Threads: 115,583
Welcome to our newest member, LynchMob66
» Online Users: 1,465
0 members and 1,465 guests
No Members online

Old 04-11-2007, 04:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Alum Involvement

I'm currently in Birmingham, Al area - we have 3 collegiate chapters who are in need of advisors and corporation members and an alum chapter that is struggling for members. Suggestions for getting alums involved? There are currently 2000 AOII alums in this area - there should be a bigger involvement.

We are currently hosting a meet and greet - to answer questions for those who are interested in participating on AAC/CB or in the alum chapter at Jason's Deli in Hoover on 150 at 6pm Thursday 26th. If you know of anyone in this area - please pass it along - or they can email me at ebholt@samford.edu.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:02 PM
GreekChat Member

We have the same problem in Oxford. I would say there are probably only 50-75 alumnae in the area but it's like pulling teeth to get them involved. I think it's just all about finding some "key" alumnae who can spark new interest in new alumnae and alumnae who haven't been previously involved. Also, I know in Oxford we get the excuse that people are too busy with their churches or other philanthropic groups in Oxford. I know the reason I have volunteered is because AOII gave me so many great opportunities as a collegiate member that I want current collegiate members to have those same experiences. Plus, I want to see AOII continue to strive and move forward in all they do on campus and in the community. I think your event of having an "interest meeting" is really good and you never know, you might have some alumnae come out of the woodwork who haven't helped in the past.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:29 PM
GreekChat Member

This might sound corny, but have you considered contacting some of these people by phone or e-mail? I don't mean a mass e-mail, I mean a personal one. Such as hey- I know you are an AOII and not currently involved, would youl like to be? Would you like to meet for coffee?

Maybe try and match up people of similar ages-- almost like a "big sister" type of thing.

I know alot of people (myself included) who feel uncomfortable showing up for something (even a meet and greet) when they don't know anyone. Most people like to have a "wing-man" so to speak. So if they know someone will be looking for them, or if they have had personal contact first, then it might help get more people involved.

I know this idea would take lots of time, but it could grow like a pyramid- 5 people contact 5 people to get them involved, then you have 10 people who could contact 10 more, etc.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 04-13-2007, 08:35 AM
GreekChat Member

I think a personal contact might be a good idea - it's definitely a new route we haven't tried yet. I think that's definitely a great idea!!