GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,591
1 members and 1,590 guests
Xidelt

Old 07-14-2006, 07:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Ole Miss Kappa Sigma Charter Revoked (Appeal Possible)

According to a news report, Kappa Sigma has voted to revoke the charter of its chapter at Ole Miss. An appeal is possible.
Brief excerpts from the longer article are below. The whole article is at

http://www.djournal.com/pages/story....pub=1&div=News

The Kappa Sigma Supreme Executive Committee voted July 6 to revoked the chapter's charter because of a 2005 incident involving alcohol. Mitchell B. Wilson, the national executive director, said the chapter was sanctioned in 2004, and when the probation was violated, they had no choice but to pull the charter.

"The Ole Miss chapter of Kappa Sig was put on probation in 2004 because of an incident where an individual had alcohol at a rush event," explained Wilson. "The incident that lead to the charter's closing actually happened in the spring of 2005. We learned that during that time they had an event where alcohol was present, which clearly violated the probation."

. . . Sparky Reardon, Ole Miss dean of students, said because the chapter's suspension wasn't done by the university, he didn't have any comment and directed all questions to the national office.

. . . The chapter has 30 days to appeal the decision. If the decision is not overturned, the chapter could be off campus two or three years.
Old 07-15-2006, 01:49 PM
GreekChat Member

When do Chapters ever learn?

It may be fun at the time, but OOPs there goes the Charter. They have time to appeal, but when their HQ pulled it without any help from the school, I see little kindness from HQ!

Live and learn?

So, who is the real loser here?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 07-17-2006, 03:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Even if by some miracle a chapter were to win its appeal, they'd be labeled as trouble and therefore be under a microscope from then on. Since it seems many chapters don't learn from past mistakes it makes it only a matter of time until another reason to shut down the chapter takes place.
Univ. of Texas at El Paso (UTEP)
Old 07-17-2006, 05:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Bro. I think that is called stupidity on a chapters front door!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 07-18-2006, 06:44 PM
GreekChat Member

We got an e-mail from Nationals about this very thing. All I can say is, be careful what you post on the internet.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Alcohol at a rush event! Oh my GOD! Somebody could get...drunk!
Old 07-18-2006, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator

I'm sure that there is significant back-story to this which we aren't going to get here. I just can't see someone getting their charter pulled for alcohol at a rush event.

At the end of the day, it's still illegal, and once HQ knows about it, the insurance companies probably would expect some action. It's too bad that in this day, our decisions are often based upon liability or potential liability, but I guess we've put ourselves in that position.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 07-19-2006, 05:39 PM
GreekChat Member

The chapter was probably in trouble more than once in the past. Once you're on probation it just takes one violation to get you tossed.
Univ. of Texas at El Paso (UTEP)
Old 07-19-2006, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Maybe its just me, but I would never pledge a fraternity that didn't have alcohol at a rush event.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinerbock
Maybe its just me, but I would never pledge a fraternity that didn't have alcohol at a rush event.
The one and only rule for guys rush at my school was NO ALCOHOL. The last day of their rush were bid day parties (aka 5:01s because the ban ended at 5:00 that friday) I thought that was kind of a standard, is this not the case?
Old 07-19-2006, 06:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, we don't have alcohol during "formal rush" which is usually a 3 day period right before people get pinned. However, nobody really bids during formal rush. Real rush begins in June, and alcohol is at everything, be it beach parties, parties in various cities around the south, band parties once school starts, etc. The only events that are dry are potentially dangerous ones (daytime activities on the lake, skeet shooting, etc).
Old 07-19-2006, 09:25 PM
GreekChat Member

^Yeah, formal rush pretty much means nothing. All of our huge rush events are during the summer, whether it be trips to New Orleans, huge barbecues, all day band parties, etc. In fact, the FIJIs down here are having their Island party this weekend, huge rush event.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macallan25
^Yeah, formal rush pretty much means nothing. All of our huge rush events are during the summer, whether it be trips to New Orleans, huge barbecues, all day band parties, etc. In fact, the FIJIs down here are having their Island party this weekend, huge rush event.

Depends on the School and HQ rulings though doesnt it?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 07-21-2006, 08:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I mean, I guess it could depend on the school. But I haven't ever visited one where the forbade giving out bids during the summer. Hell, I had some friends get their pins right after hs graduation ceremony was over.
Old 07-22-2006, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macallan25
I mean, I guess it could depend on the school. But I haven't ever visited one where the forbade giving out bids during the summer. Hell, I had some friends get their pins right after hs graduation ceremony was over.
The Sigma Chi's on our campus are the only ones with a house. They would hold parties during the orientation weekends for freshmen. A lot of the freshmen (guys and girls) would go to the parties instead of waking up in the morning and attending the informational things. They really got busted big time for it because it broke the school's rush rules. (The house is off campus so the only other thing they could do is bust them for alcohol.) As for the rest of the fraternities, the majority of them aren't around over the summer so there's not anyone there to rush guys.

This may just be the difference between a city school and a college town school though.

/Not ripping on the Sigma X's it's just obvious what house I'd be talking about if anyone wanted to look.