GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,187
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,176
1 members and 1,175 guests
UW_dawg

Old 01-08-2001, 05:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ruca
Question Drug Free Greek Orgs.?

I'm looking for a member of a Drug-Free Fraternity or Sorority to do a short interview with for a health project.

I'm basically just looking for the events you sponsor, and reasons for doing so.

Can any of y'all help me?
via e-mail, or post here...rucadream@bolt.com

Thanks!! <3Ruca
Old 01-08-2001, 07:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Angry

Okay, I'm assuming that all Greek national offices have a strict policy on drug use. What you do on your own time is your business to a certain extent. I believe that if a greek's drug use became public knowledge, some sort of disciplinary action would be taken, via suspension or expulsion. All GLO's have high moral priciples, ideals, and standards and I'm positive drug use is not a part of it. So in essence, you could interview any greek. They may not be drug free, but I'm more than positive their organization as a whole is drug free. I haven't heard of any GLO's advocating or supporting drug use amongst its members.

------------------
KAPPA ALPHA PSI FRATERNITY, INC.
SPR 97
XI LAMBDA

[This message has been edited by NUPE4LIFE (edited January 08, 2001).]
Old 01-08-2001, 07:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree with Nupe. All Greek Organizations are drug free -- at least on paper. Of course, like in any other organization, there are going to be rule breakers.

I would be tempted to say the same thing Nupe did, though. In theory, you should be able to ask any Greek.

Now, if you want to talk alcohol free, that's another matter.

DeltAlum
Old 01-08-2001, 08:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ruca
Lightbulb

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I meant Drug-Free as in drug AND alcohol free.

Any takers?

Thanks.
Old 01-08-2001, 09:45 PM

Ruca,

Some organizations call themselves "dry", and this usually means that the CHAPTER sponsors no activities with alcohol, but the members can go to a bar or whatever on their own.

As far as organizations where not only the chapter as an entity, but the members in their own personal lives, do not use alcohol, I think there are a few on a local level. I don't know of any on a national level who have these rules.

Old 01-15-2001, 07:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

I am confused; do you mean drug free sorority/fraternity or A member of a sorority/fraternity who does not smokes nor drinks?
You make it sound as if drugs and alcohol is what WE are about. As stated by some already, What you do is your business, not the organization's. Because you are "greek" it does not mean you have to "follow" a certain way of life. You do you and the things that you like. Business is business, your life is yours. As far as your interest on some of the things we do and why, check the national webpages for the respective orgs. you want. Also, besides the programs the org. does at a national level, from my experience with ALL NPHC and orgs. in general, chapters do other projects depending on the community they are in. For example, we do Adopt-A-Kid program, Sleep Out for the homeless and so on. Feed the homeless for Xmas and THanksgiving, as well as visit nursing homes were we play and talk with the residents. Just recently we helped clean some schools and parks in the area.
Hope it helps.

Maria (The Dominican SGRho with the sexy accent) Make 'em say uuuuuuhhhhhh
SIGMA GAMMA RHO Sorority, Inc.
What else did you expect? Ju don know?
Old 01-15-2001, 07:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorry for the mistake, I mean to say where instead of were. MUAH!!!!!!!!!

Maria (The Dominican SGRho with the sexy accent) Make 'em say uuuuuuhhhhhh
SIGMA GAMMA RHO Sorority, Inc.
What else did you expect? Ju don know?