GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,155
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,193
0 members and 1,193 guests
No Members online

Old 08-29-2007, 03:55 PM
GreekChat Member

San Diego State U -- Delta Zeta Will Return

Article on SDSU recruitment mentions that Delta Zeta is returning (re-colonizing, I assume) after the regular recrutiment period:

http://media.www.thedailyaztec.com/m...-2941571.shtml

Brief excerpts from article:

Because of the projected expansion of Greek life, SDSU has renewed the charter of the Delta Zeta sorority.

. . . after losing Sigma Kappa, which struggled with membership last year, Greek life has welcomed Delta Zeta to accommodate the increased number of new members. Delta Zeta is planning on beginning its recruitment process, based "on a breed of women who are interested in starting a new organization," . . . after the Panhellenic sororities have finished theirs. It will open its house during the last week of September.

Last edited by exlurker; 08-29-2007 at 03:59 PM.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:25 PM

Congratulations. I did not realize that SDSU was open for expansion. Or do NPC rules allow for a campus to contact a sorority that has previously been on campus and invite them back?

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 08-29-2007, 04:51 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
Congratulations. I did not realize that SDSU was open for expansion. Or do NPC rules allow for a campus to contact a sorority that has previously been on campus and invite them back?
Don't quote me on this, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that sororities previously on campus are given invitations to re-colonize before new sororities can come on? Someone with the Green Book can answer your question more accurately, I'm sure.

I think it would also depend on the campus and the circumstances in which the chapter closed. I've also heard of instances where chapters have agreements with the campus to come back after a specified amount of time.

Did DZ close before or after ADPi did at SDSU? I know SK closed earlier this year.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
Don't quote me on this, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that sororities previously on campus are given invitations to re-colonize before new sororities can come on? Someone with the Green Book can answer your question more accurately, I'm sure.

I think it would also depend on the campus and the circumstances in which the chapter closed. I've also heard of instances where chapters have agreements with the campus to come back after a specified amount of time.
It is a courtesy to ask a group that's been there before back, but not required and certainly not done all the time. They may have had an agreement to come back in X number of years if campus conditions warranted it.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Glad to see DZ at SDSU!

Last year was a record year at SDSU, 750 women went through recruitment and quota was 68 or 69. A couple of the houses had pledge classes of 72. I'm glad to see an additional house there!

Beta Lambda of Gamma Phi Beta- Go AZTECS!!

GPhiB
Old 08-29-2007, 08:08 PM
GreekChat Member

And I'm so happy that the late unpleasantness hasn't hurt DZ in expansion!
Old 08-29-2007, 08:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
And I'm so happy that the late unpleasantness hasn't hurt DZ in expansion!
Hopefully it doens't hurt them, but I think we will have to wait and see. SDSU no doubt chose Delta Zeta to colonize before the "unpleasantness" surfaced in the media. It may or may not hurt them. Since there will be national officers there, some smart PNMs might start asking questions.

Last edited by violetpretty; 08-30-2007 at 03:36 PM.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Delta Zeta is really excited about the recolonization and we've done very well in recruitment at other campuses thus far.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Way to go, D Z!

Delta Zeta's recruitment results thus far are very impressive!
Old 08-30-2007, 10:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks, SWTXBelle!! Looks like Gamma Phi Beta is doing great, as well! Congrats!
Old 08-30-2007, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

Well, the multi-click feature isn't working for me, but I'm fairly certain that both OTW and 33girl are right. I know that, unless a GLO was kicked off of campus for hazing or whatever, then I'd rather see a recolonization than bringing on a whole new GLO.

Of course, at Pitt, so many chapters went inactive at some point, there would be at least five sororities (off the top of my head) who could recolonize first! Those would be Kappa Alpha Theta, Phi Sigma Sigma, Phi Mu, Zeta Tau Alpha, and Alpha Xi Delta. There may be more...

Edited to Add: Congratulations to Delta Zeta!

Last edited by honeychile; 08-30-2007 at 12:02 PM.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
Congratulations. I did not realize that SDSU was open for expansion.
The opening was announced in early 2005-2006. I don't recall the exact number. Sometimes when a group is invited to colonize they can work out a timeline that is a bit delayed.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZHBrown View Post
Delta Zeta is really excited about the recolonization and we've done very well in recruitment at other campuses thus far.
No shocker that the incident hasn't hurt existing chapters. I think PNMs can separate the chapters from the national. I am just worried because when a recolonization/colonization/reorganization occurs, it is women from national interviewing PNMs. Hopefully all goes well!
Old 08-30-2007, 03:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
Well, the multi-click feature isn't working for me, but I'm fairly certain that both OTW and 33girl are right. I know that, unless a GLO was kicked off of campus for hazing or whatever, then I'd rather see a recolonization than bringing on a whole new GLO.

Of course, at Pitt, so many chapters went inactive at some point, there would be at least five sororities (off the top of my head) who could recolonize first! Those would be Kappa Alpha Theta, Phi Sigma Sigma, Phi Mu, Zeta Tau Alpha, and Alpha Xi Delta. There may be more...
Even if a sorority has been kicked off for hazing, drugs, whatever, after all of those members have graduated (ie at least 5 years to be sure), I'd have no qualms about letting that sorority come back.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryGPhiB View Post
Last year was a record year at SDSU, 750 women went through recruitment and quota was 68 or 69. A couple of the houses had pledge classes of 72. I'm glad to see an additional house there!

Beta Lambda of Gamma Phi Beta- Go AZTECS!!
MerryGPhiB!

How did I not notice or realize that you are a Beta Lambda?!?!?!?!

I'm the SD Alumnae MVP, on Beta Lambda House Corp Board and am Beta Lambda's new university Faculty-Staff Adviser! LOL!!! If you're a live-in, be sure to pop by the HCB meeting this Wednesday evening to say hello!

.....Kelly

True and Constant