Threads: 115,590
Welcome to our newest member, LoganX7
» Online Users: 1,083
0 members and 1,083 guests
No Members online

Old 10-15-2005, 10:20 PM
GreekChat Member

How NOT to act

So yes this is a common sense thread but the PR chair and I are putting on a program about how to act at socials/mixers for our newly initiated sisters. We want to make it somewhat humorous but yet informative. Please we will take any suggestions on either how TO act or how NOT to act at socials/mixers.

Thanks!
Old 10-15-2005, 11:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sageofages
Re: How NOT to act

Quote:
Originally posted by quillogold
So yes this is a common sense thread but the PR chair and I are putting on a program about how to act at socials/mixers for our newly initiated sisters. We want to make it somewhat humorous but yet informative. Please we will take any suggestions on either how TO act or how NOT to act at socials/mixers.

Thanks!
You mean as in

"only accept beverages handed to you by anyone you know AND trust" and "keep your drink in your hand at all times" in today's world of rohypnol (sp)?
Old 10-16-2005, 12:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Long-distance information, give me Memphis, Tennessee!
Do a skit!
Old 10-16-2005, 12:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: How NOT to act

Quote:
Originally posted by sageofages
You mean as in

"only accept beverages handed to you by anyone you know AND trust" and "keep your drink in your hand at all times" in today's world of rohypnol (sp)?
Yeah that's kind of where I'm going but I also mean like "don't hook up on the busride" and "don't drink underage" and "don't puke", etc.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:53 PM
GreekChat Member

The sister is responsible for anyone she brings to a social; if they get drunk, unruly, offensive then the sister and offending party will be asked to leave. i.e Don't bring a date to Formal that will get trashed and make fun of your patron, loudly, during dinner.
Old 10-16-2005, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

*If you are of age, DRINK RESPONSIBLY. Yes, it's fun to drink at a social, it's NOT fun to fall out and puke in front of all the boys.

*No hanky panky at the event. Ew.

*Respect the property you're hosting the event on, whether it be the fraternities' home, a party center, country club, etc. Trashing the venue will RUIN any chances of your chapter being able to book that place in the future.

Lakers Nation.
Old 10-16-2005, 03:08 PM
GreekChat Member

*Do not hook up with 2 frat boys at once. They will NOT be discreet about it, and yes, you will be embarassed about it, as will your sisters at a later date.
*Try not to get drunk and hook up with frat boys in general. Most of them have girlfriends in other sororities and it always creates unwanted drama and chaos and is the root of most of the problems with other GLO's on campus.
*Just because you become brave and think it is appropriate to kick someone's ass from that other sorority/fraternity that you hate because you are intoxicated, does not mean this is the wisest idea. Don't get pissed off at your sisters when they tell you this and try to stop you.
Old 10-16-2005, 03:32 PM
GreekChat Member

have you considered a section on how not to dress? we had a "fashion show" during bid week each year to help show new members (and sometimes remind older members) what to wear and what not to wear to exchanges, fraternity parties, etc...
Old 10-16-2005, 03:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by alphaxikt
have you considered a section on how not to dress? we had a "fashion show" during bid week each year to help show new members (and sometimes remind older members) what to wear and what not to wear to exchanges, fraternity parties, etc...
That's a good one. Classy not Trashy is always a positive .
Old 10-18-2005, 11:04 PM
GreekChat Member

When dancing, both feet must be kept on the floor.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Some simple things that, at least from this guy's view, are appreciated in terms of risk management, courtesy to the hosts, etc. (some of these might vary based on your campus, but this is taking the most conservative view and will keep anyone from getting in trouble). These are all things that pissed the hell out of me when I had a party house and freshmen girls would come over.

*Do NOT go outside! Especially if you are underage, drunk or loud. I don't care how long the line for the bathroom is, or how hot/loud it is (maybe if youre hot, you could take off your coat, and if you really can't use your cell inside, ask me if you can go into another room). I have neighbors who don't appreciate 20 people running around outside. People outside a party house is the easiest thing to fix to avoid getting a party busted.

*Do not pee outside...that's about the worse thing ever, and the surest thing that will get neighbors to call the cops.

*Be frugal with the toilet paper...I NEVER went through as much toilet paper in one year as I did last year, I was constantly out. Also, the tri-delts twice flooded my bathroom b/c they were using so much.

*If something happens that is far beyond your ability to take care of on your own (eg. the toilet floods) GET THE HOUSE OWNER ASAP or tell one of the fraternity members. If the girls who flooded my bathroom would have just told someone about 10 minutes earlier when they first did it, then it would have made everyone's life easier.

