Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,134
1 members and 1,133 guests
No Members online

Old 10-03-2002, 10:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Random Shooting in Montgomery County

Sorhors, Sisterfriend and folks,

Did you all hear about the 5 random killings in Montgomery County, MD between Wednesday, Oct 2, 2002 and Thursday, Oct 3, 2002. What is going on with folks in America? I hope that the catch the individual(s) really soon!

Serioussigma22
Old 10-04-2002, 02:53 AM
Super Moderator

Exclamation

Please fill me in soror. I've been spending my nights @ school so I miss the late news.

NP.
Old 10-04-2002, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

PRAY

All I can do is say that this is really too close to home. My family lives in Montgomery County. When I found out I was shaken and it was hard for me to function in a human services agency, where YOU always have to be in check before you can help someone else. Especially, since I had a similar dream that something like this was going to happen not to long ago.

I hope no one takes offense to this because its not meant to offend anyone. However we are a christian based organization. To all believers, I would ask you all to include this on your prayer list tonite. Pray for those harmed, families left behind, and the protection of the next, if any, targets.
Old 10-04-2002, 02:55 PM
GreekChat Member

NinjaPoodle: I found this article on Yahoo. Hope it helps!

Sniper Sought in Md. Shootings
Fri Oct 4, 1:07 PM ET
By STEPHEN MANNING, Associated Press Writer

SILVER SPRING, Md. (AP) - Scores of law enforcement officers searched suburban Maryland on Friday for a sniper they believe randomly targeted five people, killing each with a single shot. Investigators were also trying to determine if another fatal shooting, in nearby Washington, was related.

Tests on the bullets and wounds indicated all five Maryland victims were hit from a distance, likely with .223-caliber bullets from an assault or hunting rifle, Montgomery County Police Chief Charles Moose said.

The Washington victim, a 72-year-old pedestrian, was shot once in the chest Thursday night as he stood at a street corner. It wasn't immediately clear if the deaths were related.

Washington police spokesman Sgt. Joe Gentile said "there is nothing at this point to indicate a connection. However, obviously we will take a close, hard look as to whether they are related."

The FBI ( news - web sites), meanwhile, was expected to provide investigators with a profile of the shooter, or shooters, by the end of the day, Moose said.

Schools opened Friday with extra patrols and calls poured into 911 dispatchers about loud noises.

"People are on edge," Moose said. "We're all human. We're all afraid."

There were no known witnesses to the shootings even though they happened in daylight in public places. All the Montgomery County victims died within five miles of one another during a 16-hour span Wednesday night and Thursday.

At a gas station, a taxi driver slumped, bleeding, onto a minivan. A landscaper mowing the lawn at a car dealership stumbled and fell. A woman at a post office collapsed on a bench. Another victim was vacuuming out her vehicle, and the fifth was in a parking lot.

Moose said the slayings had not definitely been linked but it was a strong possibility. None of the victims appeared to have been robbed, and police said race did not appear to be a motive. The victims were Hispanic and white; one was a native of India.

"There's still no information to lead us to think our victims are associated," Moose said. "They don't appear to be anyone's enemies, just random targets."

Friday morning, police searched for white trucks and vans in the area after reports that a white box truck was seen speeding away from one of the scenes. It was unclear whether the shots were fired from a vehicle or at what range. No stolen vehicles were reported, police said.

"We do have someone that so far has been very accurate in what they are attempting to do, and so we probably have a skilled shooter," Moose said.

Gov. Parris Glendening committed 140 state troopers, a helicopter and whatever additional aid is needed, a spokesman said. The FBI, Secret Service, and ATF also were involved.

Officers were following more than 150 leads, Moose said, and they collected security camera videos from businesses near the shooting scenes, including two grocery stores. He said authorities were reviewing a surveillance tape from one of the scenes, declining to release details except to say "it has been helpful."

Authorities also set up a tip hot line and offered a reward of up to $50,000 for information leading to the arrest and indictment of the suspect or suspects.

The killings began Wednesday evening. Around 6 p.m., James D. Martin, 55, of Silver Spring, a program analyst for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, was shot in the parking lot of a Wheaton grocery store.

Around 7:45 a.m. Thursday, James L. "Sonny" Buchanan, 39, of Arlington, Va., was killed while cutting grass at a car dealership in the White Flint area. He stumbled toward the building before collapsing as dozens of employees ran toward him.

"I just put my hand on his shoulder and said, 'Help is on the way,'" service director Al Briggs told The Washington Post. "But he was already gone."

Prenkumar Walekar, 54, of Olney was shot about 8:15 a.m., while pumping gas into his cab at a station in the Aspen Hill area.

About a half-hour later, Sarah Ramos, 34, of Silver Spring died at a post office next to a retirement community in Silver Spring.

Dolores Wallgren said she saw Ramos slumped over on a bench, bleeding from the head, when she arrived to go to a beauty shop nearby.

"She was sitting on the bench, just sitting there," Wallgren said.

In the fifth shooting, Lori Ann Lewis-Rivera, 25, of Silver Spring was killed about 10 a.m. at a gas station in Kensington. Mechanics said they heard the shot but didn't see who shot Lewis-Rivera, who was vacuuming her van.

The man killed in northwest Washington was identified as Pascal Charlot, 72.

Schools were open Friday, but Carin Saez, 27, retrieved her 12-year-old niece, Kiarra Middleton, less than an hour into the school day after deciding it was too dangerous for her to be there. She didn't plan to let her own children return until the killer was caught.

