GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,187
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο

Old 07-25-2007, 08:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LikeASista
Needing some encouragement ...

Hi, Sorors and Sisterfriends! I've been really busy this week going through the New Teacher Induction workshop thingy for the public school system here in my city. I'm a brand new teacher (Choral Director, actually), and while I'm excited about being in the classroom, I'm really nervous about the coming year.

Anybody have any useful advice for me? I could use some well wishes and some inspiring words.
#1 - Spring 2000

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them." - Mother Teresa
Old 07-25-2007, 08:07 PM
GreekChat Member

I love music and I'm guessing you do too. I love to listen to gospel. Listen to Encourage Yourself by Donald Lawrence

You will be a great choral director and God put you in that position because he knew you would do well.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Remember that the FIRST day of school sets the tone for the rest of the year. I'm guessing the class will be an elective and if so, some kids don't take it seriously. But if you do, they will.

And, have fun! The pressures of the job can sometimes be overwhelming but sometimes, there's that one student or that one colleague that can really help lighten things up.

I Stay Woke!!
Old 07-25-2007, 11:36 PM
GreekChat Member

The First Day of School by Harry Wong!

It's your class. As the semester progresses, relinquish the reigns some.

You'll do well. You're blessed. We don't have too many choir directors anymore. Ever considered a position at a university?

Welcome to the world of the underpaid and those taken for granted!
Old 07-26-2007, 12:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Your nervousness is just anxiety and once you start thinking positive you will be much more relaxed. I know you are probably thinking that is easier said than done but you are put in situations to overcome them. Everything is not easy at first but once u start you will become much more calm about everything. Just remember everything happens for a reason and at this point in your life this is just a stepping stone for you. Dont worry too much and always remember that a person can do anything that they really, really want. The butterflies will go away and when they do you will be amazing at anything you want to do.

**Let God be your strength**
Old 07-26-2007, 11:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Welcome to the wonderful world of Education! I've been teaching since 1999, and I absolutely LOVE what I do. Remember that teaching is more than sharing information, it's about building character in our future leaders.

Day one sets the tone for the remainder of the year. The first day stand with confidence, be stern, respectful, and caring. Once your students see that you take your job seriously - it's not just a paycheck, and you care about their overall well-being they'll respect you.

The first couple of weeks of school is about building a rapport. Think about how you would feel if you were in their seats and what you want to see happen in class.

Everything that you need to be successful is already IN you! Enjoy!
#12 Lost-N-Found
Fairfax County Alumnae Chapter
DSQ
Old 07-26-2007, 05:04 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to nonchalant
Girl, you got this in the bag. You're an Alpha woman. Lead the way for these children.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeASista View Post
Hi, Sorors and Sisterfriends! I've been really busy this week going through the New Teacher Induction workshop thingy for the public school system here in my city. I'm a brand new teacher (Choral Director, actually), and while I'm excited about being in the classroom, I'm really nervous about the coming year.

Anybody have any useful advice for me? I could use some well wishes and some inspiring words.
Congratulations Sista! I think you have enough in you to inspire yourself! But anyway, here are some words:

You are a "choral director". I don't know about your school system but I know here that they are pretty hard to find, especially a good one! Please know that if you are really, really good you will easily be everyone's favorite teacher because music is one way to reach and motivate our children.

ALWAYS keep in mind that even if you don't stay in the field of education, just to be able to say that you have taught and worked with children in the public school system is an admirable thing that will always look good on your resume.

I don't want nobody to give me nothin. Open up a door, I'll get it myself!! (The late, great James Brown)
Old 07-27-2007, 01:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Wonderful1908
Welcome to the class. Teaching can be the most rewarding but frustrating job in the world. However in hindsight if you make it, it will always be more rewarding. I supervise curriculum and instruction for a department now and I got a chance to teach again this summer and it was fun!

I agree with the others the first day sets the tone for the year. Its always easier to be nicer then to have to become firmer. I actually had a first year teacher I supervise and she turned out to be the best teacher ever, she was so nervous the first week before school.

If you can find that balance it will be the coolest job
Old 07-27-2007, 06:42 PM
GreekChat Member

~trying not to cry~

I can't express enough how fortunate I am to be a part of this message board. You ladies have inspired me so much. I feel like I can walk through those doors like a herd of cattle and handle my bi'ness. Thank you all so much for taking out the time to give me some much-needed advice. I love you guys. This is a huge deal for me, as I've been working on a 3rd degree for the past seven years. I've struggled financially throughout that time, and now I'm ready to get back out there in my profession. I never considered the classroom until last year, when I did substitute teaching just to get my feet wet a little. I LOVED IT!! And now I'm about to be a full-time PROFESSIONAL teacher (or, Choral Director) and have a class all my own. I expect this first year to be the most challenging, but if I can get through this year, I'm sure it'll get easier as I go. Thank you all again for helping me with this. You all make me so proud everyday that I'm a part of this board.

And Soror AKA2D 91, I've been trying to get my hands on that Harry Wong First Days of School book for two months now. I love that book, as well as Harry Wong's speeches. (He's hilarious!!) Every workshop or seminar I've gone to where they hand the book out free, I always end up getting the short hand of the stick because they'd always run out. Other places I've gone, they would simply let us BORROW the book, but wouldn't let us keep it. I guess I'll just have to break down and BUY it. It's not like I haven't read it twice already, though.
#1 - Spring 2000

Old 07-27-2007, 06:50 PM
GreekChat Member

$17 on Amazon.
Old 07-28-2007, 02:11 AM
GreekChat Member

LikeASista, I share the same feelings. This will actually be my 5th year teaching, but I am trying to make the move from a small, private high school to a large, urban, public high school. I am continuously praying over this b/c I feel this is where I am called to go but I have heard nothing but horror stories about this school. There is supposed to be a firm outer shell that we present to the students those first few weeks...so, where can I go to buy one of those???
Old 07-29-2007, 03:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA2D '91 View Post
$17 on Amazon.
I got one even better. How 'bout $5 on Ebay, soror?
#1 - Spring 2000

Old 07-29-2007, 03:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PremierePearl08 View Post
There is supposed to be a firm outer shell that we present to the students those first few weeks...so, where can I go to buy one of those???
LMAO!! That has been my experience with learning about the district here. I'll hear all these horror stories, then the teller goes, "... but I LOVE it, though, girl." Good luck with your decision. Besides, if you've been teaching for five years already, I'm sure you'll do well. I hope all goes well.
#1 - Spring 2000

Old 08-02-2007, 12:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Good job!

RE: Ebay deal