very similar and we will be able to keep many of our current popular workshops and activities but I am excited to see a National Initiative extending beyond the Dr. Betty Shabazz Delta Academy. We will be doing this as an ACE project with several local collegiate chapters. Hopefully all chapters will have both the Academy and the GEMS programs. I think the new name and structure has revitalized interest in the program and we had a FABULOUS turnout at the planning meeting. Our GEMS kick off with the girls is on Sat. Sept 24. I will let you know it goes.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to kiml122
My chapter Valley Forge Alumnae had both Delta Academy and Teen Lift. Our Teen Lift also had boys. Now we will just have Delta Academy and Delta GEMS, and the girls from DA will transition right on in to DG when the time comes, but when we have our annual black college tour we will allow the boys to come back to that.

Be Breezy - Calvin from "House of Payne"
Old 09-15-2005, 05:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to treblk
Quote:
Originally posted by Gina1201
I signed up for Delta Academy and Delta GEMS. I really am excited about both programs for the upcoming year. Our first meeting with both groups is this Saturday. Plus, we're going to DC in November!!
make sure you contact me when you come to DC.

Federal City Alumnae Chapter has the Delteens Program, which I signed up for this year, I'm not sure if we are adopting the Delta GEMS initiative, but I'll find out this Saturday at our first gathering
Old 09-16-2005, 08:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Gina1201
Quote:
Originally posted by treblk
No doubt SOROR!!

Cause even when I'm a mess
I still put on a vest
With an 'S' on my chest
Oh yes, I'm a SUPERWOMAN
Old 09-16-2005, 04:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gina1201
I also signed up for both committees. We have had our DA planning session already but not DG yet.

I think that the introduction of this National initiative is very timely for our chapter because it offers a transition from Delta Academy to Delta GEMS to my chapter's Beau-Co program to our scholarship aid program.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Live_Wire17
I am working with the Delta GEMS this year. The Las Vegas Alumnae Chapter had the Del-Uniques (which was the teen group). We are excited about the new year as well. I will also be working with Delta Academy. I will be looking for what my Sorors are doing with their young ladies so we can get some ideas.

"Like the perfect lyrics over the tightest beat"
Old 09-19-2005, 09:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: New National Initiative ~ Delta GEMS

Quote:
Originally posted by CrimsonTide4
I was very thrilled to hear that Delta GEMS (Growing & Empowering Myself Successfully) has been added to Delta's list of national initiatives. Delta GEMS will serve the 14 - 18 year old teenage girls. Although I have heard about a chapter that will have a co ed group.

Has anyone else signed up to be apart of Delta GEMS?

I signed up for Charlotte Alumnae's Delta GEMS and our first planning meeting is Monday evening.

I would love to discuss with others what your chapters are doing with your Delta GEMS members.

My mommie just had 6 GEMS yesterday at chucrch with her. Here chapter is planning a lil something for them to do to feel helpful with the Katrina situation.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:11 AM

Send a message via ICQ to D.COM Send a message via AIM to D.COM Send a message via Yahoo to D.COM
I just updated the Gainesville Alumnae's website last night with Delta GEMS info: http://www.gacdst.com/deltagems.php

Check it out
Old 09-23-2005, 04:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by treblk

Federal City Alumnae Chapter has the Delteens Program, which I signed up for this year, I'm not sure if we are adopting the Delta GEMS initiative, but I'll find out this Saturday at our first gathering
Yes we are!
Old 09-26-2005, 12:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Live_Wire17
Quote:
Originally posted by D.COM
I just updated the Gainesville Alumnae's website last night with Delta GEMS info: http://www.gacdst.com/deltagems.php

Check it out
That looks great Soror...WOW you have the entire year lined up. My Sorors are always on the ball.

"Like the perfect lyrics over the tightest beat"