Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, craig171
» Online Users: 875
1 members and 874 guests
No Members online

Old 05-15-2008, 02:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Wedding gift question

So none of the previous wedding gift threads discussed this and my internet search concluded with the options of giving cash or a gift card so I figured I'd ask you all. I'm in the bridal party for a destination wedding (the second marriage for the bride, first for the groom). The couple already lives together and have two kids. They haven't registered anywhere and since they've been living together for some time, I can't imagine they need random household stuff (i.e. platters, serving bowls, etc.). Any suggestions for a gift besides cash or a gift card? I'm planning on spending about $100.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:52 PM
GreekChat Member

The old stand by would be charity donation. You could also get them a service that you know they would enjoy. For a bride I would thing a facial or mani/pedi gift certificate. For the groom maybe something specific to a hobby he has. If they have a shared hobby that would be best.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGirl View Post
The old stand by would be charity donation. You could also get them a service that you know they would enjoy. For a bride I would thing a facial or mani/pedi gift certificate. For the groom maybe something specific to a hobby he has. If they have a shared hobby that would be best.
I know they like camping, but I'm not sure what a good "camping" gift would be. I haven't camped since I was a kid. Any campers know of a fun new camping item???
Old 05-15-2008, 03:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Gift cards to Dick's Sporting Goods or another store that sells camping-related items.

Lakers Nation.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:01 PM
GreekChat Member

No Dick's in SD. REI would be a good place though. Are they the tent on a beach/mountain type or the let's go to the river/desert type?
Old 05-15-2008, 04:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGirl View Post
No Dick's in SD. REI would be a good place though. Are they the tent on a beach/mountain type or the let's go to the river/desert type?
I think beach/mountain type. I was looking at REI's website and was considering getting them a portable grill/stove thing.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:21 PM
GreekChat Member

I thought this hammock looked cool. http://www.rei.com/product/708210

Old 05-15-2008, 05:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Have you asked the bride if there's anything she would like or needs? If you're in the bridal party, you're in a position where you're close enough to her to be able to ask. Then, maybe you and the others in the bridal party can go in together for a gift.

I know you said no gift certificates, but I think a great gift would be a gift certificate to a restaurant or spa in their honeymoon destination.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:27 PM
GreekChat Member

How much would it cost to sponsor a night at their favorite camp ground? It's a little more unique than a night at a local bed and breakfast-though that might be a nice gift as well-a night away from the kids with no travel.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf View Post
I know you said no gift certificates, but I think a great gift would be a gift certificate to a restaurant or spa in their honeymoon destination.
I absolutely agree with this. I had friends who had been living together for many years and did not want to register for household goods, if fact, didn't register for anything at all. A group of us got them a snorkling trip in Tahti (where they were honeymooning) through the hotel they were staying at.
Old 05-16-2008, 02:11 AM
GreekChat Member

REI's a sacred place for outdoors-loving folk. I was at the flagship Seattle store twice last week while they were having the big sale. Anyway, if they like to camp, maybe get them a season pass to national/state parks, which they sell at the stores. People are particular about things like day packs, sleeping bags and event tents, though, so I wouldn't get that specific.
Old 05-16-2008, 03:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
I worship REI. They sell these fantastic running socks that are heaven for your feet. And cheap bike shorts.

That's neither here nor there, but yeah, a gift certificate to REI or the Parks membership would be awesome I think. If you wanted to dress it up, you could buy two ponchos and s'more fixins and box them up so they'd have something to unwrap.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for all the suggestions! They aren't going on a honeymoon so paying for something there is out. But the other ideas are great, I need to go to REI this weekend.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck! Another idea-- you can purchase an annual national parks pass for both of them -- good at any national park. Great for day trips and hikes.
Old 05-16-2008, 01:45 PM
GreekChat Member

REI has an insanely generous return policy. If you buy them gear they can easily return or exchange it. I'm leaving tomorrow for an archaeology dig in Alaska and got all my gear through them. They will send any returns or exchanges I need to the middle of freaking nowhere, and even if I am out with the bears and bison, use the stuff and it isn't that great, I can still return it.

Plus the membership allows for dividends, which is nice for more gear next year.