GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,164
Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, ibtisamkhan
» Online Users: 1,114
4 members and 1,110 guests
John, LaneSig, Titchou, Xidelt

Old 12-03-2003, 04:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Arrow For All You Master Card Users. . .

Wal-Mart to Stop Taking MasterCard Debits
1 hour, 44 minutes ago Add U.S. National - Reuters to My Yahoo!

By Emily Kaiser

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (NYSE:WMT - news) said on Wednesday it would stop accepting MasterCard for certain debit-card transactions, the first major retailer to make such a move after a seven-year battle over fees.

Wal-Mart, the world's biggest company, said it will no longer accept MasterCard for debit-card transactions that require a signature, as of Feb. 1.

The move was seen as a blow to MasterCard, which is struggling with a market share one-fourth the size of Visa's in the signature-based debit area. Not only will MasterCard lose the business of Wal-Mart, but it could suffer further if other large retailers follow suit, analysts said.

"This is bad for the MasterCard brand image, unquestionably," said David Robertson, publisher of The Nilson Report, an industry newsletter.

Wal-Mart typically accounts for about four to five percent of MasterCard's signature-based debit transactions, Robertson estimated. He said that MasterCard will earn about $110 million in 2003 from all such transactions.

Robertson said some customers will suffer from the Wal-Mart move, because purchases that require a signature allow customers to rack up points or miles on rewards programs but those verified by a personal identification number do not.

PIN CUSHIONS

Wal-Mart said it would continue accepting MasterCard credit cards, and "most" customers could still use MasterCard debit cards if they punched in a personal identification number, or PIN. Fees are much lower with the PIN system.

Computer services company Unisys said 48 percent of consumers it surveyed prefer using a PIN instead of having to sign for purchases, and 36 percent prefer to sign.

Darrell Rigby, head of the retail practice at consulting firm Bain & Co., said the move was a strategic maneuver by Wal-Mart "to try to get MasterCard to lower their fees."

"Wal-Mart has demonstrated that when they get committed to a program like this, they can hold their breath for a long time," he said. "I think it is likely that MasterCard will end up having to give some concessions to make this work."

Wal-Mart spokeswoman Melissa Berryhill said the retailer "would certainly consider any proposal" from MasterCard to lower its transaction fees, but declined to comment on any discussions or negotiations with MasterCard.

In a statement, MasterCard said Wal-Mart was "putting its hand into its customers' wallets, and telling them which form of payment they must use."

The move comes after Wal-Mart and other retailers sued MasterCard and rival Visa in 1996, arguing that they used their market power to force merchants to accept their higher-cost, signature-verified debit cards.

In the suit, retailers argued that the fees on signature-verified debit cards cost retailers more than 10 times more per transaction than ones that require the customer to punch in a PIN.

Visa agreed to pay about $2 billion and MasterCard agreed to pay about $1 billion to settle the suit in late April.

The Wall Street Journal reported on Wednesday that Wal-Mart reached a deal to accept Visa signature debit-card transactions at a lower fee than Visa currently charges, but the new fees had not yet gone into effect.

Wal-Mart declined to comment on negotiations. (Additional reporting by Philip Klein in New York)
Old 12-03-2003, 06:19 PM
GreekChat Member

*happy Visa girl here!*

thanks for the information, CT4!

AKA
Old 12-03-2003, 11:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ykimber
I am too upset my debit card is Mastercard. I may have to cut back on my WalMart spending..................... No wait I can't do that WalMart is my second HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-04-2003, 05:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to #1 Leading Lady Send a message via Yahoo to #1 Leading Lady
Will this still apply if you use your debit card as credit? I ALWAYS use my debit card as a credit card transaction. Matter of fact one time the clerk pushed debit and I entered my PIN and got declined...she ran it through again as credit is it went through fine.....World only knows I tell you
Old 12-04-2003, 05:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by #1 Leading Lady
Will this still apply if you use your debit card as credit? I ALWAYS use my debit card as a credit card transaction. Matter of fact one time the clerk pushed debit and I entered my PIN and got declined...she ran it through again as credit is it went through fine.....World only knows I tell you
The way I read the article, you can use it if you put in your PIN but not if you have to sign. You can use a true MasterCard credit card but not your debit card for a "credit" transaction. Sorry!
Old 03-12-2004, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Always tryin to get over......I was too mad when I first got hit with the "Please enter your pin number." I just write checks now. I shop at Wally World toooooo much to be getting charged for every transaction.
Old 03-12-2004, 04:01 PM
GreekChat Member

