GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,166
Threads: 115,578
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,459
3 members and 1,456 guests
IndianaSigKap, John, Xidelt

Old 01-17-2006, 06:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Recipe Swap

Ok, we have the what's for dinner thread and favorite meal thread... I'm hungry and inspired. Let's swap recipes!

I made this this other night:

Roasted chicken with steamed vegetables and couscous

Ingredients
1 whole chicken
4 fresh rosemary stems
2 lemons
½ tbs basil
½ tbs thyme
4 tbs unsalted butter
2 tbs olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Pre heat oven to 350 degrees.

Reach into the chicken and pull out the butcher’s bag of giblets. Discard. Rinse chicken cavity and outside under cold running water.

Melt butter in a bowl. Add basil, thyme and juice from ½ of your lemon. Brush mixture on and under the chicken’s skin.

Cut second lemon in half. Take lemon halves and place in chicken cavity. Insert the rosemary stems.

Place in roasting pan on roasting rack. Rub olive oil on top of chicken. Season with salt and pepper.

Add about 1 cup of water to the bottom of the pan.

Put pan in oven. Baste every 15-20 minutes for 1 hour and 20 minutes or until cooked to your liking. Set for 15 minutes. Remove lemons and rosemary from cavity. Carve and serve chicken.

Fresh green beans, rinsed and cut
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped

Turn frying pan on high. Add oil and garlic. Sautee until brown. Add water to the bottom of the pan and green beans. Cook until tender or to your liking. Stir occasionally. Drain any remaining water and serve as a side dish.

A box of couscous—read the directions. Serve with your chicken and green beans.

Last edited by adpiucf; 01-18-2006 at 01:01 PM.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:05 PM
GreekChat Member

My favorite recipe of the moment, Wendy's Frosty:

Makes 1 Serving

1 cup fat free milk
2 Tbsp FF cool whip (Optional)
2 Tbsp sf/ff instant chocolate pudding mix
1 tsp vanilla (or to taste)
7 ice cubes

Mix all together in blender, then pour into glass. Eat with spoon!
Old 01-17-2006, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

recipe exchange

i was thinking of starting this very thread! thanks adpiucf!!

chicken pot pie

1/4 c. butter 1 sm.pkg. frozen mixed vegetables
1/4 c. flour 3 stalks celery, finely diced
2 c. chicken broth 1 onion, finely diced
2/3 c. milk lawry's seasoned salt,to taste
2 c.(or more) cooked, lemon pepper,taste
chopped chicken 2 (9-inch) ready-made pie crusts
1 tsp. poultry seasoning

to one large pot of boiling water, add raw chicken(i use 4 or 5 large, boneless, skinless chicken breasts), onion, celery,
seasoned salt ,lemon pepper and poultry seasoning. cook until chicken is done. if celery stalks have some leaves, throw them inthe water-they really add flavor. remove chicken and let cool-then chop into bite sized pieces. meanwhile, melt butter and mix with flour in a large bowl(this makes a roux). add 2 cups of chicken broth, 2/3 cup milk, the mixed vegetables, and more salt and pepper if needed. line quiche pan or oblong 9 x 11 inch baking dish with one pie crust. put other crust on top and seal edges. cut air vents in top. bake 35 minutes at 425 degrees. you may make two 9" pies using frozen pie crusts, & one pkg. ready made crusts, if desired. these freeze well, but freeze uncooked, thaw in refrigerator and cook as directed above.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: recipe exchange

Quote:
Originally posted by FSUZeta
i was thinking of starting this very thread! thanks adpiucf!!

chicken pot pie

1/4 c. butter 1 sm.pkg. frozen mixed vegetables
1/4 c. flour 3 stalks celery, finely diced
2 c. chicken broth 1 onion, finely diced
2/3 c. milk lawry's seasoned salt,to taste
2 c.(or more) cooked, lemon pepper,taste
chopped chicken 2 (9-inch) ready-made pie crusts
1 tsp. poultry seasoning

to one large pot of boiling water, add raw chicken(i use 4 or 5 large, boneless, skinless chicken breasts), onion, celery,
seasoned salt ,lemon pepper and poultry seasoning. cook until chicken is done. if celery stalks have some leaves, throw them inthe water-they really add flavor. remove chicken and let cool-then chop into bite sized pieces. meanwhile, melt butter and mix with flour in a large bowl(this makes a roux). add 2 cups of chicken broth, 2/3 cup milk, the mixed vegetables, and more salt and pepper if needed. line quiche pan or oblong 9 x 11 inch baking dish with one pie crust. put other crust on top and seal edges. cut air vents in top. bake 35 minutes at 425 degrees. you may make two 9" pies using frozen pie crusts, & one pkg. ready made crusts, if desired. these freeze well, but freeze uncooked, thaw in refrigerator and cook as directed above.
Looks like a good recipe! I'm assuming that if you want to freeze the pie, you still have to boil the chicken first??
Old 01-17-2006, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator

prepare the pie just as if you were going to bake it right away, (so yes, chicken is cooked)but freeze it instead. when you are in the mood for chicken pot pie, take it out of the freezer, defrost in the fridge and cook for 35 minutes at 425 degrees.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Anybody have a good recipe for meatloaf?
Old 01-17-2006, 11:43 PM
Banned

