Welcome to our newest member, ibtisamkhan
» Online Users: 1,010
2 members and 1,008 guests
ibtisamkhan, Low D Flat

Old 08-20-2004, 11:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Girl's communion not valid, according to church

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...mmunion_denied

A girl who cannot digest wheat has been told that her first communion was not valid because communion wafers must contain wheat.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:26 AM
GreekChat Member

I saw this in the paper this morning... I feel badly for the girl
Old 08-20-2004, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

There are alternatives to the traditional wafers used in communion. Heck, oreos (without the creamy middle) are even acceptable according to one priest I know

But yeah, I feel bad for the girl and I think the Church needs to figure something out here.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 08-20-2004, 11:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to chideltjen
Quote:
"It is an undue hardship on a person who wants to practice their religion and needs to compromise their health to do so," Monarch said.
It's stories like these that make me wonder if practicing organized religion is a good idea.

I don't know how common celiac disease is, but what do other Christians do if they have the disease?

ETA:
Quote:
There are alternatives to the traditional wafers used in communion. Heck, oreos (without the creamy middle) are even acceptable according to one priest I know
The church my mom used to go to growing up used actual wheat bread... not the waffers. It may have been special because it was an Easter mass... but the whole "unlevened" bread tradition was thrown out the window.

Last edited by chideltjen; 08-20-2004 at 11:31 AM.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:30 AM

I feel bad for her too... just another example of the Catholic Church's inflexibility

Can she take communion wine instead? They're both equally valid.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:39 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't see it as an example of the Church's inflexibility. I see it as an example of the Church being faithful to her teachings and individuals wanting things the way they want them.

The child and her mother were offered an alternative. Why didn't she just take the wine, which is just as much Jesus' body and blood, soul and divinity as is the wafer?
Old 08-20-2004, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by chideltjen
It's stories like these that make me wonder if practicing organized religion is a good idea.

I don't know how common celiac disease is, but what do other Christians do if they have the disease?

ETA:

The church my mom used to go to growing up used actual wheat bread... not the waffers. It may have been special because it was an Easter mass... but the whole "unlevened" bread tradition was thrown out the window.
Was that a Catholic Church?

I played the church service at our national convention, our Grand Chaplain was Episcopal -- didn't use the unlevened bread either. It was just torn up white bread.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 08-20-2004, 12:08 PM

I may have missed it in the article, but I didn't see anything about the girl having been offered wine as an alternative. That probably would have been a better way to handle it - no question as to its validity. It does draw a distinction, though - most Catholics take either bread or both - I've never seen anyone take just wine, and wine is not always offered to the congregation.
Old 08-20-2004, 12:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ktsnake

I played the church service at our national convention, our Grand Chaplain was Episcopal -- didn't use the unlevened bread either. It was just torn up white bread.
Interesting. I currently attend an Anglican church. My church has two services, one at 9:30 am and another at 11:15. The 9:30 one is more modern, and the communion bread is definitely not a traditional communion wafer. In fact, it's slightly sweetened! The 11:15 one, which is the one I normally attend is more traditional.
Old 08-20-2004, 12:29 PM

She can take just wine and it would be valid. This is just another example of wah wah whiny parents. They've been offered an option and are refusing it, so phooey on them. A lot of these food allergies are BS anyway. (Sometimes they are real, but a lot of the time they're total BS.)

We had a congregant who was a recovering alcoholic and he didn't take the wine (we have actual wine) in little cups. Yes, maybe it made him a little "different" but the important part was that he received the Sacrament. Obviously this family thinks making their point is more important than that.
Old 08-20-2004, 12:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
She can take just wine and it would be valid. This is just another example of wah wah whiny parents. They've been offered an option and are refusing it, so phooey on them. A lot of these food allergies are BS anyway. (Sometimes they are real, but a lot of the time they're total BS.)
Quote:
When consumed by celiac sufferers, gluten (pronounced GLOO'-ten) damages the lining of the small intestine, blocking nutrient absorption and leading to vitamin deficiencies, bone-thinning and sometimes gastrointestinal cancer.
Quote:
Celiac Disease (CD) is unique in that a specific food component, gluten, has been identified as the culprit. Gluten is the common name for the offending proteins in specific cereal grains that are harmful to persons with CD. These proteins are found in all forms of wheat (including durum, semolina, spelt, kamut, einkorn, and faro), and related grains, rye, barley, and tritcale. Damage to the mucosal surface of the small intestine is caused by an immunologically toxic reaction to the ingestion of gluten.
Yes-- destruction of the small intestine is BS...

And I agree- the Catholic Church was offered an alternative and they turned it down- phooey on them.
And if they keep pushing it- proof that organized religion is harmful to people. Catholics wanting a little girl to get gastrointestinal cancer...

Last edited by IowaStatePhiPsi; 08-20-2004 at 12:56 PM.
Old 08-20-2004, 12:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aephi alum
I feel bad for her too... just another example of the Catholic Church's inflexibility

Can she take communion wine instead? They're both equally valid.
No, it is an example of ONE PRIEST'S inflexibility (and w/ holes in his medical information). Big difference.

There were several people w/ celiac sprue in the parish I used to live in. (Which, incidentally, serviced the Texas Medical Center, so you had ALL kinds of medical issues cropping up.) It's not as rare as the article is making it out to be.

The pastors all made it clear that if someone was in this very situation, approach them directly and let them know. That way, they could receive either a VERY small piece of the wafer, or just wine and everything was OK.

Quote:
The diocese has told Haley's mother that the girl can receive a low-gluten wafer, or just drink wine at Communion, but that anything without gluten does not qualify. Pelly-Waldman rejected the offer, saying her child could be harmed by even a small amount of the substance.
This quote is very telling. The alternative was offered - MOM rejected it. The Church tried to help, Mom is making the issue here. The rest of the article shows how flexible the RCC is w/ medical issues.

No need to slame the church over an isolated quote in the article, or over what seems to be a misunderstanding.

--add
Old 08-20-2004, 01:20 PM
Ginger

Quote:
Originally posted by adduncan
This quote is very telling. The alternative was offered - MOM rejected it. The Church tried to help, Mom is making the issue here. The rest of the article shows how flexible the RCC is w/ medical issues.
But I don't think the alternative was acceptable. In this case, gluten is basically poison for her. If it were me, and the church was saying "You need to take this poison", I'd say no. The option of "Okay, well then just take a little bit of poison" doesn't seem that much better
Old 08-20-2004, 01:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ginger
But I don't think the alternative was acceptable. In this case, gluten is basically poison for her. If it were me, and the church was saying "You need to take this poison", I'd say no. The option of "Okay, well then just take a little bit of poison" doesn't seem that much better
That's why the "wine only" option was presented. (notice there were TWO different options given in the quote posted) No gluten in communion wine.

Mom turned that down too, and it had nothing to do w/ gluten.

--add
Old 08-20-2004, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
I understand that the girl has a serious medical condition. She could have received only the blood and not the body, and it would have been legitimate. I think that shows flexibility.