GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,164
Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, ibtisamkhan
» Online Users: 891
1 members and 890 guests
KDKells

Old 05-10-2013, 04:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Adopting a little

Hi everybody!
I am currently an active member of Chi Omega with two lovely littles (: Recently though I have bonded with another girl, and so has my big and twins. The other night both by big and a little came to me saying that they wish we could adopt her into our family. Personally, I would be so down to have her as my little and I know my twins would agree! I believe this happened in my chapter before, but it was when a big DA-d. I was just wondering if anyone knew the policy on adopting another little? Thanks so much <3

Oh shoot, I should probably add that this girl's big graduated last quarter and moved out of the area. Promise I'm not trying to steal a little right out from under someone, she just fits in so perfectly with all the members of my family
Old 05-10-2013, 04:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I would say you should ask someone in your chapter. Honestly, a "big" sister's duties are technically over following her sponsorship of the "little" through initiation. So anything you do at this point is probably handled on a local chapter level. In my chapter, for this reason, we didn't do anything "official," but I remember someone being "adopted" and they celebrated with a candle pass. Others just announced it to friends and bought gifts. I don't think these adoptions are anything official to any sorority; correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:09 PM

She has a big. Her big was a good and loving big to her, and she GRADUATED. That happens. You don't need to "adopt" her - that would be super offensive to the big. If you want to include her at times when there are family dinners, pictures etc so she doesn't feel alone, that's fine, but formalizing it (i.e. killing off her previous family line) is needless. Does she not have a little yet?
Old 05-10-2013, 04:24 PM
GreekChat Member

33girl,
The more I think about my question, the more ridiculous it sounds. I would never want to do that to her big or family! In my mind I don't think I ever intended to formalize it, this was just a very rash posting.

I do want to clarify though that I find no fault in the girl's current big, and certainly hold nothing against her for graduating! I know she got an amazing opportunity right after graduation and completely deserved it! Like I said, I think in the back of my mind I knew I would never formalize it; that is so unnecessary.

Thanks everyone for the input (and helping me realize how bad that idea was)!
Old 05-10-2013, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
IMO

adpiucf & 33girl gave you excellent advice.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to flirt5721
I would shy away from this. It causes a lot of problems. I experienced a situation where the girls big left for a year, she was adopted by someone else in another family because she didn't connect with the others in her family, her big came back and it was just a weird feeling when the old big and adopted big were around. Unless she is the last one in her family line and is not going to get a little before she gradutes, go for it. But if her family line is still there don't do it.

"The Pen is Mightier Than the Sword"
Land of Entrapment has me again