GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,145
Threads: 115,589
Welcome to our newest member, lopezsae
» Online Users: 1,225
0 members and 1,225 guests
No Members online

Old 12-03-2008, 12:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Fall recruitment story yay!

So we have six sororities on my campus. Seeing as everyone else was sharing their inspiring recruitment stories, I will share mine too!

Our recruitment goes like this

Thursday: Info night. We just get a pamphlet with info about all the sororities.
Friday: Meet & greet. Go around to all the sororities and meet the sisters.
Saturday: Philanthropy day.
Sunday: Pref day.
Monday: Bid day.

Friday: we went around to all 6 sororities, and I came out loving sororities A, B, and C. Sororities D, E, and F did not catch my eye as much. I had to pick my favorite four so obviously I put A, B, and C. I had a hard time choosing between D and E; I knew F wasn't for me. I ended up choosing sorority D (after much debate).

Saturday: I was so excited that I was going to go back to my favorite sororities. I met with my rho gamma and was handed my schedule. I looked at it, and was confused when I saw that I was going to sororities C, D, E, and F. I asked her if there was a mistake, that I didn't pref E or F. She said that it was possible to get invited back to sororities you didn't pref if others didn't invite you back. Safe to say I was heartbroken. All the girls in A and B were so nice to me! I felt connected with them! Why didn't they invite me back?! I cried (of course) and was ready to drop then and there, until my rho gamma told me to hand in there, just in case, that I could find my home if I kept looking into the other sororities. So I went through my schedule. I had the best times at C and D, and put them in that order as my pref.

Sunday: I meet with my rho gammas again, still distraught from yesterday, but excited to go back to sororities C and D. I get my schedule and the first sorority I see is D! I look below it and the second sorority was...E? Once again I had not been invited back by the sorority I really liked, but I also liked D, so I was upset, but not heartbroken. First I went to E. I tried it out, tried to picture myself in the chapter, but I just couldn't. I didn't feel right in that setting. I move on to D. I felt like a puzzle being put into it's place. Finally I connected with someone, felt at home somewhere, and really enjoyed where I was. At the end of the night, we could either suicide or pref. both sororities. I chose D as my top sorority, and put E as my second. I knew if I suicided D, I wouldn't get a bid because that's just my luck.

Monday: Bid day. Girls all lined up ready to receive their bid cards. I patiently waited in line as girls came back screaming for joy, and others coming back saying "A didn't bid on me, B did." (I wished that A or B had bid on me at all!) Nonetheless, I was nervous. I really wanted this bid from D. I get handed my card (with my eyes closed of course) and I look down to see:

"The sisters of GAMMA PHI BETA would like to welcome you to be a new member in our chapter."

...I had finally found my home in sorority D (Gamma Phi!)

I now realize different reasons that I didn't belong in the other chapters, and I'm so glad I've found my home!

I love the crescent moon, shiny in the sky!
Old 12-03-2008, 12:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Shortest recruitment story ever.

@~/~~~~
Old 12-03-2008, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
Shortest recruitment story ever.
THANK GOD.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to WVU alpha phi
Quote:
Originally Posted by gphifoxAL View Post
So we have six sororities on my campus. Seeing as everyone else was sharing their inspiring recruitment stories, I will share mine too!

Our recruitment goes like this

Thursday: Info night. We just get a pamphlet with info about all the sororities.
Friday: Meet & greet. Go around to all the sororities and meet the sisters.
Saturday: Philanthropy day.
Sunday: Pref day.
Monday: Bid day.

Friday: we went around to all 6 sororities, and I came out loving sororities A, B, and C. Sororities D, E, and F did not catch my eye as much. I had to pick my favorite four so obviously I put A, B, and C. I had a hard time choosing between D and E; I knew F wasn't for me. I ended up choosing sorority D (after much debate).

