Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,489
2 members and 1,487 guests
John

Old 03-04-2002, 05:20 PM
GreekChat Member

the deal with the canes...

ok...my question to you gentlemen.

How do you feel about other orgs using canes?
Do you feel offended by it or what?

I pose this because...my guy is a nupe. When i was practicing with my sorors at a neighboring school for a stepshow, they said we had one part where we use canes.
So anyways, he was up in arms about the fact we were using them and was talkin mad sh*t. So what makes it that no other org should use them? I was taught that the men of KAPsi taught the ladies of SGRho to step with canes back in the day in Indiana. I do not mean we should be bopping, twirling, and the whole nine yards, but we use them for beat. We could have just as well used sticks...but canes are usually easier to find. Anyways, some responses would be apprieciated...

Total ArRHOgance #4
WIN 01
Iota Psi "Covergirl Chapter"
10 pearls and 2 rubies make a true woman
Old 03-04-2002, 08:21 PM
GreekChat Member

I've been to three stepshows in the past month and I think I've seen just about every org. using canes. Besides Kappas, I'd seen SGRhos and Sigmas use them, but never anybody else. At a show I was at last weekend, sorors came onstage in pink jumpsuits and started twirling green canes.. my mouth was wide open. It was just something I'd never seen before.
Old 03-06-2002, 11:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SweetestDiva
I've been to three stepshows in the past month and I think I've seen just about every org. using canes. Besides Kappas, I'd seen SGRhos and Sigmas use them, but never anybody else. At a show I was at last weekend, sorors came onstage in pink jumpsuits and started twirling green canes.. my mouth was wide open. It was just something I'd never seen before.

You aint neva eva seen a Que twirling no cane, nor will you ever. Cane twirling belongs to Kappas. No one else should ever pick up a cane in a stepshow, especially Sigmas. Do your own stuff. As many old school Kappas as I know, none of them have ever stated that Kappas taught SGRhos to step with canes. Having worked with a Kappa Provincial officer (Spr '83), the whole Indiana Love thing is a recent (post 90's) phenomenon and Kappas would not have been teacher their art to any sorority.
Old 03-06-2002, 03:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DoggyStyle82

You aint neva eva seen a Que twirling no cane, nor will you ever. Cane twirling belongs to Kappas. No one else should ever pick up a cane in a stepshow, especially Sigmas. Do your own stuff. As many old school Kappas as I know, none of them have ever stated that Kappas taught SGRhos to step with canes. Having worked with a Kappa Provincial officer (Spr '83), the whole Indiana Love thing is a recent (post 90's) phenomenon and Kappas would not have been teacher their art to any sorority.
I don't know if you care, but there's a guy who wrote some paper on the History of Stepping and he does a lot of tours and goes to different conferences and universities and speaks about.
I don't know if he's greek or not.

Anyway, I'm not sure where he got his sources, but he says Phi Beta Sigma was the first to use canes, and Kappas made it their own by perfecting twirling. So if you want to be technical, who "owns" the use of canes?

I'm not sure where you are, but many BLGO at Black colleges and Univ. step with canes. They don't step with the same style as KAPsi. The don't do a lot of twirling. But the use canes nonetheless.

I go to many step shows and many sororities step with canes. Sigma Gamma Rhos especially.

Divine Zeta

Last edited by DivineZeta; 03-06-2002 at 05:22 PM.
Old 03-07-2002, 07:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

No, I never saw Omegas with canes. I'd never seen my sorors with canes either though, nor did I expect to. But sure enough, there they were. I'd heard the same thing as DivineZeta, so I never thought much of Sigmas using them. I really don't have an opinion one way or the other, probably because the cane has no significance to me. Which is the argument some would make as to why a person with that perspective shouldn't be stepping with one, I'm sure. That's understandable... I never gave the issue much thought until now and I'm interested to see how Kappas feel about the subject.

