GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,155
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,604
2 members and 1,602 guests
naraht, Phrozen Sands

Old 08-20-2012, 09:07 AM
GreekChat Member

FSU Recruitment 2012

In a little more than an hour and a half my daughter will begin recruitment at Florida State University. She met her Rho Gamma last night and says she likes her, so that is a good start.

She is a great kid and I believe that she has a lot to offer to the right group. What makes my wife and I a little nervous is that she tends to be quiet and reserved. She understands that if she is going to make it through this week successfully, that she will have to challenge herself to try to keep conversations flowing smoothly.

She told me that there are 1580 pnms this year! Does anyone know if this is correct? This appears to be almost 300 more than there were last year.

I'm not sure if this thread will be live or with a one day delay. I guess it will be depend on how things go and how much information she is willing to provide us.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Per FSU Panhellenic twitter, that number seems correct for this year but that doesn't mean all of the girls registered will show up. Some register for recruitment only to move into the dorms early. I think last year they had around 1500 PNMs as well (from the FSU Office of Greek Life twitter).

Good luck to your daughter! This rain is a pain but all of the PNMs are in the same boat so tell her to focus on her conversations and not the weather! All of the chapters at FSU are wonderful and I hope she finds her home.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:48 AM
GreekChat Member

FSUDad, be careful of keeping a live Rush thread. Collegians do read Greekchat, and an unintentional slip of extra information on your part could reveal her to readers who would otherwise not know whose recruitment thread you are posting.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Hooray for an FSU recruitment thread and GO NOLES!!!

Good luck to your daughter dad and pass on the advice from beachcomber and marypoppins.

Please keep us updated-the day delay idea is great!
Old 08-20-2012, 01:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck and Best Wishes for your daughter. Yes she will need to get our of her comfort zone - very important to ask questions, be enthusiastic, be genuine, get to know the chapter women, and display enthusiasm about being a part of chapter life.

Do be cautious about what you post during recruitment - after recruitment tales are best and you can see from other stories on this board that generic names until the end are usually best as well.

We will be waiting to hear how it all turns out!!
Old 08-20-2012, 05:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SthrnZeta
Best of luck to her! I know someone on the Greek staff there and that number sounds correct, and it seems to be a national trend already this year (huge PNM groups).
Old 08-20-2012, 10:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Just finished talking to "Shannon" - not her real name of course! It sounded like she had a pretty good day despite the constant rain. Thank you for your words of caution Mary Poppins and PKTKKG. I'll be very cautious.

The PNM's all wore yellow t-shirts today which were provided by Panhellenic. Most of the girls wore shorts.

Apparently, even though the PNM's stayed dry when they were beneath the tents and could use umbrellas while walking between the houses, once the Rho Gamma group was called up to the house, each PNM had to leave her belongings with the Rho Gamma - which meant she had to stand uncovered until the door opened - the bottom line is you were going to get wet.

The girls in her group seemed to take it in stride.

I've decided to use the names of cities in Florida for the various groups at FSU (excluding Gainesville, of course, since this is an FSU thread!). So here goes:

Today she visited Ocala, Tampa, Venice, Naples, Jacksonville, Orlando, Daytona Beach, and Miami. At some of the parties it was very loud and difficult to hear conversations. Her conversations at Ocala seemed the most natural, and she had a common interest with her primary host at Tampa. Her host at Jacksonville talked with her all the way to the door, which she took as a good sign. The girls she talked to at Miami talked about some funny things which she liked and she described the girl she spoke with at Daytona Beach as "being very down to earth".

For lunch each Rho Gamma group went to Suwannee Hall for lunches provided by Panhellenic.

Overall she felt that the conversations went well and that she would be interested in returning to every single house.

They start over tomorrow with a Rho Gamma group meeting at 10:30 am followed by parties at the rest of the houses.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUDad View Post
Just finished talking to "Shannon" - not her real name of course! It sounded like she had a pretty good day despite the constant rain. Thank you for your words of caution Mary Poppins and PKTKKG. I'll be very cautious.