*Do not go into rooms that have the door closed, without getting permission. There is probably a damn good reason why that door is shut...especially if it has been shut all night.

*If you absolutely must smoke, make sure to find someplace appropriate. Many leases have no smoking clauses, but the garage is usually a safe bet.

*If some older guys starts yelling at you to stop doing whatever it is you are doing...don't get pissed off b/c he's ruining your fun, more than likely it's his house and he's doing you the favor by hosting your little underage drinkfest, and whatever youre doing is dangerous and/or stupid.

*Don't go into the cabinets or the refridgerator, and keep your fucking hands off my food, and my good bottles of alcohol. If there is no mixer left, don't assume that the half open carton of OJ is for you.

*If the guys ask you to pitch in with the cost of alcohol, don't get pissed off that you have pay $2-5 for one night of binge drinking (never mind the fact that you're drinking for free most nights)...in less than three years youre going to be paying 4x that amount to go to the bars and that will be a cheap night for you.

*Remember, you are representing your sorority at all times. Any sort of things you do will characterize the rest of your house. After the two flooding incidents, Tri-delt was no longer welcome at my house...

*Also, it is probably 100% likely that any older fraternity members know girls in your house, and if you do something dumb, or steal my stuff, or break something, or just generally cause problems, it will get back to your house/chapter.

*Finally, if the cops do come: First, shut up if someone tells you to be quiet - please hang up your phone too. Second, put down your beer or cup (typical MIP probable cause). Third, if the cops bust the party, leave as they tell you to, don't try to exit out the back door/hide/go through a window, do not say a word, and for god's sake don't talk about how drunk you are. When outside, call sober sis, or let some other sober person take you home. Do not drive home (saw that DUI happen...). Also, don't talk about going to another party, b/c the cops may follow you there, and then you've busted up another party.

EDITED TO ADD:

Along with the not going outside, do not take cups or cans or bottles out with you. Never know when a cop may pass by and see you with it. Also, NEVER, NEVER take drinks into the sober drivers car.

Last edited by Betarulz!; 10-19-2005 at 06:55 PM.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Do you have a Sober Sister program? This might be something worth discussing, so every sister understands exactly what to do in case someone needs help or if there is an emergency. The Sober Sister program (preferably about 2 or 3 sisters at each party) has worked very well for my chapter, and I would recommend instituting such a program if you don't have one already.
Old 01-01-2006, 01:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KDMafia
I like the idea of a skit, we always do one during our new member program when describing to the new members what to wear with their pin or to meetins or out to parties. They enjoy it and the sisters who have the "wrong" attire really love to come up with the craziest or sluttiest outfits they can find.

So maybe just have a person having a good time vs a person who you know you would all laugh at if you saw her at a party.
I don't know if anyone here watches family guy at all but the image of wrong i have is of during the stewie movie. Lois is drunk and falls forward and starts wiggling her a$$ in the air yelling, "Hey Peter!! GET ON!!" it's hilarous and is definitely an example of wrong behavior
Old 01-01-2006, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator

In a show of poor fashion choices, there's a LOT of normally non-slutty attire that becomes nasty looking after a few drinks. I'm thinking about the wrap-around top or dress, the one sleeved formal, the low cut jeans that look fine - until you sit down, t-shirts that don't feel tight until they "accidentally" get wet, etc. It would be good to show how to avoid or fix these disasters.

And I'm with Pam - drinks in cups should be served in cups slightly larger than Dixie Cups! You should always be able to just leave it or lose it quickly.

BetaRulz gives some REALLY good ideas about what to do if the police arrive, and if there's an emergency (plumbing or otherwise) at a party. One thing I would add is that if a door is closed, and you hear a woman screaming & crying, get a guy to go in with you - do NOT try to stop violent behavior on your own!

Oh, and unless you're being paid to do so, never, ever dance on the furniture! That goes for your own house/suite/whatever, too!
Old 01-01-2006, 05:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
Quote:
Originally posted by honeychile
In a show of poor fashion choices, there's a LOT of normally non-slutty attire that becomes nasty looking after a few drinks.
Oh, gosh, yes! Apparently there are quite a few people who don't think to wear clothes that are "drunk proof" when they go out--i.e. we should always make sure that our shirt isn't cut low enough that our bra (or worse) might be on display if we happen to bend over, that our strappy tank tops will stay where they belong if we are moving around, stuff like that. Even though an outfit might look cute standing still, that's no guarantee you won't be putting on a show when you've had a few and aren't being as careful. Like, I have a miniskirt that is absolutely adorable, but I don't wear it very often because it tends to sort of ride up as I walk...