"I was petrified to even go to the store last night," Saez said. "My kids were scared. They didn't even want to go outside. They're more scared now than on September 11."

The five killings brought the number of homicides in Montgomery County to 25 this year, the most since 1997.

soulfulremix

AKA
Old 10-05-2002, 05:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Angry

This person is still out there doing very deviant things! The police in D.C. believe that he shot and killed a 72 year old man going into a building on Thursday, October 3, 2002 and they now believe that he shot, but didn't kill a woman in Fredricksburg, Va on Friday, October 4, 2002 in front of a Michael's store. I'm praying really hard that they catch this person.

Serioussigma22
Old 10-08-2002, 02:08 AM
Super Moderator

Thank you Soulfulremix.

It's insane what is happening to our society. I wonder how much longer we (the United States of America) will last before anarchy sets in??
Old 10-08-2002, 12:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

It started in Montgomery County but yesterday, a 13-year old boy was shot while walking to school in Prince Georges County. He is in serious condition. While I don't have all of the facts, the police are considering it to be the work of the same sniper.

I am sad and very angry because the P.G. County school system is on lockdown. Every door is locked, elementary schools have no recess, helicopters are flying overhead. We have no after-school activities, football games have been postponed, and some children are not coming to school at all. It is hard to maintain a sense of normalcy in everyday life. Yesterday I stopped by my children's school to drop something off and I was treated like a stranger! I had on my school i.d. and they know me!

I know it is best to be more cautious but if we disrupt our everyday lives, then he (or they) have won -- which is to instill fear in our hearts to just live our lives!

Last edited by BlueReign; 10-08-2002 at 12:34 PM.
Old 10-08-2002, 10:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorhor Bluereign,

Fairfax County Public School System also cancelled all outside activities for the rest of the week because everyone is very afraid of this sniper. Even though they have a lot of leads about the sniper they really don't have a concrete clue about this person.

Serioussigma22
Old 10-08-2002, 11:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to DZTUBAGIRL Send a message via AIM to DZTUBAGIRL Send a message via Yahoo to DZTUBAGIRL
This is way too close to home!!! I am from Anne Arundel Co and I live like 15 min from the school that the boy got shot at. This is really scary because my brother goes to elementary school and it could have been him. I am in Kentucky at school and I told my mom I want them to move here right now. I know we can't just run away from it but I don't know what else we can do. I definately don't want to go home on christmas break this year.

Anne Marie
Old 10-09-2002, 12:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DZTUBAGIRL
This is way too close to home!!! I am from Anne Arundel Co and I live like 15 min from the school that the boy got shot at. This is really scary because my brother goes to elementary school and it could have been him. I am in Kentucky at school and I told my mom I want them to move here right now. I know we can't just run away from it but I don't know what else we can do. I definately don't want to go home on christmas break this year.

Anne Marie
This is such a tragedy. The little boy's mother had just dropped him off and she saw the whole thing! It just makes you wonder what's going to happend next. I personally, believe it's another form of terrorism. Don't let this heartless individual stop you from going home and spending christmas break with your family.

"Bound by ties of love and Sisterhood"
Old 10-09-2002, 10:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Girl, the whole thing is a hot mess, but don't let that keep you from home. Ok, so if they move to Kentucky and something happens there, are you going to move again? I mean, you can't run from terrorism. Its everywhere and no place is immune. I think what we need to take fro this is that we need to NOT be so arrogant in our vision of safety. As Americans, we have always thought as ourselves as invincible, nobody would dare try to come over here and try to attack us, but they did and they will continue to do so. But we also have to remember people HERE in THIS country have beef with this country, so there is no escaping it or trying to move somewhere else, because we can't. I mean, Timothy McVegh blew up a building in Oklahoma, I bet they thought that was a safe area. The real crazies like that are in more...countryish areas, like the Waco event, and others, so, not to be funny AT ALL, but Kentucky isn't immune to violence or terrorism We just have to be more aware of these things and take precautions, but not to the extent that they are here with the lock down. I have to do a practicum in a school that is down the street from Benjamin Tasker (not to mention Bowie State is down the street) and they couldn't go outside, they even kept our kindergarten classes in the classroom for lunch. I had to ring the bell to get in. But I think that especially since the latest victim is a kid, they're even more worried, even though the sniper can still get to them when they're on the way home if he wanted to, so changing our lives isn't the best solution, it just gives the sniper power. But I think we are still in shock that things like this can happen in this country, we're not as invincible as we'd like to believe. This world is full of evil people, so we just have to keep the faith and pray for safety, understanding, and forgiveness for such violence.
Old 10-09-2002, 06:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey folks,

The Washington Post reported that the sniper left a message for the police. He stated, "I am god"... and he left the death tarot card for them at the last shooting site (the school in PG. County)!
God please let them get this guy of the street.

Serioussigma22
Old 10-12-2002, 11:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Well Folks,

The sniper is still out there and still killing folks, his latest victim was a 53 year old African American businessman from Phila, Pa. and they are now searching for a white astrovan wiitha utilities ladder attached to the top and they also know that he has a female driver.

Serioussigma22

It is really ashame that noone has gotten his license plate number or a better look this individual.
Old 10-12-2002, 07:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I know this is so sad. SoRHOrs and Sisterfriends in DC,MD and VA area be careful!!

"Bound by ties of love and Sisterhood"
Old 10-12-2002, 08:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorhor Kizzie22,

Thanks for the advise! The really sad thing about this situation is that everyone in the Greater Washington Metro area have no ideal what to really look out for or how to really protect ourselves against this sick person or persons.

Serioussigma22