Four of my friends share an apartment. Two are Kappas and they share a room. I think there's a total of about 4 to 5 canes up on the wall and they fall every oh.... 10 minutes or so. But the number one house rule is that you don't touch the canes. Doesn't matter if they fall off the wall, fall on the floor, fall on YOU, whatever. One of my LS's made the mistake of reaching to pick one up off the floor... everbody that visits regularly was like.... "NOOOOOO!!!!" I've learned in the greek world that what's ordinary to you can be very significant to another org... so it's just important to be respectful. Sorry for getting so off topic.
Old 03-08-2002, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SweetestDiva

No, I never saw Omegas with canes. I'd never seen my sorors with canes either though, nor did I expect to. But sure enough, there they were. I'd heard the same thing as DivineZeta, so I never thought much of Sigmas using them. I really don't have an opinion one way or the other, probably because the cane has no significance to me. Which is the argument some would make as to why a person with that perspective shouldn't be stepping with one, I'm sure. That's understandable... I never gave the issue much thought until now and I'm interested to see how Kappas feel about the subject.

Four of my friends share an apartment. Two are Kappas and they share a room. I think there's a total of about 4 to 5 canes up on the wall and they fall every oh.... 10 minutes or so. But the number one house rule is that you don't touch the canes. Doesn't matter if they fall off the wall, fall on the floor, fall on YOU, whatever. One of my LS's made the mistake of reaching to pick one up off the floor... everbody that visits regularly was like.... "NOOOOOO!!!!" I've learned in the greek world that what's ordinary to you can be very significant to another org... so it's just important to be respectful. Sorry for getting so off topic.
And the Kappas have yet to say anything.......I find that interesting but my Kappa sands always says "If people wanted to step with Canes you should have pledged Kappa"

Sphinxpoet
Old 03-08-2002, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sphinxpoet

And the Kappas have yet to say anything
Probably because GC is DEVOID, WITHOUT, MINUS any active, regular KAPPAS.
Old 03-08-2002, 10:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I'm new to this, so I hope I'm doing this right. First off I'd like to say that I too have heard that PBS is the orginator of not only cane stepping, but stepping in general. But if it were not true, it's very rude to say that "especially Sigma's" should not be picking up a cane!
I'm a SGRho I have always known my sorors to step w/ canes! We have the same respect for our canes as Kappas. Soror, sorry I have never heard that the Kappa's taught us how to use them in Indy. Furthermore, DoggyStyle it is irrelivant to talk about Indy Luv, b/c that has nothing to do w/ them teaching cane steps. And how would you know what a Kappa would teach? You're not one.
Anyway, I have seen PBS, Kappas, Zetas, Detas, AKAs, and SGRho's all step w/ canes here in the midwest. I understand the feeling of the Kappas. However, it's not like anyone has taken their style. Whether they have a right to be upset, that is something that can not be addressed because no one can control their feelings and people vary. I'm not anal when it comes to someone touching my cane or my letters like some of my sorors. But I do expect RESPECT for organization, meaning as long as they aren't using my cane or wearing my letters I'm cool. However a person wants respect shown is different, and I understand everyone's rational is significant to them.
I will say numerous SGRho chapters step with canes, and all I can say is sorors keep on stepping! It's not gonna stop now! Just as long as nobody is stealing someone else's moves, it's all good! Now that's another topic, "Greeks that steal other organizations steps."

Rhapsody in Blue
#3-Fall 1997
Blue and Gold Rules Everything Around Me!
EEEEEEEEEEEE-YIP!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-10-2002, 09:32 AM
GreekChat Member

the deal with the canes....

I have to say that when I was an undergrad, the Kappas on my campus worked with us when it came to using canes. So to say that Kappas would not teach SGRho or any other group how to work a cane...is way too general of a statement to make. We appreciated their help and I know they did not mind showing us a few cane steps. They knew we were not trying to claim it as our own, but it was taught to us that SGRho's were the first sorority to really start using canes, in honor of Kappa. My chapter was founded in "87", and my sorors were using canes then, so it is not just an "Indiana Love Thang", And I as well have seen alot of groups use canes or the smaller sticks (sorry...I do not know the proper name). But I have also heard that Sigmas were the first to step with canes as well. So...I guess you could go back and forth on that issue forever. (I do have to give props to those who can step with the canes, because it is not easy! But I can also understand if the Kappas feel as if no-one should use the canes, because it does seems as if we all have borrowed moves, steps, ideas from other orgs., to the point where you have no idea who really started what.

