GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek History
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek History Fraternity and Sorority historical discussions. Chat about all topics related to Greek history here.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,200
Threads: 115,575
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,119
2 members and 1,117 guests
Cookiez17, John

Old 02-05-2020, 09:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Paddles "Traditional size" vs. current.

Sometimes it is really confusing when I hear about Paddles being decorated, and what they are talking about is no more than 18 inches long, 6 inches wide and so covered in additional wood cutouts that you'd be nuts to use it for "swinging"...

When did the new size and type (heavily decorated) come into more standard use?
Old 02-05-2020, 10:05 AM
GreekChat Member

The size that you describe is what we were using in the early 80s. They were gifts given from Littles to their Bigs. We never used them to actually paddle anyone. It was just a keepsake.
Old 02-05-2020, 02:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes I've been seeing these for quite some times with the decorations. There are loads of pintrest pages dedicated to sharing differing styles, and methods of decoration. Some of them are super creative.
Old 02-05-2020, 05:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekOne View Post
The size that you describe is what we were using in the early 80s. They were gifts given from Littles to their Bigs. We never used them to actually paddle anyone. It was just a keepsake.
So this leads to two questions...
1) Did the Sororities ever use the "traditional" 2+ foot long "paddling size" paddles
2) If the Sororities did, when did they go away?

Basically, at this point I'm trying to connect the Fraternity 2+ foot long paddles used until the early 1960s with the Sorority "Decoration" paddles of the 1980s.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I pledged in 1963 and have only seen the decorated paddles in my NpC group
Old 02-05-2020, 09:32 PM
GreekChat Member

We used small paddles as a gift to our Bigs.

The large paddle was used for a pledge mom. Each semester, the PC would work together to decorate a large paddle as a gift to the PM at the end of the semester.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
1) Did the Sororities ever use the "traditional" 2+ foot long "paddling size" paddles

Basically, at this point I'm trying to connect the Fraternity 2+ foot long paddles used until the early 1960s with the Sorority "Decoration" paddles of the 1980s.
At Northwestern University (IL) in the early 90s sorority house windows still featured many 2+ foot long paddles, usually in a crossed-paddles pattern like the letter 'X', two to each window, in house after house.

I can also state my Dad's local greek fraternity during the early 1950's created carved signature paddles for each member that were only sixteen inches long; don't know what size paddles other frats on his campus used.

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Our chapter did not have a house. So, therefore not adequate storage for large size paddles as decoration. I know the fraternities on our campus did have the larger paddles on display representing each pledge class hanging throughout the house. So, perhaps it's not an issue of era as much as it is an issue of places to display larger paddles. Today, our chapters aren't permitted to use any paddles for decoration or otherwise, considered as symbols of hazing, but then they were just a symbol of Greek tradition.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I did a Google search for "vintage sorority paddle". Lots of pictures turn up for those 2ft long paddles for NPCs. The general date range appears to be for the 1950s, '60s and '70s. There were a couple paddles that came up that were dated for the 1980s. So, just from that perspective, one could speculate that they began to fall out of favor in the 1980s. I went to college in the mid to late '90s and decorated paddles were the "thing" in my area.

True and Constant
Old 02-08-2020, 02:05 AM
GreekChat Member

My chapter did not use manufactured paddles. We made our own by hand and they varied in size. They were unique and a lot of thought went into making them.

LOL. One of my pledge brothers used a "wooden paint stirrer" to make his paddle for fear of getting "whacked" with it (by his Big) on initiation night.
Old 02-08-2020, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKT4LIFE View Post
LOL. One of my pledge brothers used a "wooden paint stirrer" to make his paddle for fear of getting "whacked" with it (by his Big) on initiation night.

Hahahahahaha!!!!

True and Constant
Old 02-10-2020, 06:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKT4LIFE View Post
My chapter did not use manufactured paddles. We made our own by hand and they varied in size. They were unique and a lot of thought went into making them.

Could have been worse. He could have gone the other way and deliberately chosen a paddle with holes in it that hurts *worse* than a solid paddle.
Old 02-10-2020, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Can people post photos of what they're talking about? I'm having a hard time following.
Old 02-10-2020, 02:40 PM
GreekChat Member

I have yet to master trying to put in a photo with my post, but if you go to etsy and then search sorority paddle custom you'll see different examples and photos from various GLOs.

I personally don't have a paddle from my org but I love the creativity that people put into it.
Old 02-10-2020, 11:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen's Revenge View Post
Can people post photos of what they're talking about? I'm having a hard time following.

Sure!

Vintage paddle

Decorated wood paddle

Modern decorated paddles. These highly-embellished paddles seemed to have come into play around 2010 or so.

True and Constant