The PNM's all wore yellow t-shirts today which were provided by Panhellenic. Most of the girls wore shorts.

Apparently, even though the PNM's stayed dry when they were beneath the tents and could use umbrellas while walking between the houses, once the Rho Gamma group was called up to the house, each PNM had to leave her belongings with the Rho Gamma - which meant she had to stand uncovered until the door opened - the bottom line is you were going to get wet.

The girls in her group seemed to take it in stride.

I've decided to use the names of cities in Florida for the various groups at FSU (excluding Gainesville, of course, since this is an FSU thread!). So here goes:

Today she visited Ocala, Tampa, Venice, Naples, Jacksonville, Orlando, Daytona Beach, and Miami. At some of the parties it was very loud and difficult to hear conversations. Her conversations at Ocala seemed the most natural, and she had a common interest with her primary host at Tampa. Her host at Jacksonville talked with her all the way to the door, which she took as a good sign. The girls she talked to at Miami talked about some funny things which she liked and she described the girl she spoke with at Daytona Beach as "being very down to earth".

For lunch each Rho Gamma group went to Suwannee Hall for lunches provided by Panhellenic.

Overall she felt that the conversations went well and that she would be interested in returning to every single house.

They start over tomorrow with a Rho Gamma group meeting at 10:30 am followed by parties at the rest of the houses.
Go Tampa!

My daughter has lots of her high school buddies going through rush at FSU (and UF) Wishing them all good luck and that they each find a perfect home. Good luck to Shannon too!
Old 08-21-2012, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator

How was her experience at Naples, Dad?
Old 08-21-2012, 09:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
How was her experience at Naples, Dad?
FSUZeta, you started off my day with a good chuckle! I don't have my notes with me at the office so I can't give you more particular info, but I can say that her visit with "Naples" went just fine.

BTW if any other Moms or Dads out there have daughters who are going through recruitment at FSU, please join in on this thread. Let's all go through this together.

The forecast is for a 100% chance of rain for this afternoon, so it looks like the weather today will be similar to yesterday .
Old 08-21-2012, 09:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUDad View Post
The forecast is for a 100% chance of rain for this afternoon, so it looks like the weather today will be similar to yesterday .
When I went through recruitment a few years ago at FSU, it was constantly pouring thanks to a tropical storm. Good thing it was totally worth it! You're daughter will get through it, I promise!!

Looking forward to hearing more of her story!
Old 08-21-2012, 10:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Yay for Naples! My parents spend a month there every summer and we've gone with them a couple of times - beautiful town! Go Naples!
Old 08-21-2012, 10:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Hi! I have been lurking here since my daughter participated in recruitment at FSU last year. She did pledge a house and is currently on the other side of recruitment. I know it has been said a million times on this site, but I think some of the best advice for a PNM is to keep an open mind. Advise your daughter to avoid the tent talk and gossip about tiers, and reflect on the chapters that she feels must comfortable in and with young women most like her. Unfortunately most PNM's will be cut from chapters that they like at some point in recruitment, but in the end if she keeps an open mind and maximizes her options, she should find a great house. Best wishes to you and your daughter! I was more anxious than my daughter this time last year!
Old 08-21-2012, 11:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Yea! I love it when Dad's come on here and tell recruitment stories!!! I hope your daughter is having a great time!
Old 08-21-2012, 11:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Well, my daughter is also there and I have to say that she was the most excited after her visits yesterday than I've seen her about the school. She also said that it was very difficult to hear but thought that she kept the conversation going.

I hope it keeps going this way, and there is a long road ahead. I would think that when they get their list tomorrow of what houses they are going is when the excitement and hopefully not to much disappointment will begin. But they need to realize that a house you might have not been so crazy about yesterday could be a house that you are crazy about today.

Wishing all good luck.