Protein shake: Use Metrx vanilla flavor, add 2% milk (no water), and mix. If you want to get wild, add some bananas into that mix.

Easy Mac: Open packet contents, pour into bowl, add water, heat for 3 minutes, and mix in your cheese powder.

-Rudey
Old 01-18-2006, 10:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tnxbutterfly
Anybody have a good recipe for meatloaf?
The recipe I have I got off the back of the McCormick's meatloaf seasoning packet.... I think it's pretty good, but there might be something better.

Side note- I always use ground turkey instead of ground beef in my meatloaf. It's yummy.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FSUZeta
prepare the pie just as if you were going to bake it right away, (so yes, chicken is cooked)but freeze it instead. when you are in the mood for chicken pot pie, take it out of the freezer, defrost in the fridge and cook for 35 minutes at 425 degrees.
Thanks
Old 01-18-2006, 12:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Pineapple Chicken Salad

This is absolutely yummy!

Ingredients:
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 can pineapple chunks (or use fresh)
1 cup light miracle whip
1/2 cup crushed walnuts or pecans
1 medium sized apple (whatever kind you like-- Gala or Jonathan work well)
1 TBS. apple juice
1 tsp garlic powder (more to taste)
1/2 tsp dry ground mustard (more to taste)
salt & pepper to taste

Directions
Bake the chicken breasts on 400 until golden brown (about 45 minutes or so). Put aside to cool. Meanwhile chop the apple and combine with pineapple, miracle whip, apple juice, walnuts with garlic, dry ground mustard, salt and pepper. Once the chicken has cooled
tear into shreds and add to the mixture. Let chill about 30 minutes, and serve with crackers or good french/italian bread.

Warning: The above post may be dripping in sarcasm and full of smartassedness.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I call this my "Rachael Ray" salad cause I got the recipe from one of her 30 minute meals show. (she calls the salad a "4 star salad")

1 lemon
1 red onion
1 red pear
fresh thyme
fresh mint leaves
3 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil

Lettuce of your choice (i just a head of iceberg lettuce, but in her show she used Spring lettuce...my mom likes to use it with Romaine lettuce)

In a bowl, cut the lemon in half and squeeze the juice out (no seeds). Then you start to whisk the "E.V.O.O." into the lemon juice. After that, you pull out a few sprigs of thyme (as much as you want) and put it into the bowl. Then you get your mint leaves (again, as much as you like...i usually use around 5 leaves) and chop them up finely. Once chopped then you can put into the bowl. Then you can chop up the onion (in her recipe she used the whole onion, but i cut the onion in half and then only use half of that half...lol)

This is where i deviate from Rachael's original recipe. She says to cut up the red pear and put into the bowl, before you put it into the refrigerator......BUT, I put the bowl into the refrigerator (and sometimes leave it overnight) and THEN put the chopped up red pear into it. So, I put the bowl into the refrigerator, and then i start to cut up the red pear into small edible pieces (not too small, but not too big). Then, i get out the lettuce...and chop it up. (if you use a bag of lettuce, you can skip this part).

Once everything is chopped up. I'll pull out the bowl from the refrigerator, put the red pear into the lettuce and them pour bowl mixture over the lettuce. Then i just toss the mixture so that hte lettuce and the pear gets coated.

YUMMY!!! Its been a hit with my family.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm looking for a recipe for Vidalia onion pie. I can't quite perfect the one my grandma passed on to me, so any tips or variations would be appreciated.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Southern_Grace
I'm looking for a recipe for Vidalia onion pie. I can't quite perfect the one my grandma passed on to me, so any tips or variations would be appreciated.
You're probably not using enough onion.... My suggestion is whatever amount your recipe says- double it. Trust me.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Lindz928
You're probably not using enough onion.... My suggestion is whatever amount your recipe says- double it. Trust me.
OK so a couple weeks ago I was cutting up onions and I cried for like an hour. How do I make that not happen?

-Rudey
Old 01-18-2006, 01:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rudey
OK so a couple weeks ago I was cutting up onions and I cried for like an hour. How do I make that not happen?

-Rudey
Oh, sweetie, you're not cooking with the right onion.