Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,242
3 members and 1,239 guests
Xidelt

Old 07-09-2004, 06:14 PM
GreekChat Member

need help with a rush idea!

Hey girls!

At my university, formal rush takes place in the fall, and on our philanthropy night (the second night of rush) we always have the rushees do an activity that helps one of our philanthropies. Every year since we have been on campus (only about 6 years) we have had the rushees color or decorate small cardboard puzzles that we give to kids on absolutely incredible kid day. But it is getting a little tired and we want to switch it up and try something new. we always decorate the rush room in a campfire theme, with a small camp fire and leaf decorations on the walls etc, so I was thinking of maybe doing an activity going along with that theme.

Does anyone have any ideas?

in IIKE
Melissa
Old 07-09-2004, 07:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nyrdrms
My collegiate chapter set up the room with a camping theme....there was a tent pitched in the corner, we turned the pillars into trees (with butcher paper, fake vines, and real branches), had the ceiling covered in blue balloons with yellow posterboard stars hanging from them (using fishing line and paper clips), set out sleeping bags for everyone to sit on, and made a campfire using cardboard, rocks, twigs/logs, and tissue paper.

For the craft, we design cards out of construction paper for Absolutely Incredible Kid Day and we've also made bead bracelets, decorated toiletry sets for a local camp (the little empty bottles that you put your soaps and shampoos in and the toothbrush holders too....along with a toothbrush), made things with inspirational quotes on them, decorated flower pots....that's all that I can remember off the top of my head. I'm not exactly sure what a "craft" would be for camping, at least nothing that you would be able to donate (s'mores don't exactly work). Good luck! Let us know how it all works out.

~Bekah
Old 07-10-2004, 03:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to gphiangel624
Something that was discussed at the PLC in southern California this year was making those "tie" blankets, or even pillows. You know, where you have two identically-cut pieces of fleece with the ends cut and you tie them together to make a blanket? you can do it for a pillow, too, but I'm not sure exactly how, it was jsut mentioned. That's something that kids can actually use and appreciate in camp.
Old 07-10-2004, 10:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation GAMMIE BUGS

Oh, have I got an idea for you!

In the past (up until this year) we have made "gammie bugs" that we give to the local children's hospital.

How do you make a gammie bug? Easy...

1. Take a sock and stuff it with cotton batting (pillow stuffing).
2. Tie off the end of the sock with a rubber band.
3. Use 3-4 rubber bands or pipecleaners to make "sections", imagine a catapiller.
4. Decorate with eyes, feathers, rinestones, pipecleaners, etc.

They turn out super cute and they're all different!

Love in IIKE,
Britni
Texas A&M - CC
Zeta Lambda Chapter
Old 07-13-2004, 12:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Commerce if I'm at school, Garland if I'm at home. But I'll always be in Texas!
Send a message via AIM to brinagale
Hey we do the camping theme also and in past years we have always made bracelets but this year we will be decorating visors. Something different and I think that the little girls will love them!