(doing the Cabbage Patch)
Go VISA, Go VISA, Go VISA, Go VISA!
Old 03-13-2004, 12:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to 9dstpm
Quote:
Originally posted by SouthrnBelle
Always tryin to get over......I was too mad when I first got hit with the "Please enter your pin number." I just write checks now. I shop at Wally World toooooo much to be getting charged for every transaction.
Wally World is my place to shop too, esp. since we got that SuperCenter back in the summer. I just have to remember to deduct 50 cents when I use the card or remember to take out enough cash at my bank's ATM to do my shopping.
Old 01-01-2005, 11:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ykimber
Ok I am late again, But I just found out last month that I can use my Mastercard at WalMart. I quess the change went into effect back in June. I missed out on so much my last year of school!

Wal-Mart to allow Mastercard debit use

Wal-Mart customers can use Mastercard signature debit cards to make purchases for the first time since February when the world’s largest retailer suspended their usage in a disagreement over fees charged to merchants.

Wal-Mart Stores made the renewal announcement Monday, to be effective immediately.

Wal-Mart said in December that Mastercard’s fees were too high. The move made Wal-Mart the first major retailer to take such action since a lawsuit settlement freed merchants to pick which credit and debit card services to accept.

Wal-Mart will continue to accept all other forms of Mastercard payment, including credit, personal ID number debit and corporate cards, the company said.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: For All You Master Card Users. . .

I have a Mastercard and the interest rate on mine is just not competitive with American Express Blue. I think that we should all just apply for the Blue card and call it a day (3.99% on balance transfers, 7.99% apr)

SC

Quote:
Originally posted by CrimsonTide4
Wal-Mart to Stop Taking MasterCard Debits
1 hour, 44 minutes ago Add U.S. National - Reuters to My Yahoo!

By Emily Kaiser

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (NYSE:WMT - news) said on Wednesday it would stop accepting MasterCard for certain debit-card transactions, the first major retailer to make such a move after a seven-year battle over fees.

Wal-Mart, the world's biggest company, said it will no longer accept MasterCard for debit-card transactions that require a signature, as of Feb. 1.

The move was seen as a blow to MasterCard, which is struggling with a market share one-fourth the size of Visa's in the signature-based debit area. Not only will MasterCard lose the business of Wal-Mart, but it could suffer further if other large retailers follow suit, analysts said.

"This is bad for the MasterCard brand image, unquestionably," said David Robertson, publisher of The Nilson Report, an industry newsletter.

Wal-Mart typically accounts for about four to five percent of MasterCard's signature-based debit transactions, Robertson estimated. He said that MasterCard will earn about $110 million in 2003 from all such transactions.

Robertson said some customers will suffer from the Wal-Mart move, because purchases that require a signature allow customers to rack up points or miles on rewards programs but those verified by a personal identification number do not.

PIN CUSHIONS

Wal-Mart said it would continue accepting MasterCard credit cards, and "most" customers could still use MasterCard debit cards if they punched in a personal identification number, or PIN. Fees are much lower with the PIN system.

Computer services company Unisys said 48 percent of consumers it surveyed prefer using a PIN instead of having to sign for purchases, and 36 percent prefer to sign.

Darrell Rigby, head of the retail practice at consulting firm Bain & Co., said the move was a strategic maneuver by Wal-Mart "to try to get MasterCard to lower their fees."

"Wal-Mart has demonstrated that when they get committed to a program like this, they can hold their breath for a long time," he said. "I think it is likely that MasterCard will end up having to give some concessions to make this work."

Wal-Mart spokeswoman Melissa Berryhill said the retailer "would certainly consider any proposal" from MasterCard to lower its transaction fees, but declined to comment on any discussions or negotiations with MasterCard.

In a statement, MasterCard said Wal-Mart was "putting its hand into its customers' wallets, and telling them which form of payment they must use."

The move comes after Wal-Mart and other retailers sued MasterCard and rival Visa in 1996, arguing that they used their market power to force merchants to accept their higher-cost, signature-verified debit cards.

In the suit, retailers argued that the fees on signature-verified debit cards cost retailers more than 10 times more per transaction than ones that require the customer to punch in a PIN.

Visa agreed to pay about $2 billion and MasterCard agreed to pay about $1 billion to settle the suit in late April.

The Wall Street Journal reported on Wednesday that Wal-Mart reached a deal to accept Visa signature debit-card transactions at a lower fee than Visa currently charges, but the new fees had not yet gone into effect.

Wal-Mart declined to comment on negotiations. (Additional reporting by Philip Klein in New York)