Last edited by Tenacious1922; 03-10-2002 at 10:13 AM.
Old 03-10-2002, 11:45 PM
GreekChat Member

It is very ironic to me that I have not heard a Kappa yet comment on this question. I too am sort of curious as to what they think....I know this may seem off the wall but I was taught that the Alpha's started using canes but they stopped because the Kappa's "stole that style". From this the Alpha's simply let the Kappa's have the stepping with canes style.

Oh, by the way, I am new to this site so I hope no feathers were ruffled . Halla back.
Old 03-11-2002, 02:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to The Original Ape
Cool You can't believe everything you hear.

If you heard that, it's bullshit! I aint neva seen or heard of ANY chapter of MY BRUHS using a cane! Where the hell did you cross? Alphas aint NEVA used a cane for jack shit!
Old 03-11-2002, 03:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by D-Ception
It is very ironic to me that I have not heard a Kappa yet comment on this question.
For the SECOND time (see CrimsonTide4's post for the first mention), the Kappas have been missing in action since August. That's why they haven't responded.
Old 03-11-2002, 06:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DELTAQTE Send a message via Yahoo to DELTAQTE
Question The Kane issue

Recently Fresno State had their annual step show.

Well some Sigmas from Sacramento went out there and did their thing, BUT ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE when they took out some blue and white canes. I mean the Kappa section almost knocked over the S G Rho section. A Que had to stop one Kappa from getting on the stage.

And let me just put it out there, I am so tired of Sigmas

1. Claiming the Kanes
2. Being the originators of stepping
3. Claiming they were the first to have a "dogmatic" image.
4. The first to hop.

So if one organization founded all these things, WHY OH WHY DIDN'T YOU KEEP THEM??? Shouldn't this of been passed down like your other traditons? I'm sorry, but I have seen pictures of Ques back in the 30's and Kappas in the 40's with Kanes(from older relatives) so if it worked with them, why didn't it with the Sigmas?

So that is why I when I hear them talk about it. Maybe you do have proof, but my question is WHO ROCKS THE KANES/DOGMATIC IMAGE/HOPPING NOW? And I got an answer, it's ain't the Sigmas.

I've had this arguement many times before and I'm sure this isn't the last.

QTE
Old 03-12-2002, 01:53 PM
GreekChat Member

This is all very amusing. First of all, the "Kane" has a different level of signifiance for Nupes. It is not just something that used as a prop in stepshows. And yes, as a Nupe I have seen other organizations use canes at shows and yes, I have heard that other organizations used canes before it became synonymous with members of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. However, the kane has special significance for us because of what it stands for, so while other groups may appear with them, they are in no way the same "kanes" that Nupes hold dear.

And not to diminish the topic or the replies because the question is an interesting one, but perhaps the Nupes have not replied because this matter has been a trivial one to us for some time. I only decided to add my "two cents" as a point of clarification.

Last edited by Anakin1911; 03-12-2002 at 06:47 PM.
Old 03-12-2002, 06:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PrettyKitty Send a message via Yahoo to PrettyKitty
Quote:
Originally posted by Anakin1911
This is all very amusing. First of all, the "Kane" has a different level of signifiance for Nupes. It is not just something that is as a prop in stepshows. And yes, as a Nupe I have seen other organizations use canes at shows and yes, I have heard that other organizations used canes before it became synonimous with members of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. However, the kane has special significance for us because of what it stands for, so while other groups may appear with them, they are in no way the same kanes that Nupes hold dear.

And not to diminish the topic or the replies because the question is an interesting one, but perhaps the Nupes have not replied because this matter has been a trivial one to us for some time. I only decided to add my "two cents" as a point of clarification.
well said...no need for anyone else to reply...lol...hahaha...

Last edited by PrettyKitty; 03-12-2002 at 06:12 PM.