Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, BillWitt27
» Online Users: 1,195
0 members and 1,195 guests
No Members online

Old 01-06-2009, 12:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Burris Denied

WASHINGTON – Roland Burris announced Tuesday he was rejected for Barack Obama's Senate seat, in a bizarre rainy-day scene on the Capitol grounds as lawmakers awaited the gaveling of the 111th Congress into session.

Standing amid a huge throng of reporters and television cameras in a cold and steady rain, Burris, 71, declared that he had been informed that "my credentials are not in order and will not be accepted."

The former Illinois attorney general said he was "not seeking to have any type of confrontation" over taking the seat that he was appointed to by embattled Gov. Rod Blagojevich. But Burris also said he was looking at options for taking the seat.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090106/.../senate_burris
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”
Old 01-06-2009, 01:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Honestly? I think this guy and Blago are both tools.

It's not possible that he could have honestly expected to get in with no problem. Worst part is that he's consistently making Illinois look bad.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphagamzetagam View Post
Honestly? I think this guy and Blago are both tools.

It's not possible that he could have honestly expected to get in with no problem. Worst part is that he's consistently making Illinois look bad.
which one? Burris or Blago?
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”
Old 01-06-2009, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Well Burris is lying when he says he expected there would be no problems.

And yes, he's making Illinois look bad. The comment about not knowing the Secretary of State has veto power (which I think Jesse White did us a service by not signing the paperwork) makes the entire state government look like a bunch of bumbling idiots.

And Blago, well, let's be really honest here - he's the most recent in a long line of corrupt governors. I wonder what his whole mess is going to do for Chicago's bid for the Olympics in 2016?
Old 01-06-2009, 04:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Burris is an idiot. He knew ahead of time that he would not be seated if he showed, but he chose to do so anyway. I'm grateful that I don't live in Illinois; how embarrassing!

We're the girls who wear the pearls
You can't beat those sexy squirrels!

Old 01-06-2009, 05:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
I mean . . . good?
Old 01-06-2009, 06:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
Burris, who says his appointment is ordained by the lord????

But you know what? The voters of Illinois aren't acting, and Blagojevich is still the governor because of that. I'm seeing typical Illinois politics as usual, and the voters are complicit.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:46 PM
GreekChat Member

ABC News tonight said he couldn't be seated because the Secretary of State of Illinois would not sign his certificate. Was this on purpose?

Old 01-06-2009, 11:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ΑΓΔSquirrel10 View Post
. I'm grateful that I don't live in Illinois; how embarrassing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGTess View Post

The voters of Illinois aren't acting, and Blagojevich is still the governor because of that. I'm seeing typical Illinois politics as usual, and the voters are complicit.
How do you know Illinois voters aren't acting on this? Would it go down differently where you are located?
Old 01-06-2009, 11:24 PM
GreekChat Member

It's hard to act when there's no real process in place for removal of elected officials.

I mean, didn't Illinois voters vote for that process to be made this year? I voted for it, at least.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:15 AM
GreekChat Member

This whole mess makes my eyelashes have goose pimples...

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 01-07-2009, 04:31 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
Did he really think that he was going to get seated? Btw, did Franken get seated?
Old 01-07-2009, 07:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe.ron View Post
Did he really think that he was going to get seated? Btw, did Franken get seated?
No, Franken also was not seated.

I feel for Illinois as they are stuck right now, similar to how Detroit was stuck with a mayor who committed felonies. They only have one way to appoint someone for that senate seat and the person who can do that is still in office. So, whether right or wrong ethically, legally, it seems like they should have to go with Burris because he was appointed in the manor that is stated in their state constitution. There's no real way to resolve this unless Blago resigns, is there?
Old 01-07-2009, 10:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGTess View Post
But you know what? The voters of Illinois aren't acting, and Blagojevich is still the governor because of that. I'm seeing typical Illinois politics as usual, and the voters are complicit.
Exactly what are the voters of Illinois supposed to be doing? Or what can they do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetagirl218 View Post
ABC News tonight said he couldn't be seated because the Secretary of State of Illinois would not sign his certificate. Was this on purpose?
Right. As I understand it, because of the controversy surrounding the Lego-man governor, the Secretary of State refused to sign and seal the appointment. (And from what I've read, the Secretary of State may be on shaky legal ground at best in refusing to sign and seal the appointment.) The Senate will not recognize an appointment unless it is signed by the Governor and Secretary of State and it is sealed. Since Burris's was only signed by the Governor, it wasn't sufficient for the Senate.

Last edited by MysticCat; 01-07-2009 at 10:48 AM.