GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,187
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,206
2 members and 1,204 guests
No Members online

Old 11-11-2007, 10:59 PM
GreekChat Member

A chapter in need of some recruiting help

I am a Recruitment Advisor for a chapter at a mid-sized school. There are five sororities on campus, and campus total is 65. When I was an undergraduate student six or seven years ago, our chapter was always at capacity.

Rewind a few years and suddenly membership is declining. Fall 2006 was the lowest point, with 22 active sisters going into formal recruitment. We now stand strong at 43 women, but are still lagging behind the other four chapters that are at total. This fall, I put together an intense year long plan that will bring in quality women. If followed, this plan will bring the chapter to total by summer term (they're on the quarter system).

Has anyone had any difficulty in recruiting quality women who stick around and help the chapter to grow? We're finally on the right track, but I'm looking for some suggestions as to how to seek out PNMs, and how to motivate sisters to follow through with them. I often feel like I'm the VP of Recruitment, doing some of the prospecting myself.

Thanks!

Last edited by tlc1934; 11-14-2007 at 04:48 PM. Reason: don't want my identity revealed
Old 11-11-2007, 11:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc1934 View Post
I am a Recruitment Advisor for a chapter at a Northern private school. There are five sororities on campus, and campus total is 65. When I was an undergraduate student six or seven years ago, our chapter was always at capacity at often had a waiting list.
I'm confused how a chapter could have women on a "waiting list"?

Do you mean like a waiting list for living in the house?
Old 11-12-2007, 01:19 AM
GreekChat Member

This was a good thread:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...hapters+chosen

Lakers Nation.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas*princess View Post
I'm confused how a chapter could have women on a "waiting list"?

Do you mean like a waiting list for living in the house?
I thought the same thing.

Are the chapters nationals or locals?
Old 11-12-2007, 11:07 AM

Have there been any recent internal struggles that made women drop out? Have a candle pass or retreat and get all that stuff talked out. If there are girls who insist on letting grudges and such fester, terminate their butts.

Was your class distribution unequal? Each woman should be participating in a campus activity outside the sorority - hopefully something where they can meet underclassmen. WEAR LETTERS!!! Encourage the girls to eat in the cafeteria or campus eateries instead of just going back to the house - prospective members can't see them or meet them if they're just going to class and going back to the house.

If you feel like you're the VP of recruitment - you need to step off a bit. You can't do things FOR them. I realize it's your chapter of initiation and you want it to be successful, but if you're picking out rushees and saying "these are the women you want" you are going beyond what an advisor - even a recruitment advisor - is supposed to do.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to arkadpi
If your numbers are small enough to be noticable during recruitment, it's not unheard of to ask for other chapters to come and help you during rush. When my pledge class went through recruitment, a house that I didn't end up pledging brought in girls that were from a nearby chapter and it helped not only their numbers as far as in-house girls picking up PNMs at the door, but their overall appeal as a chapter. Ask some sisters for help. Also, when recruiting formally or open recruiting, be sure your members keep in mind that they have to target the right kind of girl, especially ones that are involved in extracurriculars (so they can be seen as a rep. of your house on campus) and ones that want to be involved within the house (since you seem to be lacking motivation and leadership). It sounds silly, but quality matters over quanitity. Unmotivated members hurt chapters more than those below quota with motivated members. Also, very visible on-campus philanthropy events are a good way to build positive PR. Hope it helps!