GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,172
Threads: 115,577
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,587
3 members and 1,584 guests
John, Phrozen Sands

Old 05-23-2010, 08:34 PM
GreekChat Member

ASU (Arizona State) Fall Recruitment 2010 - HELP??

Hello all,

I am looking for some advice. I am 22 and will be starting at ASU this fall. I am actually going to be attending online courses over the summer and then will actually be attending school in the fall.

I am VERY interested in joining a sorority. I am the first in my family to go to college so I don't have any female family who has gone through the process. I know some schools are extremely competitive...I was just wondering if someone could maybe comment on some things I was concerned about, especially as it might relate to me rushing at ASU:

- My age (22)
- I was accepted as a transfer student, however, I will most likely be considered a freshman because I only had five classes be accepted towards my degree program (nursing)
- My transfer GPA is a 3.1 - however, the courses that I am transferring are from a Comm College in my home state of Washington that I earned during a dual college-while-in-high-school program. If I do well in my summer courses, since those are more recent, will it help my chances?
- Tempe is the main campus, however, I will be attending the downtown Phoenix campus because that is where my degree program is centered. Will I be at a disadvantage?
- Last but definitely NOT least: I am married. My husband and I are both going to be going to college, he is 26. We live in an apartment. I want to join a sorority very badly, and my husband is supportive of the time and financial obligations. We have no children, and we have never been married before. I'm hoping that this will not ruin my chances.

I will be at ASU for 4 full years so hopefully I will get to fulfill my dream Thanks in advance to anyone who can help. Also - Recs @ ASU, are they necessary?

Last edited by blndsndvl; 05-23-2010 at 08:37 PM. Reason: added more
Old 05-23-2010, 08:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blndsndvl View Post
Hello all,

I am looking for some advice. I am 22 and will be starting at ASU this fall. I am actually going to be attending online courses over the summer and then will actually be attending school in the fall.

I am VERY interested in joining a sorority. I am the first in my family to go to college so I don't have any female family who has gone through the process. I know some schools are extremely competitive...I was just wondering if someone could maybe comment on some things I was concerned about, especially as it might relate to me rushing at ASU:

- My age (22)
- I was accepted as a transfer student, however, I will most likely be considered a freshman because I only had five classes be accepted towards my degree program (nursing)
- My transfer GPA is a 3.1 - however, the courses that I am transferring are from a Comm College in my home state of Washington that I earned during a dual college-while-in-high-school program. If I do well in my summer courses, since those are more recent, will it help my chances?
- Tempe is the main campus, however, I will be attending the downtown Phoenix campus because that is where my degree program is centered. Will I be at a disadvantage?
- Last but definitely NOT least: I am married. My husband and I are both going to be going to college, he is 26. We live in an apartment. I want to join a sorority very badly, and my husband is supportive of the time and financial obligations. We have no children, and we have never been married before. I'm hoping that this will not ruin my chances.

I will be at ASU for 4 full years so hopefully I will get to fulfill my dream Thanks in advance to anyone who can help. Also - Recs @ ASU, are they necessary?
Some general things:
In your favor - having 4 years there, having a good GPA, being dedicated.
Against you - It depends on ASU's campus culture, but being older and married would work against you. It is possible your campus location would, but as long as you can attend all recruitment events it's probably fine.

Something to think about, do you want to hang around with a bunch of women who are up to four years younger than you? When you're 26 will you still want to?

Hopefully someone from ASU can give you some more specific answers.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I can't imagine being married in a sorority.... I mean, the whole purpose of mixers and exchanges is to of course have fun with your sisters but I've also found it helps you meet more fraternity men. Do you really want that??
Old 05-23-2010, 09:00 PM
GreekChat Member

paging ASUADPi!
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 05-23-2010, 09:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbt1990 View Post
I can't imagine being married in a sorority.... I mean, the whole purpose of mixers and exchanges is to of course have fun with your sisters but I've also found it helps you meet more fraternity men. Do you really want that??
I disagree. I was in a relationship throughout college with a guy who was neither in a fraternity nor in town. It didn't interfere with my enjoyment of sorority events. (My lack of drinking was probably more of a deterrent.)

If you use mixers/formals as dating tools, great. But they're not required to work that way.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I am unfamiliar with the structure of ASU, so I am wondering if the OP even eligible for recruitment, as she will not be at the main Tempe campus, but the Phoenix one.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post
I am unfamiliar with the structure of ASU, so I am wondering if the OP even eligible for recruitment, as she will not be at the main Tempe campus, but the Phoenix one.
It says on the ASU website that people from any campus can join Greek life. Whether this actually is the case in practice, however, is another story.

http://www.asu.edu/studentaffairs/mu...ecruitment.htm
Old 05-23-2010, 10:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I go to the UofA but have many friends who are in sororities at ASU since I am from Phoenix so I will tell you what I know.

ASU recruitment is competitive but not as crazy as the UofA or other ultra competitive schools. I think almost everyone who has an open mind and gets through to preference gets a bid. BUT .......... and this is a big BUT! In spite of the more chill attitude about recruitment, sorority life is still really traditional in that it is very on campus focused and made up of young unmarried girls. Your age, being married and not going to school at the main campus or living there are big negative points. I don't think many if any of the chapters there are going to consider someone in your position. I know that's something you don't want to hear, but if you decide to go through recruitment then you need to be prepared for it.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:09 PM
GreekChat Member

One other thing about recommendations. They aren't that necessary there but seem to be becoming more important especially with some chapters. So especially in your position I would try to get one for each chapter.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:34 AM
GreekChat Member

attending downtown campus is going to be a bit challenging. with all the events and meetings going on you'll find yourself on the Light Rail alot. its not impossible, a few of my brothers attend downtown--some nursing majors as well--and still manage to come to Tempe campus. but keep in mind you're going to be very very busy.

Did you know if you watch jaws backwards, its a movie about a shark that throws up so many people that they have to build a beach?
Old 05-24-2010, 09:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blndsndvl View Post
Hello all,

- My age (22)

I do volunteer work at ASU and here is what I can advise to you.
-Your age will be a hurdle. It is something my group will look at. Our feelings have always been that it is a little more challenging to be 22 when most of your New Member Class will be 18. Having said that, we have extended bids to Juniors in the past who were outstanding.

-Honestly we look at birth date more then year in school because we have no way of knowing how much more time you have unless you tell us.

-If you have more then 12 college credits ASU will take the grades from those and that is the GPA we will see. If it is less then 12 they will give us your high school grades. I think you'll be ok. Heck, sometimes we don't even get GPA's!

-being downtown wont hurt you at all. Nursing is a HUGE program at ASU and a lot of women go back and forth. I think it would be more of a challenge if your in a dorm downtown, but there are sorority women who are doing it now and using light rail to get back and forth.

-I think with the marriage thing it is just going to depend on the Chapter. We wont receive any documentation that your married so you would have to tell some one or they would see your wedding ring.

-recs are helpful for the sole reason we usually receive a picture and more information about you then what Panhellenic gives us. You don't need to have them and it wont hurt you not to have them.

If you really want to go through recruitment I would do it with no expectations and an open mind. Good luck to you. It will be tough, but it might not be impossible. I hope this has helped.

Last edited by AXOrushadvisor; 05-24-2010 at 02:33 PM. Reason: one more question to answer