Saturday: I was so excited that I was going to go back to my favorite sororities. I met with my rho gamma and was handed my schedule. I looked at it, and was confused when I saw that I was going to sororities C, D, E, and F. I asked her if there was a mistake, that I didn't pref E or F. She said that it was possible to get invited back to sororities you didn't pref if others didn't invite you back. Safe to say I was heartbroken. All the girls in A and B were so nice to me! I felt connected with them! Why didn't they invite me back?! I cried (of course) and was ready to drop then and there, until my rho gamma told me to hand in there, just in case, that I could find my home if I kept looking into the other sororities. So I went through my schedule. I had the best times at C and D, and put them in that order as my pref.

Sunday: I meet with my rho gammas again, still distraught from yesterday, but excited to go back to sororities C and D. I get my schedule and the first sorority I see is D! I look below it and the second sorority was...E? Once again I had not been invited back by the sorority I really liked, but I also liked D, so I was upset, but not heartbroken. First I went to E. I tried it out, tried to picture myself in the chapter, but I just couldn't. I didn't feel right in that setting. I move on to D. I felt like a puzzle being put into it's place. Finally I connected with someone, felt at home somewhere, and really enjoyed where I was. At the end of the night, we could either suicide or pref. both sororities. I chose D as my top sorority, and put E as my second. I knew if I suicided D, I wouldn't get a bid because that's just my luck.

Monday: Bid day. Girls all lined up ready to receive their bid cards. I patiently waited in line as girls came back screaming for joy, and others coming back saying "A didn't bid on me, B did." (I wished that A or B had bid on me at all!) Nonetheless, I was nervous. I really wanted this bid from D. I get handed my card (with my eyes closed of course) and I look down to see:

"The sisters of GAMMA PHI BETA would like to welcome you to be a new member in our chapter."

...I had finally found my home in sorority D (Gamma Phi!)

I now realize different reasons that I didn't belong in the other chapters, and I'm so glad I've found my home!

I love the crescent moon, shiny in the sky!
At the beginning of each day, why were you automatically assuming you'd get invited back to the sororities you put down?
Old 12-03-2008, 02:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations! I love a short recruitment story, especially one that has a Gamma Phi Beta ending!

Welcome to Gamma Phi Beta!!!!!!
Old 12-03-2008, 06:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVU alpha phi View Post
At the beginning of each day, why were you automatically assuming you'd get invited back to the sororities you put down?
As I see it, this is one of the problems with PNMs ranking each day after parties instead of receiving a list of invitations from which to accept. When a PNM ranks a chapter low, it is somewhat natural for them to feel like they have “released” that chapter. This is a process that is new to them and often it is not fully explained. We’ve all seen the posts from PNMs and new members whose recruitment counselors have insufficiently explained preference cards or pressured them into listing a chapter to which they would not accept a bid. If a recruitment counselor tells a PNM to list chapters at the bottom to which she would rather not return, it can come as quite a shock to be returning to those chapters the next day.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:51 PM
GreekChat Member

True, alot of times, the PNMs don't fully understand what they're doing. They sometimes think that ranking the groups = I get to go back to everywhere that I put down. That's not true. They don't often understand that there is a chance that they won't get the ones they put down or get invited to some groups that they didn't rank in their top 4 or whatever.

There's also the issue of Rho Chis not completely or correctly explaining it, and making it sound like "just write down who you want back and that's who you get" when that's not the case.

PNMs don't sometimes understand the "mutual" part of mutual selection and sometimes think they're just picking a sorority.

Lakers Nation.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post

PNMs don't sometimes understand the "mutual" part of mutual selection and sometimes think they're just picking a sorority.
Thats quite true, we have deferred rush on my campus, and I do see PNMs who act as if they're the ones in control because of the very small portion of greek life they've seen first semester. At a meet the greeks event, one PNM said to me, "Thanks for being so nice and showing me pictures and stuff, but don't waste your time, I'm going to be an ABC". And there was the girl who said to me, "But you're so blonde, why didn't you pick XYZ?" Often no one ever tells them otherwise, and they end up receiving quite a rude awakening once they get their first invites back.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Welcome to our sisterhood!